Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

So a Chicago police officer passed away today from covid and he’s the brother in law of one of my coworkers.  Really starting to hit home.  Can’t imagine what they’re going through not even being able to see him, say goodby, or even plan a proper funeral.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

or even plan a proper funeral.

thats the part that gets me. no funerals? damn

even mortuary's businesses are failing. Prostitutes are going hungry too. Literally the oldest profession on earth is no longer operating right now. Thats nuts. You would have thought a mortuary would be the most stable business in the world because there are always people dying. 

6 hours ago, mission27 said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci re #seasonality: 

"I think there will be some effect. I think when the country, as a country, gets into the summer, that we're going to get some positive effect."

@mistakey

I got cussed out on another forum suggesting that weather, immunity, and the fact Coronaviruses in general don't mutate very rapidly or effectively may lead to a less disastrous summer.

COVID-19 hasn't mutated much at all thus far. That could be because it's already spreading at a fast rate so it has no reason to, but still, that buys us a lot of time. Recent studies have suggested warm weather may slow down the virus. Finally, there is always a bit of an immunity period after first infection. Antibodies are produced and linger around. The question is- how long does it linger around? We gain immunity for a majority of Coronaviruses for at least a year or two. 

Apparently I'm exactly like Trump for speaking blasphemy when in fact I've been reiterating what a lot of well renowned scientists and health officials have been saying. This is going to be awful in the short-term, but I'm hopeful it won't wreak havoc like it does today during the summer and beyond. 

If we don't gain immunity , then we're at the mercy of this virus until a vaccine is found. That would make this the ultimate virus, because damn near every other virus our body is able to fight off offers us immunity for bit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

How do you get over this thing?

Every time I feel like I'm getting there, a few hours later I'm feeling lousy again.

Just remind yourself that there are a lot of smart minds out there working on a vaccine. States are starting to take this serious. Way too late, obviously, and many people will die because of it, but it will eventually flatten the curve.

Also, Antibody tests are now FDA approved. This will be a game changer once we find out for sure whether immunity is gained. If immunity is gained, we can then test for antibodies in people. Anyone who has a presence of antibodies will have already contracted the virus, gained immunity, and can then be released to society. Seasonal effects + less bodies for the virus to spread to= the virus losing traction.

This is the optimistic view, of course. If immunity isn't gained, then be prepared to be in and out of lock-downs for the next year until a cure is found. 

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Will it be enough to matter?

If the virus was just starting to ramp up in summer? No, it wouldn't matter much, imo, but weather+ immunity being gained+ antibody testing (may)= a much less severe summer where we can ease lock-downs. It's still unclear at this point. Anyone preaching their views as fact is jumping the gun. We'll know much more in the coming weeks once more research and data is released. 

Edited by WizeGuy

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

If the virus was just starting to ramp up in summer? No, it wouldn't matter much, imo, but weather+ immunity being gained+ antibody testing (may)= a much less severe summer where we can ease lock-downs. It's still unclear at this point. Anyone preaching their views as fact is jumping the gun. We'll know much more in the coming weeks once more research and data is released. 

Yes thats why ive shown articles from harvard and johns hopkins who believe seasonality wont matter much and we shouldnt rely on it, showing theres no medical consensus and smart people disagree

48 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Yes thats why ive shown articles from harvard and johns hopkins who believe seasonality wont matter much and we shouldnt rely on it, showing theres no medical consensus and smart people disagree

Those were older studies done in Feb, correct? More recent studies suggest weather will slow the virus, but no one knows how much. Most studies thus far are done through computer modeling based on number of cases in certain areas and not clinical trials, so they're not providing concrete evidence, especially in the midst of a pandemic because, as I said in my previous post, there are so many bodies for this virus to spread to. 

If people start to gain immunity then the seasonal effects may be more prominent. But when there's hardly anyone with immunity the virus has free reign, and the seasonal barriers are comparable to a picket fence trying to slowdown a raging bull.  

Here's an extremely interesting article:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200323-coronavirus-will-hot-weather-kill-covid-19

Edited by WizeGuy