Have you ever flirted with being a fan of another team?

TOUCAN

Honestly starting to feel like it might be time...depending on how disastrous this Jaguars season is, and how much they continue to just gradually move to London.

It's not easy to follow a small market team in Florida, from Canada.  Very much not convenient in any way.  They've been mostly bad, and delivered nothing but pain and disappointment.  They've been managed like a circus for ages now, become a laughingstock of the league in more ways than i can even count...and even the previously cool logo is goofy now.

I just haven't ever really been able to seriously bring myself to do it.  I just can't.  But if this team heads back down the same road it did last time this GM was in charge and continues to try to pad owner pockets over representing local fans...it might be just the push it takes to finally quit this awful team.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DannyB said:

This whole notion is foreign to me, to be honest. I can't choose who I root for, even if I want to try. If I had any agency over the decision, I would choose to not be a fan of any team, and just enjoy the sport. Over the years I've gotten slightly less die-hard about the Packers, but any time they start to go on a run it starts to suck me back in a little bit.

But yeah, i don't think fandom has ever been something that I've consciously chosen.

I 100% agree with everything you said. Fandom is definitely not a choice, it's a reflex.

If you're wondering what it's like,  in my opinion, the only way out is that the team has to do something so egregious, indefensible, and personally insulting that it comes to mind whenever they're brought up. A bad draft pick doesn't really count for something like this because as a fan you'll rationalize it and when you can't do that anymore you'll blame the guy who made the pick, not the team itself. So the on-field performance stuff doesn't tend to stick. But if for some reason the Packers came out and did something that was a betrayal to you the fan, that's where it could be different. For me, it bugged me long enough that one day I just woke up and realized I wasn't a fan anymore. And I briefly tried being a fan of other teams, but it never stuck. It all felt fake almost immediately, so I don't think you can ever really choose to jump in or out. 

But IMO you're right that teamless is the way to go. The only thing you're missing being teamless is the anxiety/relief cycle that fans go through when they see a star player shaken up and it turns out he's fine, or if they're slowly giving a game away or whatever. All of the entertainment value is still there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Last year I "celebrated" my 50th year as a fan of the Vikings.  It hasn't been a very fun ride.  My dad has been a fan of this team since their inception in 1961, and I can remember as a kid seeing him putting on a snowmobile suit and filling up a thermos of hot coffee to go out to games to watch the Purple People Eaters at Met Stadium back in the 70's.  In May he will turn 90 years of age and probably won't ever be able to see our team win a Super Bowl. 

We have had a lot of very good teams over the years but they have never won it all.  I hate to say it, but it has gotten very old.  Now we just extended a quarterback who likely doesn't have what it will take to win a Super Bowl, and a coach who, although very good, doesn't seem to know how to put together a team that doesn't get steamrolled by more physical teams in the playoffs.  Two years ago we had a perfect opportunity to be the first team in history to win a Super Bowl in their home stadium.  We were one of the better teams in the league that year, but we all know how that turned out.  It's like a broken record that just keeps playing on and on and on.

I have to admit that I've considered moving on.  Half a century of ineptitude should be MORE than enough time for them to get their act together just once.  A new team might be a nice breath of fresh air, even if the other team isn't very good to begin with.  We'll see.  It would be REALLY lousy to change teams after a 50-year investment of time and then watch the Vikings finally win it all after I had jumped ship.  I don't even know what to think anymore.  I'm really just weary of the whole thing.

Going off of my dad, it just makes it sweeter when it finally happens.

He’d been an Eagles fan since he was a kid in 1970. Building off of his dad who was a fan since the early 40s.

When they won a couple years ago, he broke down. Legitimately never seen him so happy, he was jumping around and crying for joy.

Hope you guys get it soon. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Going off of my dad, it just makes it sweeter when it finally happens.

He’d been an Eagles fan since he was a kid in 1970. Building off of his dad who was a fan since the early 40s.

When they won a couple years ago, he broke down. Legitimately never seen him so happy, he was jumping around and crying for joy.

Hope you guys get it soon. 

Thanks, buddy.  I just hope my dad gets to see one.  He's not getting any younger.  In fact, he's kind of slowing down, truth be told.  It's good to hear about you guys though.  There's no reason for a team like the Eagles to be winless.  You had a lot of good teams over the years, so I'm glad you finally got there.  Going since the '40s is a loooooonnnng wait.  That's true loyalty.

Nah.

I like many teams in general,  I'll watch any two teams play and always "root" for a team, but there's no way I could be a fan of another team in the same respect.

I've thought about it.  Cardinals are historically one of the worst teams to ever exist, had plenty of terrible seasons and the butt of the NFL for a long time.  For many years it was embarrassing being a fan.

Their ownership has been pretty near the bottom (although has been okay the last decade and half).  But I could never bring myself to , change teams.  I am too emotionally invested.  If I haven't left by now, I never will.   I got through some of the bad years and have had a couple years of success the past decade.  

I used to feel that winning 4-5 games was a success.  The Cardinals not being booted from the league each year was a success.  But now, after a SB run and a couple good years, now I feel bad if we don't do well anymore. I almost miss the innocence of not caring about doing well because that was normal.  It's more upsetting when we don't do well or have direction.  I'm hoping that changes.  That SB loss was devastating and I believed I will never see the Cards in (or win) a SB in my lifetime.  I hope I'm wrong.

Edit:  Added some more.

Edited by Zalixar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Thanks, buddy.  I just hope my dad gets to see one.  He's not getting any younger.  In fact, he's kind of slowing down, truth be told.  It's good to hear about you guys though.  There's no reason for a team like the Eagles to be winless.  You had a lot of good teams over the years, so I'm glad you finally got there.  Going since the '40s is a loooooonnnng wait.  That's true loyalty.

Feels like you guys are next. Whenever you look at wins the last two decades or historically, the Vikings and Eagles always stood out as the two who didn’t have a SB. 

Wish my Grandpa got to see us in the SB again, he passed during the endless NFC Championship loss seasons.