Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I completely understood that.  But fatigue levels are higher, and it's not just stress from work going higher.  Which is why I was wondering if they follow people who are testing negative more closely for the same side effects.

Could it be the placebo effect of someone saying...."wearing a mask will cause you to have a lower oxygen level in your blood, feel more fatigued or have less mental acuity/problem solving capabilities"   and the cascade begins

https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/masks-oxygen-levels

https://www.lung.org/blog/covid-masks

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-mask-easy-masks-effect-oxygen.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Could it be the placebo effect of someone saying...."wearing a mask will cause you to have a lower oxygen level in your blood, feel more fatigued or have less mental acuity/problem solving capabilities"   and the cascade begins

https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/masks-oxygen-levels

https://www.lung.org/blog/covid-masks

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-mask-easy-masks-effect-oxygen.html

Interesting reads.  Ironically I had drops in O2 levels when I tested it throughout the day.  I didn't here of dropping O2 levels, just noticed how exhausted I was as the school day wore on, opposed to how I felt in years past.  Age is a factor, but prior to starting back to teach, I had spent four months landscaping (maskless in most cases while outside alone) and felt much more exhausted teaching than landscaping in 90 degree plus weather.

Thank you all for weighing in.  

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

Interesting reads.  Ironically I had drops in O2 levels when I tested it throughout the day.  I didn't here of dropping O2 levels, just noticed how exhausted I was as the school day wore on, opposed to how I felt in years past.  Age is a factor, but prior to starting back to teach, I had spent four months landscaping (maskless in most cases while outside alone) and felt much more exhausted teaching than landscaping in 90 degree plus weather.

You probably want to see a doctor, if you are actually seeing decreases in your O2 and its making you feel tired it isn't the mask and could be something serious. Could be as simple as you developed a slight allergy to something in your classroom you didnt have before or could something extreme (and a little alarmist to say) like early signs of thyroid cancer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

You probably want to see a doctor, if you are actually seeing decreases in your O2 and its making you feel tired it isn't the mask and could be something serious. Could be as simple as you developed a slight allergy to something in your classroom you didnt have before or could something extreme (and a little alarmist to say) like early signs of thyroid cancer. 

Yikes  Wellness is in two weeks anyway, so won't have to wait.  Thanks

Edited by INbengalfan

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Yikes  Wellness is in two weeks anyway, so won't have to wait.  Thanks

might wanna take your pulse oximeter with you to doc visit - and compare readouts between theirs and yours
Theirs is a pro unit that gets calibrated on a regular basis. Good luck

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

might wanna take your pulse oximeter with you to doc visit - and compare readouts between theirs and yours
Theirs is a pro unit that gets calibrated on a regular basis. Good luck

T^hanks.  Again, I wasn't worried about me, per se.  Several other teachers (and students) are feeling more fatigued as well.  I was really wondering if athletes not testing positive were still being monitored for COVID-esque symptoms, almost as a control group.

I'll definitely share with my doc tho, as maybe I'm asymptomatic.

8 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Several other teachers (and students) are feeling more fatigued as well.  I was really wondering if athletes not testing positive were still being monitored for COVID-esque symptoms, almost as a control group.

I'd guess the athletes are being monitored across the board, the NFL needs to keep that gravy train flowing and have consulted with the top MDs. NFLPA is on board too, so I'd think there will be some interesting research that comes out in the next year; so your comment about a control group is spot on

As far as the other teachers, students - I think everyone is off their game right now as our routines were completely disrupted. The stress/anxiety over a pandemic can have negative impacts on our well-being and we've all been on Defcon 99  for over 7 months now.
( and the media wants us at Defcon 99)

We humans just weren't built to be under this level of stress for such extended periods. The Fight/Flight biological response is supposed to be for a fleeting moment, not for months at a time. Fatigue would be one of the ways this manifests. Unfortunately,  COVID isn't the only stress-inducer in 2020 - it wouldn't take long to come up with a Top 10 list of serious things going on and its really stretching us to our limits.

For the teachers/students, we've added the daily IT stress too:  "Will it work, will zoom shut down, why can't I log in, why is my screen freezing up ? Everything is a daily struggle...and that leads to fatigue. Good luck to you and the rest of your crew.

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

T^hanks.  Again, I wasn't worried about me, per se.  Several other teachers (and students) are feeling more fatigued as well.  I was really wondering if athletes not testing positive were still being monitored for COVID-esque symptoms, almost as a control group.

I'll definitely share with my doc tho, as maybe I'm asymptomatic.

Can you not just go get tested? 

I live in LA so I think I take for granted how easy it is to get a test around here and difficult elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

Can you not just go get tested? 

I live in LA so I think I take for granted how easy it is to get a test around here and difficult elsewhere.

It's not as easy here, as a smaller city.  As a teacher, you would think the teachers had to pass one at the start of the year, but no.  

The hardest part for me to accept is that I landscaped 8+ hours a day this summer, and never felt anywhere near as fatigued as i do teaching.  Mental stress is a thing, but it shouldn't lead to the discrepant fat6igue levels now.  

5 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

It's not as easy here, as a smaller city.  As a teacher, you would think the teachers had to pass one at the start of the year, but no.  

The hardest part for me to accept is that I landscaped 8+ hours a day this summer, and never felt anywhere near as fatigued as i do teaching.  Mental stress is a thing, but it shouldn't lead to the discrepant fat6igue levels now.  

Physical stress.... workouts, landscaping vs

Mental stress....pandemic, teaching in a different setup knowing there are likely asymptomatic individuals around.

Both will lead to fatigue, the former you feel in your body, the latter you feel (potentially) everywhere

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I'd guess the athletes are being monitored across the board, the NFL needs to keep that gravy train flowing and have consulted with the top MDs. NFLPA is on board too, so I'd think there will be some interesting research that comes out in the next year; so your comment about a control group is spot on

As far as the other teachers, students - I think everyone is off their game right now as our routines were completely disrupted. The stress/anxiety over a pandemic can have negative impacts on our well-being and we've all been on Defcon 99  for over 7 months now.
( and the media wants us at Defcon 99)

We humans just weren't built to be under this level of stress for such extended periods. The Fight/Flight biological response is supposed to be for a fleeting moment, not for months at a time. Fatigue would be one of the ways this manifests. Unfortunately,  COVID isn't the only stress-inducer in 2020 - it wouldn't take long to come up with a Top 10 list of serious things going on and its really stretching us to our limits.

For the teachers/students, we've added the daily IT stress too:  "Will it work, will zoom shut down, why can't I log in, why is my screen freezing up ? Everything is a daily struggle...and that leads to fatigue. Good luck to you and the rest of your crew.

Some of us are complete sickos and thrive in this crap.  

On 9/30/2020 at 3:13 PM, INbengalfan said:

Ever suffer from anxiety/stress?  Years and years ago I got stuck in an elevator and it jacked me up something good.  For a long time after that I always had these feelings of "I can't breathe" and then because my body and brain were on different pages I found myself legit holding my breathe for relatively long periods of time and never realized I was doing it.  I was self inflicting some weird reaction / wooziness and often left me feeling very tired. I never actually had a monitor of my O2 levels but ultimately got back to regular. Like many have mentioned this is stressful times but I think with regards to masks its been proven with pretty much 100% certainty that it should not impact your O2 levels.  

Also maybe make sure there are Carbon Monoxide monitors set up, isn't fatigue and drop in O2 a potential sign of CO poisoning? 

2 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Ever suffer from anxiety/stress?  Years and years ago I got stuck in an elevator and it jacked me up something good.  For a long time after that I always had these feelings of "I can't breathe" and then because my body and brain were on different pages I found myself legit holding my breathe for relatively long periods of time and never realized I was doing it.  I was self inflicting some weird reaction / wooziness and often left me feeling very tired. I never actually had a monitor of my O2 levels but ultimately got back to regular. Like many have mentioned this is stressful times but I think with regards to masks its been proven with pretty much 100% certainty that it should not impact your O2 levels.  

Also maybe make sure there are Carbon Monoxide monitors set up, isn't fatigue and drop in O2 a potential sign of CO poisoning? 

I've rarely dealt with anxiety/stress where it greatly affected me negatively.  I always ran the stress off.  Literally.  Even at age 50, I was knocking miles off in the hi 6's to mid 7's pace.  And I was still doing it up till this.  Now running is a labor too.  

Hadn't considered CO.  The thing I have noticed over the years is when returning to school, the mold count is extremely hi because they don't run the air all summer, then turn it on when school starts.  Plus the system has no dehumidifier, just a "chiller".  But I don't have any acute allergy symptoms.  That was also common amongst other teachers in years past.  None of that is going on now either.  

Not sure if it was posted today, but Mississippi ended its mask mandate today based off declining positive tests.  They do have limits on indoor and outdoor gatherings if social distancing is not possible.  Also found it interesting that the executive order ending the mandate also has an end date itself.