Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

Ruggs is a stud who was underutilized at Bama.  He will change the whole dynamic of this offense and I think a lot of you are underestimating his route running and physicality.

Mayock recognized this and that is why he took him at 12.  We all know Ruggs is fast but from what I can tell he has very good hands, is good at tracking deep balls, contested catches and is a solid route runner. 

I am trying to think of what his ultimate upside is and I feel like he can be a 90+ catch guy which I dont see many of you saying. 

Comparing him to Djax is lazy and I certainly hope that he provides more long term value than DJax considering we took him at 12 overall. We will line Ruggs up all over the field, he will see time in the slot and Gruden will make it a priority to get the ball in his hands.  

If we can see 70/1100/7 from Ruggs as a rookie I assure you everyone on here will be thrilled with the pick.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Ruggs is a stud who was underutilized at Bama.  He will change the whole dynamic of this offense and I think a lot of you are underestimating his route running and physicality.

Mayock recognized this and that is why he took him at 12.  We all know Ruggs is fast but from what I can tell he has very good hands, is good at tracking deep balls, contested catches and is a solid route runner. 

I am trying to think of what his ultimate upside is and I feel like he can be a 90+ catch guy which I dont see many of you saying. 

Comparing him to Djax is lazy and I certainly hope that he provides more long term value than DJax considering we took him at 12 overall. We will line Ruggs up all over the field, he will see time in the slot and Gruden will make it a priority to get the ball in his hands.  

If we can see 70/1100/7 from Ruggs as a rookie I assure you everyone on here will be thrilled with the pick.

Even if Ruggs doesn’t have the monster stats as a rookie, he will make a huge impact. His speed alone with stretch the field and allow guys like Walker, Jacobs, Renfrow to eat. I’m sure there will some adjustments facing Cb1 and getting schemes against on a weekly basis. He might be inconsistent his rookie year but his greatest impact is another legit weapon to our offense. Hollywood Brown made a huge impact for the ravens but didn’t have monster stats  with 46 catches 584 yards and 7 TDS as a rookie. Ruggs is better , and I expect better numbers.  He can change the landscape of the offense like Hollywood did for the Ravens. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Would expect the Raiders to not overwhelm Ruggs early on. A lot of slants, drags, screens and end around. Allow him to master those and as the season goes on expand his packages of plays. Use his strengths early on. 

And a couple deep outs 💣..... have to scare the safeties  from creeping into the box to stop Jacobs. 

realistic for ruggs is probably 60 rec for 970 6 tds. something in that area

I think Brian Edwards could see some good work too mixed in. we added a lot of weapons this draft with Bowden too. should be fun

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 7:27 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

Imagine Frankie likes a wr under 6ft 🤔

Can’t post links anymore?

anyways I was gonna share a article where mark compares Ruggs to cliff branch

Interesting comp 

12 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

And a couple deep outs 💣..... have to scare the safeties  from creeping into the box to stop Jacobs. 

I do not want it to happen but I see Jacobs getting hurt again and that starting the downfall again that gets Carr benched.  That way we can have another year of arguing whether or not Carr is the issue.  Sounds like fun.

On 7/21/2020 at 7:27 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

The way I see it, Waller is the volume target. Ruggs is the dangerous #2 option who can hopefully become a "1" in terms of value over time.

They will essentially prevent each other from being bracketed and Ruggs will bring a "horizontal" element to the offense which will strain linebackers and open up the box/run game.

He has very underrated hands and is developing nuance in his route running. Which Edgar Bennett should be able to help him with. I think he will be a big impact player.

On 7/21/2020 at 8:22 PM, agarcia34 said:

Would expect the Raiders to not overwhelm Ruggs early on. A lot of slants, drags, screens and end around. Allow him to master those and as the season goes on expand his packages of plays. Use his strengths early on. 

Deep crossers are his bread and butter. I want to see a ton of those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The way I see it, Waller is the volume target. Ruggs is the dangerous #2 option who can hopefully become a "1" in terms of value over time.

They will essentially prevent each other from being bracketed and Ruggs will bring a "horizontal" element to the offense which will strain linebackers and open up the box/run game.

He has very underrated hands and is developing nuance in his route running. Which Edgar Bennett should be able to help him with. I think he will be a big impact player.

This is how I see it too, I think the yardage predictions here are a little optimistic with him realistically going for around 700 yards and maybe 50 to 60 receptions with a fairly high yards per reception. Waller and Renfrow I think will be the trusted go to options for Carr and Ruggs will be used on bubble screens, slants, crossers and the occasional deep route as you say, trying to put strain on the linebackers and getting him the ball in space, year 2 could be the year he becomes a more rounded receiver in our offense (not to say his skill set isn't rounded, just that we will initially not put too much on him). Williams should be quite heavily featured and I would hope take a little pressure off too. Ruggs impact should be greater than the bare statistical numbers as someone above said regarding Hollywood Brown.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

First offensive play of the year we should drop back and try to hit Ruggs on a Sluggo. That’s how you make teams respect our new speed and WRs ability to go deep at any time.

Go full Al Davis mode 😀 

That is exactly what I'd do too, even if we overthrow it a little just so we can show the D the speed we bring and that (hopefully) Carr isn't afraid to use it.

8 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imagine Frankie likes a wr under 6ft 🤔

Can’t post links anymore?

anyways I was gonna share a article where mark compares Ruggs to cliff branch

Interesting comp 

I like WR's under 6'0 but I also know their role.  Ruggs will never be an elite X like Magatron or Julio.