1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

52 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

Given our current situation how do you guys today feel about the selection of Love?

Do you think it could have been used elsewhere or the threat of job security enough to make Rodgers play at an MVP level enough to justify the pick and still possibly have our next QB worth it?

At the time I understood the why but I wouldn't have gone that route. 

Putting aside everything we know now.

It was still a wise move.  We had an aging QB and the opportunity for a QB of the future.  ...with not a whole lot left on the board.

Can't predict what Rodgers would have done without his selection.  Can't predict covid and how that affected Love's growth.

In the moment, it was still the right move, regardless of how it looks now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GHARMON9 said:

Given our current situation how do you guys today feel about the selection of Love?

Do you think it could have been used elsewhere or the threat of job security enough to make Rodgers play at an MVP level enough to justify the pick and still possibly have our next QB worth it?

At the time I understood the why but I wouldn't have gone that route. 

Even if Love turns out, I'll still feel like it was 2 years too early to take him. I felt that on the day we took him and nothing has changed my mind, even a QB who is waffling, and who I have a love/hate relationship with. That said, it's not a fireable offense, even if he busts, no matter what the talking heads say. Ted Thompson himself did a lot worse with our first round picks, more than a time or two, than taking a QB that busted. I also don't think anyone we would have taken instead was the difference between last year's super bowl or losing in the NFCCG. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, you realize that extending Rodgers and Adams to deals that are team-friendly cap-wise for the next 2 years basically solves the "cap situation" everyone is clamoring about. It's literally not a big deal...at all.

The cap is going to sky rocket in 2 years absent a breakout of COVID-20. 

Do you really think either are signing any "team friendly deals"?

The only thing"team friendly" about Rodgers current deal is that it was frontloaded so much the Packers had an early out.

I love Adams but he is not going to be worth whatever new deal he signs.

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

First thing I've seen on this thread in a while that makes sense. This is the only right answer. 

It's not...at all.

Quit kicking the can down the road. Reset with 10. I don't care about what our 2022-23 record is, I care about 2024 and beyond. 

• Like 2

Drafting Love was 100% the right move. Do you guys not recall the play from 12 the two seasons prior to the Love selection? Dude looked straight up checked out. We don't get 48/4 2020 Rodgers without the Love pick. Hell, Aaron entered this off-season "unhappy" and just look at him right now. He's not playing within the offense like he was in 2020 at all. 

The 100% right answer is to move on before we lose any and all leverage. Get the assets and reset for 2023-24 and beyond. Who cares about 2022-23. Treat it like 2008-09 and go from there. Do NOT neuter your franchise and give the diva what he wants. It'll only end poorly.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

It's not...at all.

Quit kicking the can down the road. Reset with 10. I don't care about what our 2022-23 record is, I care about 2024 and beyond. 

Agreed.  Use the money Rodgers and Adams would've required to extend Jaire, etc and maybe sign some promising FAs on both sides.  Bank whatever is left for Jenkins, Gary and Savage the following year. Draft complementary pieces to add to the roster.  And if we have a rough 2022, we can land another upper echelon player in the 2023 draft.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

Agreed.  Use the money Rodgers and Adams would've required to extend Jaire, etc and maybe sign some promising FAs on both sides.  Bank whatever is left for Jenkins, Gary and Savage the following year. Draft complementary pieces to add to the roster.  And if we have a rough 2022, we can land another upper echelon player in the 2023 draft.

pop tv yes GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Like 1

dumping a HOF QB so you can play a qb that hasnt shown much doesnt seem very wise.

Love shows some pocket presence, but not much in the way of arm talent thus far.  Why move on from a sure thing for a lottery ticket?

I know you have been very supportive of Love all along, but if honest you have to admit we haven't seen him show much arm strength or accuracy.

2 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

we haven't seen him show much arm strength

WTF is this nonsense. Love throws 3 or 4 picks without proper arm strength vs the Chiefs. Do you clowns not remember Tyrann Mathieu jumping the route and the pass was STILL completed to Davante? How, in what world, does someone have his route jumped and complete the pass with a lack of arm strength?

It was his first ******* start on a short week with no rhythm with his #1 WR. What the **** were you turds expecting? Because, and I'll tell you this, it wasn't within the realm of realism. That's 100% for sure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hitnhope said:

dumping a HOF QB so you can play a qb that hasnt shown much doesnt seem very wise.

Love shows some pocket presence, but not much in the way of arm talent thus far.  Why move on from a sure thing for a lottery ticket?

I know you have been very supportive of Love all along, but if honest you have to admit we haven't seen him show much arm strength or accuracy.

It's not just about Love v Rodgers. It's Love + cap space + draft picks v Rodgers. Love hopefully will progress, Rodgers will likely decline. It gives you the flexibility to load up the roster around the QB.

Also, we KNOW Love has arm talent, but showing pocket presence on the field was the most important thing we needed to see. It gives me hope that with reps he will get better.

Getting major assets for an aging, expensive HoF QB and moving on to a promising young QB is very wise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

It's not...at all.

You and I have been polar opposites on this since the draft pick was made. One of us will be really wrong or right in about 2 years lol. 

16 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Even if Love turns out, I'll still feel like it was 2 years too early to take him. I felt that on the day we took him and nothing has changed my mind, even a QB who is waffling, and who I have a love/hate relationship with. That said, it's not a fireable offense, even if he busts, no matter what the talking heads say. Ted Thompson himself did a lot worse with our first round picks, more than a time or two, than taking a QB that busted. I also don't think anyone we would have taken instead was the difference between last year's super bowl or losing in the NFCCG. 

I've read this argument before.  Well, it's two years later and the crop of QBs coming out is crap!

Seriously, if you wait until you need one it is too late.  If you're one of those who question Love's arm strength?  I can't help you, you are in denial.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

It's not just about Love v Rodgers. It's Love + cap space + draft picks v Rodgers. Love hopefully will progress, Rodgers will likely decline. It gives you the flexibility to load up the roster around the QB.

Also, we KNOW Love has arm talent, but showing pocket presence on the field was the most important thing we needed to see. It gives me hope that with reps he will get better.

Getting major assets for an aging, expensive HoF QB and moving on to a promising young QB is very wise.

Not saying I don't agree with your post.  I do see merit there.

There's also merit with this.  Barry's defense is thriving without superstars playing.

For all that Rodgers isn't this year, he still controls the game and the LOS by being our QB.  Love does not.

With this kind of defensive scheme and #12 under center, we win a lot more games in the next 2-3 years with #12 versus #10.

The unknown variable here is the "haul" we would get back from trading Rodgers.  I'm not sold that it is a "haul" anymore.  It'll be nice, but it won't be what it once was.

I'll be on board for any move.  

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

For all that Rodgers isn't this year, he still controls the game and the LOS by being our QB.  Love does not.

Not getting into the line of discourse - simply because I think it way too premature to determine the pros / cons of Love.

But - I will disagree with the above comment in so much as ANY QB - yes, even AR - would have had a hard time executing against that pass rush.

TPA does a good job of shutting down / limiting AR with LESS of a pass rush than KC assaulted Love with. KC was bringing it from all angles - yes, primarily because of Love's inexperience - which only proves my point: it's too early to put Love in a box.