1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Love was certainly jittery in most of his throws during the first half+.  I expect that gets better with more experience.

However, that INT (14:30 ish in the video) doesn't look like Love's fault to me anymore.

1. Love throws the ball when Devante crosses the 20. 
  2. At the 15, the DB gets in Devante's way and slows him down just enough. Don't think it's DPI though because the DB basically just puts himself in Devante's way.  Risky in case it was a slant, I guess, because it appeared the DB based his defense on "catching" Devante mid-route.
  3. At the 10, the DB now has position on the ball. 
  4. If Devante doesn't get slowed down, it's a well thrown ball.

Watched Love's press conference after the game.  Loved how he personally took responsibility for the plays that went awry during the game.  Didn't shy away from almost any question.  Was direct and honest.  Gave credit to the other offensive players when commenting on a good play.

Good for him.  

• Like 2

The reality is this guy isnt even close to ready.  Unlike Hundley, I think Love can turn a corner, but that dude is two years away at least.  There's so much to polish up there.  He needs every second possible in that QB room before we even consider outright giving him the slot.  Some of those passes yesterday were straight up ducks with some crazy weeble wobble in them.  I couldnt do anything but laugh hysterically at that ball thrown to Cobb in the endzone.  Ive never seen a pro quarterback make such a goofy throw.  He could get there.  I believe he can, but I think D to D- is a very fair grade of that performance yesterday.  If you are EXCITED looking forward to that possibility in 2022, you clearly like to live dangerously.  This would be like hopping from a Ferrari to a Pinto.

10 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

The reality is this guy isnt even close to ready.  Unlike Hundley, I think Love can turn a corner, but that dude is two years away at least.  There's so much to polish up there.  He needs every second possible in that QB room before we even consider outright giving him the slot.  Some of those passes yesterday were straight up ducks with some crazy weeble wobble in them.  I couldnt do anything but laugh hysterically at that ball thrown to Cobb in the endzone.  Ive never seen a pro quarterback make such a goofy throw.  He could get there.  I believe he can, but I think D to D- is a very fair grade of that performance yesterday.  If you are EXCITED looking forward to that possibility in 2022, you clearly like to live dangerously.  This would be like hopping from a Ferrari to a Pinto.

Ever watched Carson Wentz play ball?

Edited by HighCalebR

3 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

Yeah there wasn’t a lot to like. He had a lot of wobbly balls, many turnover worthy plays. His biggest completion was a 50/50 ball to Cobb. His TD wasn’t even a good throw(off back foot duck against 7 coming). I thought he looked better in preseason 

Just rewatched the game, I counted 5 turnover worthy plays and a dozen inaccurate passes from Love. All-22 isn’t out yet, but that could be more telling.

Jordans best two passes were the first two passes of the fourth quarter. Both were beautiful mechanically, and on the money with good zip. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much else to like.

It’ll be interesting to see how he looks in his next chance. Obviously, it’s soon to give up on the guy, but it wasn’t what I’d call a promising showing.

This is what makes or breaks GM's.  If Thompson, who drafted Aaron Rodgers would have given up on him at the end of the second year, most fans would have said "great move" Rodgers stinks.  And...watch the tape back then, he looked just as bad as Love does now.  Plus, he had 2 years of McCarthy's offseason "Quarterback School" under his belt and teams were allowed to practice more during the season so if anything he should have been much farther along.  I think most of us would agree that Thompson not listening to the fans was a good decision for the Packers.  Now Gute is in the same position.  In my opinion, Gute is going to stick with Love even if it turns out to be the wrong decision.

I've been watch all 5 first round draft choices this year.  Each has tools you can hone and develop.  But each has had games in which their flaws really stand out and you wonder if they will make it.  The Patriots have done the best job with their quarterback, but you have a highly experienced coach who worked to develop Tom Brady originally.  So he knows something about how to protect a young quarterback and allow him to gain confidence over time.  

The first half of last weeks game was pretty putrid for Love.  He looked overwhelmed and the Chiefs brought the house on virtually every pass situation.  They wanted him uncomfortable and he looked it.  Did the play of the offensive line help him....Nope.  Did LeFleur's play calling help him...Nope.  But by the fourth quarter, the offensive line played better, LeFleur gave him better plays and Love began to execute the offense the way you wanted it. 

We have to remember LeFleur is new at this too.  He has had Rodgers to work with for the past 3 years.  I like that LeFleur is willing to admit his own mistakes, and make changes.  Love is not Rodgers and the offense may have to be slightly altered to take advantage of his strengths.  Love is going to look like an unfinished product for a couple more years.  Rodgers is here now so we should take advantage of that, but if he decides to leave at the end of this year, I'm comfortable giving Love the keys to the car.  Love has the tools, he has a great mindset, and he is going to win over the players.  I'd give him even more opportunities this year if the right situation arises.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Yeah there wasn’t a lot to like. He had a lot of wobbly balls, many turnover worthy plays. His biggest completion was a 50/50 ball to Cobb. His TD wasn’t even a good throw(off back foot duck against 7 coming). I thought he looked better in preseason 

Calling the Cobb pass a 50/50 ball is questionable at best. On the run, he placed that ball to the inside, away from the defender, 40 yards downfield.  

People ripping on that pass for being interceptable are being ridiculous. It may have been his best pass of the game. 

Edited by mikebpackfan

15 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Good breakdown, really shows the protection was terrible in key moments. Our line didnt know how to handle the blitz yesterday.

Really cool channel overall, I'll have to check this out later

10 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Calling the Cobb pass a 50/50 ball is questionable at best. On the run, he placed that ball to the inside, away from the defender, 40 yards downfield.  

People ripping on that pass for being interceptable are being ridiculous. It may have been his best pass of the game. 

Agree.  Watch the game without sound.  You'll get a cleaner perspective.  Take out Aikman's and Lil' Buck's inferences and you'll get a different feel.  On that pass to Cobb...Buck declares it 'up for grabs' immediately.

I didn't think Love played very well at all, but I think he's at a point where he just needs to play.  He's super inexperienced and needs all the reps and game action he can get.  I would be fine if the Packers handed this over to him in 2022.  I'm sure there would be some ups and downs, but I think he's talented enough to become a good starter in time.  I want the Packers to get serious compensation for Rodgers while they can, and that time will be this offseason.  

As for Aikman .. there wasn't a more terrible QB early on in his career than him.  His first two seasons were pretty horrendous, although the team around him was scary bad.

I know its hard to compare with a lot of different circumstances but I've heard plenty of times that Rodgers went 6-10 his first year and so on. I wanted to go back and see how Rodgers actually looked on his first start. He made some really nice throws. I only watched the first couple of minutes. I apologize if someone has already posted this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4DCrRC3Lyc