Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I do not understand the requirements to mask the teacher but not the students. That does absolutely nothing. 

Edit: the only reason I say anything is that it seems this is the tactic about every school is taking. Every single one. I just don't understand. It's like they think they're doing something. They're not doing anything. 

Edited by theJ
  • Like 1

One reason to extend the $600 UI:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/17/892393058/how-will-the-expiration-of-federal-unemployment-benefits-affect-u-s-economy?

Many critics of the $600 unemployment benefit say that some people can make more money receiving those payments than if they went back to their jobs or found a new job. How do you respond to people who are concerned about that?

We added 5 million jobs in the month of June. There has been study after study investigating whether or not there's any negative effect on employment from the $600 weekly benefit increase. And everything that we're seeing in these studies suggests not only is there not a negative effect, there might even be a positive effect on employment.

The reality of why people aren't working today has nothing to do with the generosity of unemployment insurance benefits. People aren't working today because there is a virus that's contagious, that's lethal, and that is not being contained. People aren't working today because they don't have child care or paid leave. People aren't working today because there aren't enough safe workplaces for them to go to. The $600 increase, if anything, is stabilizing the economy, growing employment, and has posed no barrier to date on the record increases in employment that we've seen in recent months.

This idea that working-class people will suddenly want to just sit on their butts all day and rake in unemployment is absurd. People want to have meaningful work, that pays a living wage and gives them the option for benefits. We are in a pandemic right now, helloooo...It says more about how we value workers in this country that many working-class jobs do NOT provide benefits or a living wage that should be alarming. It is shocking to me that mostly conservative lawmakers take issue with the fact that people would rather stay safe and have added financial security than put themselves in harm's way just for the sake of the economy. And to think that we would cut off the little safety net that they've provided just to force people into that situation instead of doing something that keeps people safe and will ultimately prove beneficial for the economy blows my mind. Workers are simply expendable to most of these people. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

This idea that working-class people will suddenly want to just sit on their butts all day and rake in unemployment is absurd. People want to have meaningful work, that pays a living wage and gives them the option for benefits. We are in a pandemic right now, helloooo...It says more about how we value workers in this country that many working-class jobs do NOT provide benefits or a living wage that should be alarming. It is shocking to me that mostly conservative lawmakers take issue with the fact that people would rather stay safe and have added financial security than put themselves in harm's way just for the sake of the economy. And to think that we would cut off the little safety net that they've provided just to force people into that situation instead of doing something that keeps people safe and will ultimately prove beneficial for the economy blows my mind. Workers are simply expendable to most of these people. 

Wish I knew how to attach gifs properly because this deserves an applause as well.

Edited by Xenos

Missouri's Governor talking about re-opening schools:

Again there's data out there, there's scientific evidence now of who this affects and who it doesn't, and kids are the least likely to have a problem with this. The complex you're talking about I actually toured and what a fantastic opportunity to have for youth. But look, these kids gotta get back to school, they're at the lowest risk possible and if they do get Covid-19, which they will, and they will when they go to school, they're not going to the hospitals, they're not going to have to set in doctors offices, they're going to go home, and they're gonna get over it and most of it all proves out to be that way if you look at the science of it. And we gotta get real with that and realize that you know we gotta move forward. The risk of not getting youth involved in activities, the risk of not putting them back in school, I guarantee you will create more problems than the virus will ever think about creating, long term for our state. So we gotta figure this out and we gotta get a balance but we gotta get life back to normal as we can get it there.

It's like people in charge don't understand how spreading works. I guess if... I mean WHEN, per Parsons, a kid gets Covid-19 they won't spread it to anyone else. The virus just gives up and calls it quits because it can't possibly hurt kids. Someone tell the parents, relatives, teachers, janitors, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc that there's nothing to see here.

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES with this type of study I think we have to assume kids are just as good at spreading this as adults. Opening schools safely seems impossible.

We needed a study to understand that age isn't a factor in ability to spread germs? 

Maybe I have a very elementary understanding of disease, but this is not something I would have thought mattered.

(Assuming other factors like number of other human interactions is equal).

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We needed a study to understand that age isn't a factor in ability to spread germs? 

Maybe I have a very elementary understanding of disease, but this is not something I would have thought mattered.

(Assuming other factors like number of other human interactions is equal).

Since we weren't seeing as many infections in young children, and reports of kids with positive tests that didn't spread the virus to anyone despite lots of interactions, it was something we weren't sure on. I think that type of study ends the debate.

• Like 2

Hoping that getting a reinfection is more of an outlier than anything else. Similar to how someone still has Covid for months.

https://news.yahoo.com/infected-covid-19-twice-experts-090014026.html

Physicians don't know for sure whether people who appear ill a second time are suffering from a resurgence of their first infection, Griffin said. But he tells the story of a man he treated for COVID-19 as an outpatient in March. Four months later, he was sick again, this time hospitalized with fevers and chills. He tested positive, the high level of antibodies he had displayed after his illness barely detectable.

Griffin noted that work on other coronaviruses demonstrated people were just as likely to be reinfected a year later as people who were never infected. Studies show COVID-19 antibodies declining in all patients after two months and becoming negative in a high percentage of patients, he said.

"It's concerning for those of us who hope this virus is just a one-and-done for our patients," Griffin said.

Dr. Monica Gandhi, professor of medicine and infectious disease expert at the University of California, San Francisco, isn't so sure.

“We have not seen a single convincing case of reinfection," she said. "That’s the proof in the pudding that being infected confers immunity."

In London, King’s College researchers have found that antibodies peaked up to three weeks after onset of symptoms before declining. The study of 90 patients and health care workers was published in in a preprint paper in medRxiv and has not yet been the subject of scrupulous peer review.

But the research supports the possibility that COVID-19 could reinfect people repeatedly. Blood tests revealed that while 60% of people presented a “potent” antibody response while battling the virus, only 17% retained that potency three months later. 

All of which could prove the death knell for the hope of herd immunity through a one-shot vaccine or community spread of the virus.

Omenka said it remains unclear whether the reinfections represent a common public health phenomenon or they are "outliers" – possibly even victims of inaccurate testing, he said. 

Testing accuracy remains a problem. A group of federal lawmakers sent a letter this week to Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn raising concerns about lowered standards for COVID-19 test reliability under an Emergency Use Authorization. 

“While no diagnostic test will ever be 100% accurate, these lower standards for determining reliability ... could affect our understanding of COVID-19’s spread within a community and across the United States,” the lawmakers said.

The number of known reinfection cases is too low to constitute significant data when compared with the millions of people who have tested positive for COVID-19, Omenka said.

"Either way, these new findings need to be taken seriously due to their public health implications," he said.

6 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

That’s shocking?

11 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

So this would essentially debunk any herd immunity theory.

With a vaccine or without? It’s too early to tell right now because there are not more people having this issue. So hopefully it is just an outlier. But it’s something to keep an eye on.