1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

21 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

They used to say it takes 10,000 of practice to be an expert. That number has been somewhat debunked, but no one argues that it takes a a lot of practice to be an expert. And the motivation to put in the time. Love isn't there yet, but hopefully he has the motivation. I haven't given up on him yet. Things seemed to start clicking in the 4th quarter for him. I'm more concerned about Crosby and the special teams!

Same. I have no clue what is going on there but it's literally going to lose them games. I'd argue that had they performed even league average yesterday they walk it with a win. 

• Like 1

Love played very much like a rookie, but one thing that I will point out- he had AWFUL field position throughout most of the game.  We were able to move it pretty decently between our goal line and the chiefs 40, but just couldn’t sustain it.

I’m of the opinion that the play calling didn’t do him any favors and the offensive line played poorly (especially the interior). Love missed some throws, especially early.  I don’t know why we didn’t have anything over the middle of the field- the chiefs were vacating the middle all night.  

I don’t think we should write him off, but he looks like a guy that’s at least another season away before being ready.  I really think having Boyle be the backup last year was a huge mistake.  Love needed those reps.

• Like 3

I thought that was an ok first start for Love. He looked like he belonged in the league. He needs more reps. That's ok. Rodgers is gone after the season, and after next year we will be able to make a good assessment on if Love can be a long term answer. 

Keeping Rodgers isn't going to happen. Even with a new deal if you push that much money on to future caps, you are going to have some dark times coming that would be very difficult to rebuild from.

I gave him a C for yesterday's performance.

Positives:

Got the ball out quickly on most plays.

Got more comfortable in the pocket as the game went on.

Didn't take any unnecessary sacks and scrambled to pick up what he could.

Negatives:

Accuracy wasnt great on key moments we needed him to be.

Presnap he seemed slow in and out of play calls which caused him to not be able to make protection changes at the line in time as the play clock went down (ill cut him some slack  here since this is the first time he's been in a regular season game)

He didn't read the defense well, so many times he tried to force it to Davante or Cobb when others were open.

All in all most of his negatives for me can be corrected as he develops. His performance could of definitely been a lot better if Lafleur helped him with protection and leaning heavier on the running game. But going off his own performance i don't think he was that bad. Could of been worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I thought that was an ok first start for Love. He looked like he belonged in the league. He needs more reps. That's ok. Rodgers is gone after the season, and after next year we will be able to make a good assessment on if Love can be a long term answer. 

Keeping Rodgers isn't going to happen. Even with a new deal if you push that much money on to future caps, you are going to have some dark times coming that would be very difficult to rebuild from.

If Rodgers wants to stay, you keep him. Simple as that. There is no such thing as getting rid of a QB playing at the level he currently is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Love played very much like a rookie, but one thing that I will point out- he had AWFUL field position throughout most of the game.  We were able to move it pretty decently between our goal line and the chiefs 40, but just couldn’t sustain it.

I’m of the opinion that the play calling didn’t do him any favors and the offensive line played poorly (especially the interior). Love missed some throws, especially early.  I don’t know why we didn’t have anything over the middle of the field- the chiefs were vacating the middle all night.  

I don’t think we should write him off, but he looks like a guy that’s at least another season away before being ready.  I really think having Boyle be the backup last year was a huge mistake.  Love needed those reps.

He was consistently put in bad positions this game by field position, play calling and special teams.

Reminded me of Brett Hundley's games in Green Bay.  Looked rushed at times, he's' going to have to handle the blitz because that's what's coming until he solves it.  Saw some flashes which is what you want.  Some of his throws were wobbly and inaccurate.  Only score came on last possession but thats not all on him.

It may be the last time you see him before you have to make a call on Rodgers.  

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Reminded me of Brett Hundley's games in Green Bay.  Looked rushed at times, he's' going to have to handle the blitz because that's what's coming until he solves it.  Saw some flashes which is what you want.  Some of his throws were wobbly and inaccurate.  Only score came on last possession but thats not all on him.

It may be the last time you see him before you have to make a call on Rodgers.  

Brett Hundley kept his eyes on the rush and not on receivers down field when pressured. Hundley could've never made the Dillon throw in the end zone or the Cobb one right before halftime. He would've been focused on the rush.

There are clearly accuracy issues with Love, but he has a calmness in the pocket that will make it worthwhile to keep developing him. Hundley and Brohm you could tell right away weren't NFL starters, they didn't want to be hit, avoiding that came before playing the position.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Brett Hundley kept his eyes on the rush and not on receivers down field when pressured. Hundley could've never made the Dillon throw in the end zone or the Cobb one right before halftime. He would've been focused on the rush.

There are clearly accuracy issues with Love, but he has a calmness in the pocket that will make it worthwhile to keep developing him. Hundley and Brohm you could tell right away weren't NFL starters, they didn't want to be hit, avoiding that came before playing the position.

Bingo. That pocket presence was THEEEE number one thing I wanted to see from him. And I feel like he absolutely did well enough in that regard all things considered.

It surprised me when earlier in the week they asked Jordan Love, "So how many reps has he been given with the #1 offensive during the season so far".  His response...."None"....I do the Scout Team and rep the plays the opponent will run.  If that's true and I suspect it is, how is he supposed to have any rapport with the #1 receiver group.  What Rodgers does with Adams is based on years of practice and thousands of reps.  It builds confidence, trust, and they just know without talking to each other what needs to happen on each play to make it work.  You did not see that yesterday...the communication and connection was not there.

I would tell LeFleur to give Love about 20-25% of the reps with the #1 offense for the rest of this year during practice.  He needs it.  Plus if the opponent is going to rush 6-7 people, give him the tools to handle it or a better play call.  The rush was so heavy in the first quarter that I believe it caused Love to rush things.  Luckily he only threw one pick and really only took one or two sacks.  Thats really not bad considering the pressure he was under up the middle and the poor field position he had to play with.  I did see LeFleur make some adjustments midway through the 3rd quarter (putting Love under center more) and the offense started to click better and you could see Love just "grip it and rip it" more.  Trusted his read and fired it.  His footwork was better because of it and the ball came out cleaner off his hand because of it.  And he demonstrated he could throw it from different arm angles.  He also stepped up in the pocket nicely instead of bailing out like so many young quarterbacks do.  

For some comparison, I pulled out my old video tapes of Green Bay's preseason games in year 2 of Rodgers time here.  Boy, did he look like a "deer in the headlights" out there.  Same level of confusion, slow processing, poor footwork, still had the ball up around his earhole, ball would be thrown into the ground repeatedly.  You could see the change in year 3.  Everything slowed down for him.  But back then McCarthy could do his "quarterbacks camps" in the offseason and it paid huge dividends with Rodgers.  We need that again.  So this could take longer....like year 4.  So for those that want to give up on Love after one game....patience.

Edited by minnypackerfan

1 minute ago, minnypackerfan said:

It surprised me when earlier in the week they asked Jordan Love, "So how many reps has he been given with the #1 offensive during the season so far".  His response...."None"....I do the Scout Team and rep the plays the opponent will run.  If that's true and I suspect it is, how is he supposed to have any rapport with the #1 receiver group. 

This ^^ - a consideration for those who were calling for Bortles to get thrown in there - after he's not taken snaps *with anybody* for a few years.

3 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I would tell LeFleur to give Love about 20-25% of the reps with the #1 offense for the rest of this year during practice. 

Cant do that - unless the fix is in regards AR not being welcomed back.