Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

40 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Goddamnit I actually thought that was a clear explanation.

I actually understood a good bit of that from what I remember from my college biology courses. Yay science 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TVScout said:

"Li's team found that some of the most aggressive strains of the virus were able to generate 270 times the viral load as the weakest strains; in addition, the aggressive strains killed the human cells fastest."

PRI_149700409.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z

This is going to be interesting to follow. I would assume if you get one strain of the virus you would still have some immunity to the other strain since it attacks in a similar way. Also, it'll be interesting to see if the deadlier strain dies off which I've read is common when a virus mutates to become more deadly. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

Damn, Cuomo just said 20% of NYC and 13.9% of the entire state of NY have tested positive for antibodies thus far. That's a crazy #. Hopefully immunity last- it'll slow the spread tremendously in the densely populated areas. 

Edit: Estimates the mortality rate to be .55-.66. The higher end includes in-home deaths. Also, some participants had the virus 6 weeks ago and still have antibodies. As most of us expected, immunity should last at least a few months then...hopefully longer.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

This is going to be interesting to follow. I would assume if you get one strain of the virus you would still have some immunity to the other strain since it attacks in a similar way. Also, it'll be interesting to see if the deadlier strain dies off which I've read is common when a virus mutates to become more deadly. 

Possibly. We have multiple flu viruses and each year they try to determine which strains they should vaccinate for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Were... were those real words?

Somewhat related, but ….

English is a stupid language because not only is it three languages (French, Latin, German) standing on each others shoulders in a trench coat pretending to be one; its also carrying luggage filled with Norse relics. Oh and its essentially a trojan horse that will infect you with Spanish, Greek, Portuguese, Swahili, Zulu, Hindi, Italian, among others, completely unbeknownst to you. 

The only reason there is so much damn Greek in science is because a bunch of tryhard, Hellaboos during the Enlightenment wanted to circle jerk about Pythagoras, Hippocrates, Archimedes, Thales and speak to each other in code.

What a mess.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

Somewhat related, but ….

English is a stupid language because not only is it three languages (French, Latin, German) standing on each others shoulders in a trench coat pretending to be one; its also carrying luggage filled with Norse relics. Oh and its essentially a trojan horse that will infect you with Spanish, Greek, Portuguese, Swahili, Zulu, Hindi, Italian, among others, completely unbeknownst to you. 

The only reason there is so much damn Greek in science is because a bunch of tryhard, Hellaboos during the Enlightenment wanted to circle jerk about Pythagoras, Hippocrates, Archimedes, Thales and speak to each other in code.

What a mess.

That and scientists are the least creative, worst name-givers in the history of name-giving.

One of my all time favorite name screw ups is the vital protein BCRP, which is located in a bunch of places but one of the biggest is your spinal fluid. It's job is to clear out junk that you don't want getting to your brain/spinal cord. BCRP stands for "breast cancer research protein", because even though it doesn't have anything to do with breast tissue in a healthy person, when it was first discovered we didn't know how important it was and then we all got collectively too lazy to ever re-name it.

I'll give you 3 guesses to figure out what the guy who discovered BCRP was researching at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Goddamnit I actually thought that was a clear explanation.

It was, thx for writing it
More here for those who want to dive deeper ( nobody)

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/21/watching-for-mutations-in-the-coronavirus

"You can bet that more attempts to correlate viral sequences with such cell assays (and with patient outcomes) are underway as we speak. We need to know if there are nastier varieties out there and how such things might be spreading, of course, and these data are going to have to inform the research groups working on vaccines and monoclonal antibody treatments. Molecular biology, structural biology, cell biology – these disciplines and more are going to reveal the coronavirus’ secrets and tell us how best to fight back. "

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That and scientists are the least creative, worst name-givers in the history of name-giving.

One of my all time favorite name screw ups is the vital protein BCRP, which is located in a bunch of places but one of the biggest is your spinal fluid. It's job is to clear out junk that you don't want getting to your brain/spinal cord. BCRP stands for "breast cancer research protein", because even though it doesn't have anything to do with breast tissue in a healthy person, when it was first discovered we didn't know how important it was and then we all got collectively too lazy to ever re-name it.

I'll give you 3 guesses to figure out what the guy who discovered BCRP was researching at the time.

Why are nerds so lazy and uncreative. Its the same with historians. We occasionally get a cool name like "The Rough Wooing" but its mostly just The _______ of __________ . 

• Like 1

Just now, animaltested said:

Why are nerds so lazy and uncreative. Its the same with historians. We occasionally get a cool name like "The Rough Wooing" but its mostly just The _______ of __________ . 

It's horrific. And we name stuff in the order it was discovered, all with numbers. So we don't just have COX as a pathway to memorize or maybe there's a few different COX-like pathways but they're numbered in order of important or something. Nope. There's COX-1, COX-2, and you can just keep going and going with no rhyme or reason to why.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's horrific. And we name stuff in the order it was discovered, all with numbers. So we don't just have COX as a pathway to memorize or maybe there's a few different COX-like pathways but they're numbered in order of important or something. Nope. There's COX-1, COX-2, and you can just keep going and going with no rhyme or reason to why.

All to have it neatly organized in a table for journals and textbooks. No consideration for humans in general. Be robot, input =>  processing => output.

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Damn, Cuomo just said 20% of NYC and 13.9% of the entire state of NY have tested positive for antibodies thus far. That's a crazy #. Hopefully immunity last- it'll slow the spread tremendously in the densely populated areas. 

Edit: Estimates the mortality rate to be .55-.66. The higher end includes in-home deaths. Also, some participants had the virus 6 weeks ago and still have antibodies. As most of us expected, immunity should last at least a few months then...hopefully longer.

Yeah .5-.7 CFR from NYC data, I'm guessing the reason that is higher than what we are seeing other places is a combination of... 

1. demographics

2. health care system overload

3. the way they are counting in home deaths

4. possibility that the Italy / NYC strain is deadlier than China / west coast strain

24 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yeah .5-.7 CFR from NYC data, I'm guessing the reason that is higher than what we are seeing other places is a combination of... 

1. demographics

2. health care system overload

3. the way they are counting in home deaths

4. possibility that the Italy / NYC strain is deadlier than China / west coast strain

Also, they didnt test minors, so that likely skewed the death rate a bit since minors dont get hit nearly as severely.

• Like 1