Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

36 minutes ago, mission27 said:

A new addition to the MoLs, we will be reporting on trends in hospitalizations as well as trends in reported cases (hospitalizations are a cleaner metric because they are less reliant on volume of testing).  The below chart shows week over week changes in hospitalizations for each state for each of the last 7 days and what the two week change is as of today.

You will see hospitalizations are declining sharply in most states, flat in a handful of states, and rising modestly in a few states mainly in the Southwest plus the Carolinas.  Conspicuously missing is Florida, they stopped reporting this data to my source a couple of weeks ago or there may be a reporting lag. 

We will update this daily.

My common sense chart tells me that the CV19 is still VERY much alive and that there are still idiots out there acting as if it doesn't exist anymore.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Im interested to hear what people, especially those some what well versed in science, have to say about getting vaccinated in the fall if Oxford's vaccine is ready by then. Would you do it trusting the process it went through? Would you do your own research before getting it? Would you say f that? 

I'm taking a wait and see approach with any vaccine. Let a few months pass before my family and I get it - but we'd get it eventually.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

My common sense chart tells me that the CV19 is still VERY much alive and that there are still idiots out there acting as if it doesn't exist anymore.

What likely happened is the lock-down slowed the spread tremendously (in my trump voice), and now that some states are being idiotic with the way they've opened up- it's starting to gain traction again.

It seemed to hit the north east and west coast the hardest early on, which is understandable. Once NYC started to get hit by the first wave, and other states started to see sporadic infections- every state shutdown, even states where the virus wasn't prevalent yet. This really took some steam out of the spread. Unfortunately, it was still lingering, so now you're starting to see it creep up again. It will likely hit different areas at different times depending on a boatload of factors, but we have the blueprint of how this nasty little booger attacks- it finds an area with low immunity, spreads slowly at first, then exponential growth kicks in, and it snowballs out of control.

What's scary is NYC locked-down rather quickly, and it took weeks for the deaths and hospitalizations to slow down. Lombardy went through the same thing, so while Arizona is ***** footing around hoping the virus will slow on its own- it's only going to keep spreading until they clamp down on it, and even when they do that- it will take a while for the death and hospitalizations to decline. This virus spreads rapidly, but takes so ******* long to tail off. It's a painfully slow decline.

This is why it's vital states reopen wisely. Sure, many states may have a lot of ICU beds and ventilators. They may be prepared for a surge, but it's unnecessary to allow it to spread so much. They just need to reopen phase by phase, make masks a requirement while indoors, monitor numbers, and make the necessary moves if the positive case% starts to increase because once this bastard gains traction it's a slow and bloody road to slowing it down. The evidence is all around us. We can look at many cities around the world and confidently say once this sick little booger gains traction- you're in for some tough times if you don't act fast. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

What likely happened is the lock-down slowed the spread tremendously (in my trump voice), and now that some states are being idiotic with the way they've opened up- it's starting to gain traction again.

I think states opening up had contributed, yes, but I'd say gathering of many thousands of people, closer to together in the streets, exerting a lot of energy while yelling and screaming has a lot more to do with it. That is basically the exact opposite of what was working to flatten the curve. 

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I think states opening up had contributed, yes, but I'd say gathering of many thousands of people, closer to together in the streets, exerting a lot of energy while yelling and screaming has a lot more to do with it. That is basically the exact opposite of what was working to flatten the curve. 

Arizona's trajectory points back to their reopening date. As for the protests, we havent seen much evidence of spread...yet. It may take a few weeks for exponential growth to hit.

Still, im holding out hope that many people were wearing masks because, as you said, being outside may help a bit, but i doubt it'll make much of a difference when every one is clustered and screaming. 

Hey! The positive is we may have more herd immunity making the second wave much smaller, or may we'll get lucky and this nasty little booger starts to burn out. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Arizona's trajectory points back to their reopening date. As for the protests, we havent seen much evidence of spread...yet. It may take a few weeks for exponential growth to hit.

Still, im holding out hope that many people were wearing masks because, as you said, being outside may help a bit, but i doubt it'll make much of a difference when every one is clustered and screaming. 

Hey! The positive is we may have more herd immunity making the second wave much smaller, or may we'll get lucky and this nasty little booger starts to burn out. 

Luck and/or science will be the only thing to help us for at least this year. It's obvious, as human beings, we'll find a reason to do whatever we want regardless of the repercussions. Fingers crossed it just burns out so we can have semblance of a normal life this year. 

Edited by JTagg7754

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm taking a wait and see approach with any vaccine. Let a few months pass before my family and I get it - but we'd get it eventually.

I'm taking it right away to take advantage of the superpowers it will give me before anyone knows the vaccine gives superpowers. 

I'm hoping for invisibility, but I will settle for mind reading, telekenisis, Wolverine claws with instant healing ability.  I just hope I don't get screwed and grow a third ear. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm taking it right away to take advantage of the superpowers it will give me before anyone knows the vaccine gives superpowers. 

I'm hoping for invisibility, but I will settle for mind reading, telekenisis, Wolverine claws with instant healing ability.  I just hope I don't get screwed and grow a third ear. 

Oh man, you don't want the Wolverine claws and healing. Haven't you seen the movies? That dude suffers a ton physically and emotionally! 

Just give me the ability to fly. Simple, but it'd save me so much money on gas, car maintenance, buying a new car, and would be zen as f***. 

I'll say this:

I'm very pro vaccination.

...BUT:

I'm not going to be in the first wave or people who get this vaccine, nor will my wife or children. Why would we? We aren't high risk, pre-existing condition, and I'm skeptical that they'd release this thing without knowing/accounting for some other side effects/other factors that would happen. Not much upside IMO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll say this:

I'm very pro vaccination.

...BUT:

Nope, I'm not ready to deal with this **** this early in the morning.

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm not going to be in the first wave or people who get this vaccine, nor will my wife or children. Why would we? We aren't high risk, pre-existing condition, and I'm skeptical that they'd release this thing without knowing/accounting for some other side effects/other factors that would happen. Not much upside IMO.

tbh, it should be on the vaccine provider to ensure they distribute the vaccine ethically, not on the general population.

14 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

In related news...

I guess the rising numbers don't matter because economy.

The economy is meant to serve the people. Not to mention that the economy itself takes a hit if the disease spreads again.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Nope, I'm not ready to deal with this **** this early in the morning.

I'll be honest, I 75% posted that exact phrase as "I'm bored, I wonder if Rams is reading" bait.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tbh, it should be on the vaccine provider to ensure they distribute the vaccine ethically, not on the general population.

It absolutely SHOULD be. Then again, I'm extremely skeptical of "Big Pharma" in general. 

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'll be honest, I 75% posted that exact phrase as "I'm bored, I wonder if Rams is reading" bait.

It absolutely SHOULD be. Then again, I'm extremely skeptical of "Big Pharma" in general. 

Even upstart pharma screws this up tbh. See: everything CRISPR

• Like 1