Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

4 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'm still waiting on my first one

If you aren't signed up for direct deposit, the window has closed on the IRS website I believe to sign up for it, but you can still check.  I got mine two weeks ago, and I signed up for the direct deposit two weeks before that.  The rumor was that it could take months for the paper checks to be printed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Somehow it went from "we need to lockdown to flatten the curve" to "anyone who wants to start opening things up only cares about money and not lives"  to "anyone that wants to open up just selfishly wants their hair cut".

Of course it is.  Anything to bully the people who disagree with you.  Both sides are doing it right now, and even the far, far right and far, far left have found common ground.  Politics might destroy us before the virus does. 

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

How long can hospitals afford to put off elective surgeries? There’s a very real scenario where they go bankrupt the longer this goes on.

They reopened hospitals around me for elective surgery last week.

26 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

How long can hospitals afford to put off elective surgeries? There’s a very real scenario where they go bankrupt the longer this goes on.

18 minutes ago, theJ said:

They reopened hospitals around me for elective surgery last week.

Correct. Governor DeWine reopened elective surgeries effective last week. My Brother in Law just had hernia surgery last week and I have another friend who is getting a colonoscopy today...for whatever reason, he didn't seem excited about that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Not very long. We started furloughing jobs a week ago, and shutdown elective cases back in late March. The good news is, we have started elective cases again, so revenue should increase. Still, we would've been severely impacted if this went on for another couple of months. There needs to be another way to generate substantial revenue. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xenos said:

Fauci isn't wrong about the risks, but I think even he would acknowledge that the 14 day reduction in cases is a blunt instrument

Places like Florida, Texas, and California that were never hit particularly hard, aren't at a high risk of becoming hot spots, and are rapidly increasing testing volumes aren't going to see that any time soon, but realistically the risk there is much lower than a place like New York City, where cases have been falling for over a month.  Its appropriate in those places to start relaxing things over the next few weeks

We've seen many states develop more nuanced guidelines that account for things like per capita cases, per capita new cases, R0, percent of tests coming back positive, testing volume, hospital capacity, etc. that are all great metrics to look at too and if a state looks at all that and determines they can open back up, 14 days of declining cases (in a rising testing environment) should not be the end all be all

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

we're doing our best to open up montreal for you

Franky L has to step it up.  This is becoming completely unacceptable and mission and TLO's ancestral people are being grievously harmed.

I personally find those "all other states" numbers not that helpful

The reality is things are getting better in all our major metros that had outbreaks (New York, Detroit, Boston, Chicago, etc.) with the exception of Washington DC and the twin cities 

Cases may be flat or rising in "all other states" but they are not rising nearly as quickly as tests are rising and positive test % is going way down and deaths are going down (even though a lagging indicator).  So its hard to make the argument that things aren't getting better.  I'm sure if you dug into Spain or Italy's numbers, the initial gains were mostly concentrated in Madrid and Lombardy once those active outbreaks were controlled and other areas that ramped up testing more slowly probably did not see the same kind of noticeable improvement as quickly

A better way to look at it IMO is look at the epidemic curves in major metros individually and in the context of testing levels.  When you do that, you see two major problem areas (Minnesota and DC metro) and the rest of the country has looked pretty good the last week or two.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, animaltested said:

So 6 new cases popped up in Wuhan. City Officials plan on testing all 11 million people within the next 10 days. 

Meanwhile, states in the US are BEGGING the feds for few thousand test kits. And are being largely ignored. 

And how again are they going to test 1.1 million people a day?

• Like 1