Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is the thing that crossed my mind and scared the christ out of me for a little bit. Thankfully, not everyone needs to get the vaccine for it to work, so the mouth breathing idiots aren't going to tread on the rest of us.

Based on the R0, we'd hit herd immunity at 66% immune with an R0 of 2 (slightly low) or 85% immune with an R0 of 6 (this is the highest reasonable estimate I've seen). So we need somewhere between there for herd immunity. Since I'm lazy, I'll assume the additional buffer we would need to account for a vaccine that is less than 100% efficacious is cancelled out by the percentage of the population who are already immune since they were infected. That means depending on the R0, unless 40% of the country doesn't get the vaccine we'll be okay in the end.

(That won't stop me from being mad if people won't get it, but at least the immunocompromised or other people who may not be able to get it will have some form of protection.)

Break this down for me like I I don't understand, essentially you are saying we don't need 90%+ compliance for a vaccine to be effective but rather something between 66% - 85%? Because anymore than 75% compliance as a baseline would be a tough reality. 

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

It just does nothing to help the conversation tbh. Especially when it’s abundantly clear what his stance is but he doesn’t want to discuss it. 

So you are bothered because of one back and forth you had with him? Good thing you weren't here for the MoLs, you would not have been a fan at those times. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Correct.

Thank god.  Can you imagine we get to a vaccine and a scenario where the Government actually has to force people to get it (sadly I can actually picture that).  I am sure the anti mask and anti vax army would be wild though. 

I've been donating plasma for this thing.

Anyone have experience of plasma, or blood donation?

Every time I've done it I've felt really bloated afterwards, and I'm just wondering if that's normal.

Edit: inexplicably I believe that this place is my best source of info.

Edited by Mega Ron
Because I needed to edit
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mega Ron said:

Every time I've done it I've felt really bloated afterwards, and I'm just wondering if that's normal.

I’ve done blood but not plasma. Never had a bloated feeling that I recall. 

3 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

I'd ask at the clinic the next time you go.

9 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

So you are bothered because of one back and forth you had with him? Good thing you weren't here for the MoLs, you would not have been a fan at those times. 

We’ve never had a back and forth, because he doesn’t discuss anything. 

46 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

I’ve never felt anything different.

Some people feel lightheaded for a bit, but I’ve never heard of bloating as an issue.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

We’ve never had a back and forth, because he doesn’t discuss anything. 

But he’s not wrong about missing the MoLs.  Painful to behold, some people took them seriously, and shockingly mission was wrong on pretty much everything.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve never felt anything different.

Some people feel lightheaded for a bit, but I’ve never heard of bloating as an issue.

Same here.  Donated a few times and never felt anything strange, really.

Just now, SwAg said:

But he’s not wrong about missing the MoLs.  Painful to behold, some people took them seriously, and shockingly mission was wrong on pretty much everything.

I was here. I argued with him about heat killing the virus when literally nothing suggested that. 

23 minutes ago, TVScout said:

I posted a covid article written by the American Academy of Pediatrics on a covid thread and you are asking me for context? xD

Just posting an article with no context does nothing. So you think schools should open up because the article outlined the best way to mitigate risk?