1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

16 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Didn't Love get all of the reps with the ones in the pre-season?

Love is not ready for Prime Time yet. Love looked bad in the KC game but so did LaFleur and the OL. Love looks like a possible bust but it is still too early to tell. If Rodgers does get traded then at least the Packers know they can't assume Love is the right guy. An eye opener that was needed. 

I wanted to take a couple days before commenting on this re-bumped thread.

Coming out of college, my biggest knock on Love was his accuracy, which was on full display the other night. I can buy the excuses about not getting enough time to prep with his receivers, but wait - he had all Summer to do that while Aaron Rodgers threw a temper tantrum. I can buy the excuse about sitting a long time before getting a chance to play in a hostile environment, but wait - Aaron Rodgers sat the pine longer and showed us plenty against Dallas in 2007 when the refs decided the game down the stretch by calling a PI on Jarrett Bush who was 3 yards behind his receiver and the receiver fell on his own power. 

It's one game, but we know what we have and as I've said the entire time: Jordan Love will have been worth the pick(maybe) if he can be a game manager who can give you a couple of "wow" plays here and there - such as the Randall Cobb reception and a couple of scampers in the second half(once he "settled down"). The next decision that MLF and Co. need to is if they feel a game manager QB is a viable long-term solution post-Rodgers. In other words, do we want our offense to be predicated on the run using big and physical receivers in the passing game while sprinkling in jet sweeps/bubble screens/jailbreak screens using Amari Rodgers and other similar athletes to keep defenses honest while threatening the seam with an MVS or another WR to be drafted later. 

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I wanted to take a couple days before commenting on this re-bumped thread.

Coming out of college, my biggest knock on Love was his accuracy, which was on full display the other night. I can buy the excuses about not getting enough time to prep with his receivers, but wait - he had all Summer to do that while Aaron Rodgers threw a temper tantrum. I can buy the excuse about sitting a long time before getting a chance to play in a hostile environment, but wait - Aaron Rodgers sat the pine longer and showed us plenty against Dallas in 2007 when the refs decided the game down the stretch by calling a PI on Jarrett Bush who was 3 yards behind his receiver and the receiver fell on his own power. 

It's one game, but we know what we have and as I've said the entire time: Jordan Love will have been worth the pick(maybe) if he can be a game manager who can give you a couple of "wow" plays here and there - such as the Randall Cobb reception and a couple of scampers in the second half(once he "settled down"). The next decision that MLF and Co. need to is if they feel a game manager QB is a viable long-term solution post-Rodgers. In other words, do we want our offense to be predicated on the run using big and physical receivers in the passing game while sprinkling in jet sweeps/bubble screens/jailbreak screens using Amari Rodgers and other similar athletes to keep defenses honest while threatening the seam with an MVS or another WR to be drafted later. 

Love absolutely has the arm talent to make the occasional "wow" play. The question is whether he has the mental tools to have the game slow down for him and be able to master the LOS and be in sync with his skill-position teammates when reading the defense pre-snap for MLFs multiple offense.

He also has plenty of leg skills to get himself into position to make broken-play throws. Just needs to keep working on the accuracy while on the move.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Love absolutely has the arm talent to make the occasional "wow" play. The question is whether he has the mental tools to have the game slow down for him and be able to master the LOS and be in sync with his skill-position teammates when reading the defense pre-snap for MLFs multiple offense.

He also has plenty of leg skills to get himself into position to make broken-play throws. Just needs to keep working on the accuracy while on the move.

I think he has the mental tools, but he's gotta be more consistent if he can be. While we can hope his accuracy improves I don't think it will improve much. I don't question his athleticism or arm-strength within the least and in fact, I thought he should've tucked it and ran more often on the college tape I saw. LIS before, he's gotta be a game-manager with plenty of tools around him(especially along the OL) in order to be successful. Currently, I feel he has those tools but in order to be successful with him we're going to have to continuously stock the shelves. I'm confident our OL is going to improve so that's a huge step, but concerns at TE and WR may make the process a bit tricky - especially given that draft capital may be needed to fix depth issues at EDGE and IDL.

We're all sitting here dissecting Jordon Love's performance on Sunday.  But the QB performance I'd be most worried about from that game didn't start for the Packers.

Love 19/34 for 56% and 190 yards.

Mahomes 20/37 for 54% and 166 yards.  One more completion on three more attempts for 24 fewer yards. 

The difference in rating is 1 INT for Love (which I don't think was his fault--see earlier post)

And while the KC D is terrible this year (and thus the comparison breaks apart), Spags called a great game against a first start QB, and the O-line didn't  help.  So I'd call the defenses a wash under the circumstances.

Edited by Smidgeon

The s arrest thing we do right now is extend Rodgers, and resign love to a second contract at backup money.  Dudes not gonna be ready by his first contract to start.  He is super super raw.  The accuracy, the processing of the game, the decision making is still Utah State slow.  First Covid year was super crappy for his potential development , but I can absolutely see why Love was legit our number three last season.  He was THAT raw and far behind.  Boyle was number two fair and square at that juncture.  

the game was good for him, he needed that and so did we, it makes the decision to extend. Rodgers abundantly clear.  I still develop love because I see the upside, and while there’s tons of it, we still need to shape and carve it.  This is best for Love, because if we don’t we risk giving him the Justin Fields treatment of breaking him early 

I look at a QB like Fields and see a pretty clear improvement in how he's playing now vs how he looked early in the season.  That comes from reps.  We're not going to know much about whether Love can be a legit QB1 until he is given a legit chance to do it.  We may know more about Love today than we did last week, but that's a very low bar.