1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 hour ago, Swampbilly said:

obviously the common sense approach would be to bring in OLine or RB or WR or even a Defender

This makes me think you did not watch any GB games last season. We had a top-10 OL and a top-10 RB. A very good RB2. Defense was in the top-3rd of the league. If you are going to criticize the defense for the SF game, why not criticize Rodgers also for that game? If you saw any games, they must not have been in the 2nd half of the season, because Rodgers was legitimately bad over that stretch. Not just "below his high standards". 

Since you seem to like box scores, if you extrapolate Rodgers' 2nd half of the season over 16 games, you get this:

336/572, 3356y (#19), 20td (#21), 4 int (#1 %), 

58.74% comp (#32)

84.2 QB rating (#27)

Y/C= 9.98 (#31)

Y/A= 5.87 (#32)

Offense scored 20.1 ppg (#22) and gained 317.5 ypg (#26). And this in spite of the OL giving him top-10 avg time-to-throw. 

Literally the only thing good about it is the low INT's. 

at 50 sec, fails to recognize #16 has inside leverage and throw with anticipation for an easy 6 points.  Also fails to recognize the top route has over leverage and tries to throw under for a back shoulder instead of a deep end zone corner where its 50/50 jump or out the back incomplete.

at 1:42 on 1st and 10 and up 7-3 he overthrows the mid fade route instead of taking the easy 7-8 yard completion underneath in the zone.

at 3:10 he makes a big time throw where against what I'm guessing was bail out outside man coverage for 13 yard gain from the opposite hash to the top of the numbers.  It's 2nd and 8 and he has 2 much easier throws, one underneath in the inside zone which would likely net 5 yards and make 3rd and 3 ( manageable ) and one to his inside receiver running the far hash who has inside leverage and a possible 6 points.

3:22 on 3rd and 5 he misses his slot receiver that's bunched up on the numbers close to the wideout.  Easy throw for the first up 7-6.

3:40 on 1st and 10 instead of following the play design to keep yardage manageable for 2nd and 3rd downs he opts not to throw to the open TE for the 4-5 yard gain and lob a duck down field into double coverage while on the move in an RPO.

4:01 on 2nd and 10 he takes a shot up top vs 1 on 1 in what is probably man press and bail coverage, the Receiver almost makes a spectacular catch but what bothers me about it is Love's sloppy footwork with no pressure.  He pushes off the throwing leg and generates no equal force by the pull from the non throwing leg.  He gets away with it here, but vs the better NFL Corners that goes the other way.

I'm less than 1/3 of the way through with the breakdown, but I've seen the entire film and it gets worse from here.

He has potential, I hope he works out for the Pack.  I wouldn't bet on it but hey I'm a Fins Fan and Tua might not work out either.

I sincerely wish Pack Fans Good Luck on the upcoming Season.

14 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm not saying he's terrible because of the Michigan St. game. I've said it's good film. He has some dimes that game. There are less instances of him throwing late that game. I've also said that you see the same issues that terrify me about Love as prospect. You can't watch that film and not see numerous poor misses. I feel like I have to say this because I've been going down this road for 80 pages now and nothing has changed:

I understand why you guys like him. Please try and understand why I don't. Guys with his ball placement inconsistencies rarely succeed in the NFL. He has a bad habit of throwing off his back foot. He's late on reads too much and gets away with it because he has a super arm and college teams can't take advantage of it. Yes, his Michigan St. film is nice. He has a lot more that is far worse. You can't just watch one game or a highlight reel and decide he's awesome. Especially when it's not the norm.

There are negatives. Every QB prospect has a ton of negatives. I specifically called out this video because you were arguing with AG that this shows him to be a bad player. We can watch the Air Force or CSU games if you want and go play by play. 

Watson and Jackson are two very recent QB’s who had placement issues who excelled. This isn’t a kiss of death like not being able to hit all the routes on the tree. 

Love’s mechanics can be refined, just as Rodge changed his when he came to the big league. It’s fine you don’t like him. I’m not a fan per se. however, he’s a good prospect worth a 1st. 

Edited by dcerb44
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcerb44 said:

There are negatives. Every QB prospect has a ton of negatives. I specifically called out this video because you were arguing with AG that this shows him to be a bad player. We can watch the Air Force or CSU games if you want and go play by play. 

Watson and Jackson are two very recent QB’s who had placement issues who excelled. This isn’t a kiss of death like not being able to hit all the routes on the tree. 

Love’s mechanics can be refined, just as Rodge changed his when he came to the big league. It’s fine you don’t like him. I’m not a fan per se. however, he’s a good prospect worth a 1st. 

This. His deficiencies can be fixed but his physical gifts can not be learned. 

15 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

at 50 sec, fails to recognize #16 has inside leverage and throw with anticipation for an easy 6 points.  Also fails to recognize the top route has over leverage and tries to throw under for a back shoulder instead of a deep end zone corner where its 50/50 jump or out the back incomplete.

at 1:42 on 1st and 10 and up 7-3 he overthrows the mid fade route instead of taking the easy 7-8 yard completion underneath in the zone.

at 3:10 he makes a big time throw where against what I'm guessing was bail out outside man coverage for 13 yard gain from the opposite hash to the top of the numbers.  It's 2nd and 8 and he has 2 much easier throws, one underneath in the inside zone which would likely net 5 yards and make 3rd and 3 ( manageable ) and one to his inside receiver running the far hash who has inside leverage and a possible 6 points.

3:22 on 3rd and 5 he misses his slot receiver that's bunched up on the numbers close to the wideout.  Easy throw for the first up 7-6.

3:40 on 1st and 10 instead of following the play design to keep yardage manageable for 2nd and 3rd downs he opts not to throw to the open TE for the 4-5 yard gain and lob a duck down field into double coverage while on the move in an RPO.

4:01 on 2nd and 10 he takes a shot up top vs 1 on 1 in what is probably man press and bail coverage, the Receiver almost makes a spectacular catch but what bothers me about it is Love's sloppy footwork with no pressure.  He pushes off the throwing leg and generates no equal force by the pull from the non throwing leg.  He gets away with it here, but vs the better NFL Corners that goes the other way.

I'm less than 1/3 of the way through with the breakdown, but I've seen the entire film and it gets worse from here.

He has potential, I hope he works out for the Pack.  I wouldn't bet on it but hey I'm a Fins Fan and Tua might not work out either.

I sincerely wish Pack Fans Good Luck on the upcoming Season.

50: had one on one coverage to the outside, and MSU was giving every indication somebody was dropping deep middle. Not a bad read at all. 

1:42 Again, had one on one and the guy was open. He tok the shot. That's not a bad decision

3:10 We're busting on a dude for THAT play???? Do you want him taking risks and throwing deep or not trying to rip on him for not throwing the vertical route there.

3:22 Does miss the slot. Still delivers a helluva ball that probably should have been caught for a bigger gain.

3:40 Come on, we have no idea what is going on off screen there. 

4:01: That was a good throw.

Good lord man, you would conclude Burrow is ******* trash if you looked at Burrow under that lens.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

50: had one on one coverage to the outside, and MSU was giving every indication somebody was dropping deep middle. Not a bad read at all. 

1:42 Again, had one on one and the guy was open. He tok the shot. That's not a bad decision

3:10 We're busting on a dude for THAT play???? Do you want him taking risks and throwing deep or not trying to rip on him for not throwing the vertical route there.

3:22 Does miss the slot. Still delivers a helluva ball that probably should have been caught for a bigger gain.

3:40 Come on, we have no idea what is going on off screen there. 

4:01: That was a good throw.

Good lord man, you would conclude Burrow is ******* trash if you looked at Burrow under that lens.

I’m a Football Coach.  I looked at it like I look at every QB tape when trying to help that player improve.

Im not saying Love is trash, I’ve said earlier in this thread that I think he can be a good QB for you after a few years of development.  I just question trading up for a 1st round QB with Rodgers still playing well IMO.

I respect your opinion on my breakdown, but I’m sure that his QB coach told him something along the lines of my breakdown in the Monday QB meeting.

Edited by Swampbilly

4 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I’m a Football Coach.  I looked at it like I look at every QB tape when trying to help that player improve.

Im not saying Love is trash, I’ve said earlier in this thread that I think he can be a good QB for you after a few years of development.  I just question trading up for a 1st round QB with Rodgers still playing well IMO.

Which is an entirely different mindset than you look at tape when scouting a player to draft. 

Touchdown, first down, checkdown is the order for a reason. You're not busting on a player for "missing" the slant if he's throwing the vert. That's dumb.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which is an entirely different mindset than you look at tape when scouting a player to draft. 

Touchdown, first down, checkdown is the order for a reason. You're not busting on a player for "missing" the slant if he's throwing the vert. That's dumb.

Either what your claiming just isn’t the case, or I’m not understanding your claim here.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

TD, First, Check down is typically the order yes, but when the QB is consistently trying to make the hardest throw in every play, and sometimes miss reading the defense.....that’s something that brings up questions to me