1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

IIRC Brian Brohm was something like 22 of 29 his last preseason game and was cut the next day. Comparing stats is apples to apples ?? In 1947 Sid Luckman had worse stats in his first game than Love did. Who cares

Whatever happened to using your eyes and brain ??

Edited by cannondale

On 11/9/2021 at 7:33 PM, Smidgeon said:

So he was better than 7 out of 7?  I honestly don't know how many 1st round draft picks are starting right now.

I suppose I could look it up...

You may find this of interest

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/11/9/22773084/how-jordan-loves-stats-compare-to-other-first-round-picks-first-starts

16 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Very interesting take and worth discussing. One caveat is that you have to examine the team around the player and what the players' strengths/weaknesses were at the time. For example, Lamar Jackson didn't exactly light the world on fire as a passer entering the league and has spent his entire career having to prove that he's not a bigger Michael Vick; Andrew Luck had a horrible cast of skill players around him at the time sparing an older Reggie Wayne and a fresh TY Hilton.

There is literally zero useful information that can be gathered comparing 2 QB's first starts by looking at stats.

What algorithm are you using to compensate for:

Strength of opponent played, Loves extra time in the system, how easy one offense may be to pick up vs another, weapons afforded each QB, offensive line, strength of coaching, defensive support, etc etc etc

Edited by cannondale

Since time has passed....I'll go from memory and the old eyeball test.

Feet when scrambling?  Loved them.

Feet when in the pocket?  Meh.  Looked like nervous feet.  Didn't really step into throws, but there was pressure in his face.

Command of the huddle?  For the most part, I'd say, yes.  Few hiccups, but I don't think I can really knock him on this.

Ball leaving hand correctly.  Accuracy.  Meh.  Wasn't very accurate, could come down to his feet and rhythm.  But this was not a good thing for him.

Timing.  Big time fail here.  Balls were late.  While it is a fail, it was more or less expected.

Reading a defense.  Dovetails into timing.  This was not good either.  And?  Probably to be expected.

Reading a progression.  I'm not sure that he really did.  Eyes certainly were locked in on guys right away in many routes.

Any "wow" moments?  That Cobb throw and catch was a really good one.  

Conclusion.....MLF didn't do him a lot of favors with playcalls.  Spags did him no favors by blitzing early and often.  Our o-line didn't help much either, with the blitzing.  To me Love looked like any QB getting his first real playing time against first team NFL defenses.  He was lost.  He was behind.  He looked like a deer in headlights.   As was expected.  The only real bad thing here is that you kind of expect a first round QB to be a little more ready, despite lack of camp and all the other excuses out there.  It isn't like he was a mid round pick.

Recommendation for Love.  Grow some bigger stones.  You are the QB.  Command that side of the line.  Bark out orders.  I don't care if you throw a pick or a TD.  Show some swagger out there.  You looked timid.  You looked like a robot.  Forget all of that, be yourself and take command of every play.  Good or bad.  Sink or swim.  Own that play.  The rest will come.

He looked very promising in the 2nd half esp the 4Q.  Too many ppl are flat out ignoring this maybe bcuz they only watched the first half.  And for the zillionth time, what more do you expect from a QB's first start other than hoping to see improvement as the game goes on?  Oh wait... he did exactly that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He looked very promising in the 2nd half esp the 4Q.  Too many ppl are flat out ignoring this maybe bcuz they only watched the first half.  And for the zillionth time, what more do you expect from a QB's first start other than hoping to see improvement as the game goes on?  Oh wait... he did exactly that. 

It is not worth spending energy trying to understand the reasoning of any person whose takeaway from this game includes any long-term or medium-term negatives about Jordan Love.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

It is not worth spending energy trying to understand the reasoning of any person whose takeaway from this game includes any long-term or medium-term negatives about Jordan Love.

It's because they want 12 to stay forever and can't fathom moving on from him after this season. If we don't do just that, we lose any and all leverage with Rodgers and that'll walk us right to the exact same scenario the Patriots just went through with the better 12. I dunno about you but I'm not really letting him walk for a 3rd round comp pick.

If 12 is our starting QB in 2022, we ****ed up beyond belief. Whether that be letting him walk for nothing but the comp pick or extending him, giving him all the leverage, and pushing the massive cap issues down the road for someone else to clean up. It's a lose-lose.

Edited by beekay414

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's because they want 12 to stay forever and can't fathom moving on from him after this season.

Or because they're old enough to remember Rodgers being thrusted into the 2007 Cowboys game and lighting it up.

I'll definitely agree that he got better in the second half when he adjusted to what was being thrown at him - which is to his credit(!), but the accuracy issues and his poor pre-snap reads still remain. Again, I hated the pick from Day 1 because I felt we should've drafted someone in this last draft, which was a better QB class; but, if he can show that he's fixed those two significant issues I'll admit I was wrong *shrug*...at least he's not Brohm...

35 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's because they want 12 to stay forever and can't fathom moving on from him after this season. If we don't do just that, we lose any and all leverage with Rodgers and that'll walk us right to the exact same scenario the Patriots just went through with the better 12. I dunno about you but I'm not really letting him walk for a 3rd round comp pick.

If 12 is our starting QB in 2022, we ****ed up beyond belief. Whether that be letting him walk for nothing but the comp pick or extending him, giving him all the leverage, and pushing the massive cap issues down the road for someone else to clean up. It's a lose-lose.

Rodg will not play next year on his current deal.  He will be extended or he will be traded.  Simple as that.  Unless it is a team friendly extension I hope he is moved for just compensation.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Or because they're old enough to remember Rodgers being thrusted into the 2007 Cowboys game and lighting it up.

I'll definitely agree that he got better in the second half when he adjusted to what was being thrown at him - which is to his credit(!), but the accuracy issues and his poor pre-snap reads still remain. Again, I hated the pick from Day 1 because I felt we should've drafted someone in this last draft, which was a better QB class; but, if he can show that he's fixed those two significant issues I'll admit I was wrong *shrug*...at least he's not Brohm...

Considering where we picked, what QB would you have taken instead of Stokes this year? 

6 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Rodg will not play next year on his current deal.  He will be extended or he will be traded.  Simple as that.  Unless it is a team friendly extension I hope he is moved for just compensation.

It would be a team friendly extension if they can promise that he can partner up with Gutey and have a significant voice in the room in regards to personnel decisions. The two-fold question is whether or not the team will give that to him and if so will he hold up his end of the bargain.

5 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Considering where we picked, what QB would you have taken instead of Stokes this year? 

Knowing someone would've sat for at least a year, I would've went with Davis Mills believe it or not. He's got nothing around him in Houston and it shows, which obviously doesn't make the argument look strong from my standpoint - I get it. Again, Mills would've sat at least a year.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Now do year 2 Rodgers.

Year 2 Rodgers as in 2008 or 2009? Just so I know where you're going with this...

Just now, beekay414 said:

Year 2 Rodgers as in 2006.

On a team in rebuild mode. I'll give you RG with Newman compared to that of Jason Spitz(both rookies), but it's apples to oranges compared to where the current team stands. Also, Rodgers got hurt that season FWIW.