1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the team failing to draft a quarterback "wasn't by design." 

The Patriots emerged from draft weekend with second-year fourth-rounder Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer still atop the depth chart. "If we feel like we find the right situation, we'll certainly draft them," Belichick said. "We've drafted them in multiple years, multiple points in the draft. Didn't work out the last three days. That wasn't by design." It's hard to believe the Pats will move forward with Stidham as Tom Brady's unquestioned replacement, though he did have a nice 2019 preseason after his disappointing final year at Auburn. The Pats clearly have some degree of comfort after passing on quarterbacks in both the draft and a deep free agent class. 

I bet that means they may have had plans to trade up to get Love especially after choosing to trade down at 23. The best QB of all time has just left and I guarantee Belichick was looking to get a QB in the 1st or 2nd. No way he would've been happy going into the season with the QBs he has. He got too cute by trading down. 

I think the Colts may have seriously considered trading up too as they had two 2nd round picks. Rivers is probably only there for 1 year and it makes sense if they were looking for a QB to groom as his replacement and to ultimately replace Andrew Luck.

Interestingly both teams had a shot at drafting Jalen Hurts in the 2nd but both passed on him. I don't think they expected the Eagles to draft a QB and probably felt they could get him at the bottom of the 2nd or early 3rd round.

Belichick next target was probably Jacob Eason but the Colts nabbed him and he subsequently traded down shortly afterwards.

Its clear both teams were competing with each other to nab a QB, I don't think either expected the Packers to trade up considering we have Rodgers under contract for 4 years or for the Eagles to draft a QB.

You can sort of understand why Belichick said "it wasn't by design".

Edited by Chili

2 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

This is being universally panned as a horrible move, and it looks even worse when you take into account the rest of the draft class.  You guys know something that everyone else doesn't?

Honestly, who cares what everyone outside of the organization thinks?  If you draft according to your own grades, then you're either right or you're not.  You're not going to draft according to someone else's grades.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Gute said he was preparing to move down sooo .......

I mean, if there are six picks before you get to pick, and there are 4-5 guys that you would be willing to take in the first round still available, then you should be working to move both up and down. Up to get one of the last guys you have a first round grade on, and down in case you can't move up and they all get taken.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Wonder if they are also safe guarding against Rodgers breaking down over the next 4 years. He has had significant injuries.

I brought this up somewhere but this might also be part of him as the short term backup value 

32 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Honestly, who cares what everyone outside of the organization thinks?  If you draft according to your own grades, then you're either right or you're not.  You're not going to draft according to someone else's grades.

Over drafting players and failing to address major weaknesses on the roster has been proven to fail. GB's model clearly hasn't been effective

38 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Gute said he was preparing to move down sooo ....... I think the trade up talk was for someone else and when Love fell he adjusted before dropping

I am certain Love was the last guy from the draft with a 1st round grade. I am certain that they wanted to draft Aiyuk but once the 49ers jumped in and drafted him, the Packers decided to draft Love. 

I don't believe there was any trade back options available as no team in the end of the first round traded back. 

2 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Over drafting players and failing to address major weaknesses on the roster has been proven to fail. GB's model clearly hasn't been effective

13-3 says not true.

But hey, your crystal ball is better than mine.

Shouldn't you be in the Titans forum pumping Ryan Tannehill instead of pot stirring here?  I can see how you got lost though, given that we were all talking yesterday about the Packers trying to emulate the Titans, right down to a LenWhale White reference.

19 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Lol. How so? They were in the NFC championship game last year after drafting in the top half the 2 years before that with MM in charge and primarily TT’s guys on the field.

Looks like Gute is doing something right!

Edited by MantyWrestler

18 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Lol sure. Sure it has.

Totally proven.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

13-3 says not true.

But hey, your crystal ball is better than mine.

Shouldn't you be in the Titans forum pumping Ryan Tannehill instead of pot stirring here?  I can see how you got lost though, given that we were all talking yesterday about the Packers trying to emulate the Titans, right down to a LenWhale White reference.

Every other team in the draft got better, including the team which embarrassed us.  We did not.  Tannehill in Tennessee is an example of how adding talented players instead of using bottom of the depth chart receivers and TEs can actually help a QB.  I know as a GB fan that's shocking, but looking at the run on receivers, the league seems to agree.

And you know why we went 13-3?  They added talent via FA.  They drafted fairly well.  Why didn't we just stay on that path?