Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You've just nailed my George Floyd point exactly, it wasnt cause of death but it is one of the 180,000 reported "covid" deaths in the state of Minnesota.  Again verifiable fact.

ok, I’ll bite.  Show me where it was reported as a “covid death”.  Autopsy, etc.. some sort of “verifiable fact” (reputable source of course).

It's not about private companies trying to defraud the govt, or anybody, it's about governments reporting anybody who dies with the virus as a covid death. 

I don’t think you understand how this works.  The COD is reported to the government, not the other way around.

What you’re hinting at is a (relatively) old rumor that has no actual factual basis.  If you think you have some, I’d love to see it.

40% of all people who test positive are totally asymptomatic, 85% are asymptomatic or experience extremely mild symptoms. 

I mean, I’m an RN, I’m aware.

We have gone from the flatten the curve, to nothing else matters but covid-19 in a span of months.  We flattened the curve in basically 2 months.  The hospitals never got overwhelmed which was the fear.  When does the health and wellbeing of the country become the priority? 

No offense, but don’t ask me to worry about the “health and well-being of the county” when people on your side of this discussion can’t stop pissing in the community pool by not wearing mask and engaging in activities that put others at risk, including their own damned friends, families and neighbors. When everyone can manage to worry about actual health, I’ll worry about fiscal health.

When does it happen?  Good question.

When chuds can accept that wearing a piece of fabric over their pie hole isn’t some form of “gubment control”.  

When goobers who barely graduated high school stop thinking that their opinion is as valid as epidemiologists and virologists who’ve studied this stuff their entire adult lives because of a meme they saw on Facebook or some slanted media outlet.

Bottom line, when people stfu, put on a mask, stop acting like selfish children and accept the new normal.  If mouth breathers could have just embraced distancing and masks we’d be light years ahead of where we are now, but no, we’ve got a bunch of tin foil hat wearing Cletuses delaying it for everyone.

So I guess perhaps we should be asking you, when does this stuff become a priority?

But again you go on believing what you want to believe.

I will, and you keep believing Facebook fake news that’s typically aimed at boomers who don’t vet sources.

• Like 8

40% of all people who test positive are totally asymptomatic, 85% are asymptomatic or experience extremely mild symptoms. 

@LETSGOBROWNIES, is this true though?  In your experience, is it really like that?  Around 40% asymptomatic, 85% really mild symptoms? 

Edited by Outpost31

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES, is this true though?  In your experience, is it really like that?  Around 40% asymptomatic, 85% really mild symptoms? 

Eh, no way to really know tbh.  Most asymptomatic people aren’t getting tested, same with many mild cases.  So it’s hard to say how many cases we really have to begin with, especially with how we’re testing.

Specific numbers aside, he’s more or less right about how often people have severe cases.

Of course if 5-10% of people get a severe case, that’s a whole lot of people in a country with 340 million people.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

^My grandpa is 89 years old in a nursing home and just tested positive.  He's asymptomatic so far, so I'm not sure if it's a false positive or what. 

Could be a false positive, could just be a mild case.  People in his demographic often have a rough go of things, but let’s hope he does well.

for reference 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

My outbreak cluster (my household and the household of my step brothers in laws) consisted of about a dozen people, the youngest was 7 and the oldest 79. I'm not sure how many were symptomatic in the other household (I do know it was at least 4) but out of the 6 people in my household 4 were symptomatic (the two asymptomatic cases being the 7 year old and the 79 year old), no one in either household required medical intervention, and everyone recovered completely within 30 days with no apparent lasting effects. 

I can't speak to every case worldwide but from what I've personally seen, I'd say the numbers that the vast majority of cases are mild or asymptomatic are pretty accurate.

• Like 1

I got tested when i was in for a tetanus shot because i'm a ******* idiot and stuff, and the covid testing took like...hours and hours and hours.  It was kinda annoying.  But i guess it was nice to know i didn't have it at the time, despite the fact i explained that there's almost no possible way i would've had it at the time.  

I still keep myself safe whenever i go out.  And so does John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.

On 7/21/2020 at 8:50 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's just weird that they're gone so quickly. The half life of an antibody in a human is 21-28 days or so, which means 3 months is about 4 half lives. By the math, you'd still expect about 5% of the antibodies to be hanging around just from the initial spike.

It turns out that the machine used for testing was wrong. I was tested again on Tuesday and back donating plasma again today. It has been 4 1/2 months since I recovered and still the antibody levels are high.

What they did tell me is that women's antibodies drop incredibly quickly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mega Ron said:

It turns out that the machine used for testing was wrong. I was tested again on Tuesday and back donating plasma again today. It has been 4 1/2 months since I recovered and still the antibody levels are high.

What they did tell me is that women's antibodies drop incredibly quickly. 

I wasn't in this thread when you had it. Sorry to rehash it but were your symptoms mild or was it bad?

11 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You totally misunderstood me, bc I'm not complaining about it not happening.  My issue is with those who think everything should remain shut down until there is a viable vaccine.  That someone suggested that kids are dying bc they are going back to school when the opposite is true.  Someone used the whole, 1 death is too high of price line, which is total bs.  It's time to resume life, we have to do it safely, be smart about it, wear masks when social distancing isnt possible, wash hands regularly, take extra precautions for those at high risk, but people need to realize that waaaaay more people are going to die if we fall into another great depression.

The logical pathway is for people to just be smart until a vaccine as found. We can open up, but the businesses need to take safety precautions and everyone needs to wear a mask (as you said) and the ones that can't need to remained closed until a vaccine is found (late 2020/early 2021 isn't asking much). You're not wrong in that aspect, but it's naive to think that everyone is operating that way. 

This isn't a hoax, the numbers aren't fake news, and we need to take this seriously. There's a middle ground between "shut everything down completely/live in a bubble" and "live your life as normal/masks are the devil", but we don't live in a middle ground type of world. People need to get over themselves and start compromising or it's just going to get worse and worse. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You've just nailed my George Floyd point exactly, it wasnt cause of death but it is one of the 180,000 reported "covid" deaths in the state of Minnesota.  Again verifiable fact.

Please verify.

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Nationwide, child abuse reports/cases are down 40% during COVID. That's not because it's gone down...that's because teachers/coaches are mandatory reporters and do arguably a better job at reporting abuse/neglect than anyone else. Not all data is that simple, but those who want to argue that going BACK to school is somehow "safer" for kids is just...I mean...I don't even know how to respond to that. Let's assume a 0.5% death rate with a 10% exposure where I teach, in a district where we have 6,800 kids K-12 (2,000 going virtual). That means you will have a handful of kids DIE this year (3.9 to be precise) just on the national average, which I intentionally made to be conservative.

In what world do we go into a school year saying "Well, 4 kids and a staff member are going to die and it's due to inadequate facilities and precautions, but that's actually great!"?

Not just that, but school cafeterias in my area stayed open to provide meals for students in need.  They actually did three meals a day, picked up during a three hour period.  For some students, school lunch is sometimes the only good meal they get for themselves in a day.  

Both of those, combined with students being left behind because they don't have access to decent internet for distance learning, or needing in-person instruction to get the material better, makes going back to school an extremely tough decision.  It's beyond sad that there is no national plan or guidance from this.  

• Like 2