Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Actual Facebook status I saw today after DeWine mask mandate in OH:

Help! We are living in a corrupt dictatorship!!!!

-Berlin citizen, circa 1937

*Checks notes*

No, wait, that’s an OH citizen, July 22, 2020

Edited by MWil23

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Checks notes*

Just the first part, or the whole thing?

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Checks notes*

I had my uncle's brother in law die from COVID-19 in Ohio last week bc they didn't take it seriously and almost no one where they lived wore masks. Health & Safety is always more important than freedom bc if you're in a hospital sick or worse if you're dead then what good is freedom?

Comparing Governor's mandates to keep their citizens as safe as possible during a worldwide pandemic to being under a dictatorship is a horrible comparison. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This part:

(I added the rest)

So many things i would like to say.  But we're going to steer clear of politics here.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

So many things i would like to say.  But we're going to steer clear of politics here.

I’m sure I sarcastically added them yesterday on my monologue in the car when my wife read it to me. :)

16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

San Diego County has a big hiring effort going on right now
Contact Tracers are being offered $ 19/ hr for the junior positions and $ 25/ hr for senior positions
up to 40 hrs per week from home after initial training is completed

I might have to look into this if my temporary layoff becomes permanent. Better to get the resume ready and apply for jobs regardless.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

Sweden's deaths are falling rather quickly. I'm glad to see that. I wonder if it's due to herd immunity or if the virus is mutating to a weaker strain? May be a bit of both.  

That being said, America was in no position to try that strategy. You're seeing what's happening down south even with months of knowledge of what this virus is capable of. Imagine if we tried that strategy when the virus first hit back in March? Americans do not trust science or our gov't enough to listen. That's not even taking into account that we have way more dense cities, an unhealthier population, and way less people in singe households compared to Sweden. 

I'm not sure you can even say it worked for Sweden as their death rate is so high. Treatment will continue to improve, and we may have a widely available vaccine in the next 6 months.

Edited by WizeGuy

42 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Sweden's deaths are falling rather quickly. I'm glad to see that. I wonder if it's due to herd immunity or if the virus is mutating to a weaker strain? May be a bit of both.  

That being said, America was in no position to try that strategy. You're seeing what's happening down south even with months of knowledge of what this virus is capable of. Imagine if we tried that strategy when the virus first hit back in March? Americans do not trust science or our gov't enough to listen. That's not even taking into account that we have way more dense cities, an unhealthier population, and way less people in singe households compared to Sweden. 

I'm not sure you can even say it worked for Sweden as their death rate is so high. Treatment will continue to improve, and we may have a widely available vaccine in the next 6 months.

I read this earlier:

https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/we-are-mutating-sars-cov-2-but-it-is-evolving-back/

".....In particular they found that mutation very commonly generated UU neighbouring pairs, mutating from the original sequence of CU and UC....."

Maybe sciencey people can chime in but doesn't a higher UU pair mean it's harder for the virus to survive? Just curious if this might have something to do w/ it.