1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, dwaye50327 said:

Its just frustrating to see teams like the Saints and 49ers getting better for next year, while the Packers are preparing for the future like they have been for the past 15-20 years, obviously that philosophy isn't working. It'll be another 10-11 wins for the packers with a playoff loss to another NFC west opponent most likely.

Notice the Saints didn't pick Love.  Their Coach has a better record of developing QB's and offense than MLF.   

Their QB is also older, and already has lined up his next job.   Loves talent wasn't enough to sidetrack their plan to trying to get a Lombardi.

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Assuming Rodgers is traded in 2022, his contract will have ended up being 4/125. Essentially 31 million per year. That is every bit in line with extensions that top 10 QBs are starting. 

So they signed Rodgers to a reasonable 4 year deal, and then found a guy who can sit for two years and then take over the reins. I get wanting to go-for-it with Rodgers still here, I do, but if you believe that you should never go all in and balance the short and the long term, this makes all the sense in the world. 

I feel like we have a GM with longterm vision rather than a guy who's playing whack-a-mole and trying to patch holes every year. 

He'll start in his 3rd year. He has two years to sit and learn.

And that assumes we have a season this year. If we don't have a season this year, he has one year to sit and learn in 2021.

+++

Also the contract that he's going to have for the team he is traded to will be 2/50 with no guaranteed money in the second year, assuming there isn't a demand for an extenstion.

I keep coming back to this as my only big criticism of the move. Let's assume all goes to plan and you're comfortable going with Love as your starter in 2022. It'll be his 3rd year, fine. But you're still getting slammed with $17 million in dead cap in moving Rodgers in 2022. That's not ideal even with an overall gain of $22 million ($39m cap hit for Rodgers in 2022). 

For this to really make more sense, I wish that 2022 dead cap number was lower. 

The other option is keep Rodgers for 3 more years, but then you come back to the fact that you're only getting Love as a starter for a single year on his rookie deal, plus a fifth year option. 

I had fully prepared myself that Green Bay was going to take a QB high.....but was for sure it was going to happen in the 2022 draft, maybe 2021 at the earliest. 

Edited by packfanfb

38 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

This was the singularly most depressing pick in the last 40+ years.   I didn't like picking Gary, Randall, Nick Perry, Justin Harrell etc.  Those picks combined do not bother me half as much as this pick.   Those misguided picks still seemed like the Packers trying to get better.    This pick doesn't help them get better.

How do you have confidence in a front office that gives Rodgers the contract extension and then pushes him out?

This isn’t close to as frustrating as Carrol, Harrel, or Gary. He wasn’t a round reach with injury concerns 

I can get behind taking a future QB when your guy has regressed, has injuries, and is 37.

• Like 1

Idk why people say we’re throwing in the towel because of this pick either.

Would it really blow people away if a guys like Pittman Jr,  Mims, Hamler ( please get him) , Shenault,  Higgans, Claypool, Edwards have better rookie years/careers than guys like Reagor and Aiyuk ?? Tbh I’m feeling pretty much the same if we get a second round WR than most of the first round WRs. 

Hardky throwing in the towel

• Like 1

The supporting cast is brutal to watch, You can say in 2019 that every WR and OL and RB that Tua and Burrow had and even Herbert to an extent will at least be in an NFL camp. I'm not sure anyone other than Love on the 2019 USU offense will be in an NFL camp. Makes the tape tough to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Really no need to link rando packers twitter pages man. Give it a rest.

I used to follow Rodney a bit ... he's always like this.  He hates Gute .. very negative.  I had to get it out of my life so I quit following a while back.  He literally bitched thru an entire 13-3 season.

Just now, pacman5252 said:

This isn’t close to as frustrating as Carrol, Harrel, or Gary. He wasn’t a round reach with injury concerns 

I can get behind taking a future QB when your guy has regressed, has injuries, and is 37.

Don't agree at all.   This pick says that the Green Bay Packers don't care about winning Super Bowls.   It says we really don't ever want to be terrible.

BTW Rodgers is 36, and will be for most of next season.   He has repetitively said that he plans to play into his 40's. 

My problem isn't with Rodgers or Love.  If you really don't think Rodgers is good enough anymore,  then trade him.   Don't extend his contract before it is up, only to make it difficult to move.

It shows that they aren't willing to take the bold moves required to win big.    Recent trends show that a formula for winning is getting a good QB on a rookie contract that gives you more money to surround them with talent.   With this move we threw away that opportunity, while also throwing away the opportunity to build on last years team in the best way possible with a couple good young players to take another shot at it.

• Like 1

packfanfb  -  I'll say this. I will feel a lot better about the Love pick if the Packers have a good Day 2 -- meaning getting two players who can contribute right away. That means going WR for sure with one of those picks, and ideally, an impact defensive player with the other pick - ILB, DL or CB. 

////

Heard some people talking last night about how it will be hard for GB to enhance it's Round 2 pick from 62?

That's a bummer if true. Knowledge of the depth of talent there is in this draft.....for me.....isnt a strong suit - but - sitting by while everybody in the league (including all the NFC teams we have to contend will....) load up some more.................that wont be pleasing.

I live in Bakersfield where Love played at Liberty High. I was gone with the military so never saw him play but I can for sure tell you that people I know I. The school district speak highly of him as a person as well as his family. I am definitely rooting for the local kid! 

• Like 4

Just now, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

My problem with this pick is that Love doesn't have field vision. He is like having Hundley with Kizer's arm. If he can't make a read to save his life, he will be an interception machine.

That’s such a lazy comparison. It couldn’t be further from the truth. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Notice the Saints didn't pick Love.  Their Coach has a better record of developing QB's and offense than MLF.   

Their QB is also older, and already has lined up his next job.   Loves talent wasn't enough to sidetrack their plan to trying to get a Lombardi.

So you want to take the last 15 years with our organization and trade it for whatever the Saints and Niners are doing?

28 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Its just frustrating to see teams like the Saints and 49ers getting better for next year, while the Packers are preparing for the future like they have been for the past 15-20 years, obviously that philosophy isn't working. It'll be another 10-11 wins for the packers with a playoff loss to another NFC west opponent most likely.

We won a Super Bowl 10 years ago having done exactly what we just did last night.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deathstar said:

So you want to take the last 15 years with our organization and trade it for whatever the Saints and Niners are doing?

I don't understand your point.   The 49ers and Saints are teams we need to be better than to get to a SB going forward.   Them getting better while the only thing we do is add a guy who will dived the team up into camps doesn't help us get better than the other NFC teams.

I really don't care a whole lot about the last 15 years any more.  they are done.  What gets us back to winning a Sb?    I don't think this move does that at all.