Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They used patients who are on dialysis to estimate this 9% number. But that isn't going to be a good representation of the total US population, because people getting dialysis a few times a week aren't going to be able to quarantine themselves as well as the rest of the population.

I was wondering about the dialysis part.  They seemed pretty confident that it represented the whole US

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They used patients who are on dialysis to estimate this 9% number. But that isn't going to be a good representation of the total US population, because people getting dialysis a few times a week aren't going to be able to quarantine themselves as well as the rest of the population.

Probably safer than going to the grocery store

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I was wondering about the dialysis part.  They seemed pretty confident that it represented the whole US

I'd be surprised if people on dialysis weren't living more urban areas than the average person (which would make them more likely to get it) and they have to go to clinics multiple times a week. Many would have to go to hospitals. The exposure risk doesn't seem similar to me at all.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd be surprised if people on dialysis weren't more urban than the average person (which would make them more likely to get it) and they have to go to clinics multiple times a week. Many would have to go to hospitals. The exposure risk doesn't seem similar to me at all.

I would look into dialysis centers. They are everywhere and they are mostly fraudulent. While important to those who rely on it, they are a racket. So many of these clinics are funded by the government and MCO's based on how much supply them run through. Basically they arent paid by the patient, but by the kit used. Many of them will just toss unused kits and then bill for them as completed sessions. 

Despite this though, it wouldnt effect the efficacy of the study shared. 

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

On the other hand, people on dialysis are at a higher risk of complications so might be taking better precautions otherwise.

I.e. yeah they're going to the hospital for dialysis, but they still might be being more careful than the average American whose hitting up bars and parties and ****.

• Like 1

Just now, BullsandBroncos said:

If masks work for this virus, shouldn't they work for the flu? I don't want this to turn into a mask debate, just a serious question. I'm an engineer. Not a doctor.

sure, but if people are wearing masks at the same rate then as they are now and we are still seeing increases its likely that we see the trend spike at that time. 

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

sure, but if people are wearing masks at the same rate then as they are now and we are still seeing increases its likely that we see the trend spike at that time. 

Next will be cartridge masks and respirators because only they can filter something that is so many microns small. 

2 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Next will be cartridge masks and respirators because only they can filter something that is so many microns small. 

its not the masks, those are proven to be 80% effect by multiple studies. Its the lack of people wearing them. 

• Like 3

House tries to pass a more modest bill:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3564230001

The bill, an updated version of the legislation passed earlier by House Democratsprovides another round of $1,200 stimulus checks, reauthorizes the small business lending program, brings back the $600 federal boost to the unemployment benefit through January, and provides assistance for the airline industry.

The bill also includes: 

• $225 billion in education funding, with $182 billion for K-12 schools and about $39 billion for postsecondary education

• $120 billion in grants for restaurants

• $436 billion in assistance for state, local, and tribal governments

• $75 billion for COVID-19 testing, tracing, and isolation measures 

• $15 billion in funding for the United States Postal Service 

• Increased food assistance benefits

5 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

If masks work for this virus, shouldn't they work for the flu? I don't want this to turn into a mask debate, just a serious question. I'm an engineer. Not a doctor.

I'm not going to look up a source right now, but I believe so. In the southern hemisphere, they had record lows for the flu this winter (our summer). Granted, some of that was likely from staying home and social distancing.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, TENINCH said:

There were kids cheerleading 20 feet in front of her with no masks on. 

Okay, I coach Soccer. Officials and coaches have to wear masks. Players have to wear them when off the field but not on. Do all of the rules make sense? No. Just abide by the schools policies. We had to meet a bunch of outrageous demands because of our school board but it is what it is. That lady was being an idiot.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Okay, I coach Soccer. Officials and coaches have to wear masks. Players have to wear them when off the field but not on. Do all of the rules make sense? No. Just abide by the schools policies. We had to meet a bunch of outrageous demands because of our school board but it is what it is. That lady was being an idiot.

The rules are very dumb but I understand what you are saying. Lady was being a fool to the police officer.