Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I saw it floated that teachers and food service workers get included in the first wave with medical and first responders. I'm fascinated by that. I'll get the vaccine whenever they have me/allow me to, but I'm not going to be pushing my case either, for a few reasons.

1. I've already had Covid within the last month, so if I have to wait until February or early March to do so, then so be it

2. I'm not high risk. I'm in my early thirties, in good health, and don't have any preexisting conditions

3. I need to see pediatric data. My kids, ages 6, 4, and 2, essentially had low grade fevers with the sniffles and one of them vomited for about a 2 hour window, then was fine. It hit them for about 2 days, meaning longer naps and general fatigue/whininess. One of them has issues with the flu shot, and 2 of them fall on the "very small to small" end of the height/weight spectrum (my wife is 5'2).

Your kids are not going to be vaccinated with this vaccine. At least anytime soon. Currently it’s only for 16 and older.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/12/945288710/what-you-need-to-know-as-the-first-covid-19-vaccine-heads-your-way

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I was unaware of that - appreciate this information.

No problem. The link I provided should answer most of the questions about the vaccine at this time. There’s obviously still unknowns especially with infection rate.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:17 AM, acowboys62 said:

My wife, an infectious disease NP, wants no part of it early on...got an email yesterday letting them know they are discussing if it will be mandatory for the nurses this year (and not the doctors...).  First year they actually made the flu mandatory with no opt out ability unless there was a legit medical reason. 

Same. My fiancee is a RN and wants no part of the vaccine until it is proven there are no long term effects like an increased rate of infertility. Furthest thing from Anti-Vaxxers, we just want to have children soon and make sure there are no side effects in the long run. Even my brother who is a microbiologist who works in a virus lab said he's not gonna take it for a long while.

With that said, I realize it's 99% safe, just not in the risk category and do not want to take any chances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Your kids are not going to be vaccinated with this vaccine. At least anytime soon. Currently it’s only for 16 and older.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/12/945288710/what-you-need-to-know-as-the-first-covid-19-vaccine-heads-your-way

Also, the 16 year olds and older portion...it just dawned on me that almost all kids going to the school PreK-10th grade won't be eligible to receive this.

...that's concerning to me.

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Same. My fiancee is a RN and wants no part of the vaccine until it is proven there are no long term effects like an increased rate of infertility. Furthest thing from Anti-Vaxxers, we just want to have children soon and make sure there are no side effects in the long run. Even my brother who is a microbiologist who works in a virus lab said he's not gonna take it for a long while.

With that said, I realize it's 99% safe, just not in the risk category and do not want to take any chances.

Where are people getting the increased rate of infertility from?

Just now, MWil23 said:

Also, the 16 year olds and older portion...it just dawned on me that almost all kids going to the school PreK-10th grade won't be eligible to receive this.

...that's concerning to me.

That’s why I think any in person schools need to vaccinate their staff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Pfizer CEO just said on CNN that they will provide 100 million doses to Americans by the end of the first quarter 2021.

So, enough to vaccinate 50 million people? Have they said if they're going to compare 1 dose vs 2 dose in lower risk groups? Also, sounds like we should have 200 million doses from Moderna by June + whatever we get from J&J and Oxford is approved. Summer 2021 has the possibility og being lit!

13 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Where are people getting the increased rate of infertility from?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/12/10/covid-vaccine-debunking-claims-causes-infertility-sterilization/6497018002/

While this is "debunking" claims of infertility, the expert is simply only giving an opinion that it will not, not an actual fact. It's too early to tell if it will cause a spike in infertility percentages. Although he's probably 99% correct, there's no reason for her and I to rush to get it and take that 1% risk.

"It's very unlikely that the immune system will confuse these two because it’s a very small part of the molecule," Minkin said. "They don’t look similar enough that the body would create an antibody to attack it." 

That is an opinion. An expert opinion. But still an opinion nonetheless.

Plus, even without that, if you are not in the risk category, we still do not know if there are long-term effects of the vaccine are, if any.

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:
6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Pfizer CEO just said on CNN that they will provide 100 million doses to Americans by the end of the first quarter 2021.

So, enough to vaccinate 50 million people? Have they said if they're going to compare 1 dose vs 2 dose in lower risk groups? Also, sounds like we should have 200 million doses from Moderna by June + whatever we get from J&J and Oxford is approved. Summer 2021 has the possibility og being lit!

No, 2 dose regimens for 100 million Americans. They said they have the second dose in storage when the first is shipped.

• Like 1