1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Just now, Patriotplayer90 said:

Every other team in the draft got better, including the team which embarrassed us.  We did not.  Tannehill in Tennessee is an example of how adding talented players instead of using bottom of the depth chart receivers and TEs can actually help a QB.  I know as a GB fan that's shocking, but looking at the run on receivers, the league seems to agree.

And you know why we went 13-3?  They added talent via FA.  They drafted fairly well.  Why didn't we just stay on that path?

What is this we?  Your a Titans fan.  Run along little boy, you bother me.

32. Green Bay Packers

• Grade: D

Draft picks: QB Jordan Love, RB A.J. Dillon, TE Josiah Deguara, LB Kamal Martin, G Jon Runyan, C Jake Hanson, OT Simon Stepaniak, S Vernon Scott, DE/OLB Jonathan Garvin

Last and least, where to begin with this whiff of a class for Brian Gutekunst? After working so hard to build a 13-3 Super Bowl contender with Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur last year, Green Bay drafted too much for future years. Love, Dillon, Deguara all won’t help them win more games in 2020. Martin and Garvin were the best picks in relation to what they needed. They should have considered offensive tackle earlier and it was absolutely shocking to not add a wide receiver to support Rodgers. Heck, a defensive lineman for their 3-4 front even would have been nice. The Vikings, Cowboys, Buccaneers, 49ers and Saints all did much better as NFC contenders in relation, too.

Enjoy.  You can be a fan of any team and know that Green Bay blew it.

Edited by Patriotplayer90

2 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

32. Green Bay Packers

Draft picks: QB Jordan Love, RB A.J. Dillon, TE Josiah Deguara, LB Kamal Martin, G Jon Runyan, C Jake Hanson, OT Simon Stepaniak, S Vernon Scott, DE/OLB Jonathan Garvin

Last and least, where to begin with this whiff of a class for Brian Gutekunst? After working so hard to build a 13-3 Super Bowl contender with Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur last year, Green Bay drafted too much for future years. Love, Dillon, Deguara all won’t help them win more games in 2020. Martin and Garvin were the best picks in relation to what they needed. They should have considered offensive tackle earlier and it was absolutely shocking to not add a wide receiver to support Rodgers. Heck, a defensive lineman for their 3-4 front even would have been nice. The Vikings, Cowboys, Buccaneers, 49ers and Saints all did much better as NFC contenders in relation, too.

Enjoy.

I knew I was right- they were 13-3 last year.  I am so proud of myself.

10 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Every other team in the draft got better, including the team which embarrassed us.  We did not.  Tannehill in Tennessee is an example of how adding talented players instead of using bottom of the depth chart receivers and TEs can actually help a QB.  I know as a GB fan that's shocking, but looking at the run on receivers, the league seems to agree.

And you know why we went 13-3?  They added talent via FA.  They drafted fairly well.  Why didn't we just stay on that path?

No, this was a draft made for teams in the top 10, or having 2 first round picks in the middle to bottom half. I like what the 49ers did. 

If you're a betting man, I believe Trevor Lawrence will be A Patriot next year. 

11 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

32. Green Bay Packers

Enjoy.  You can be a fan of any team and know that Green Bay blew it.

If Jordan Love is a franchise QB this class is an A+ even if the other 8 picks blow.

I couldn't give less of a crap what pundits say about it. If we can enjoy another decade of playoff football because Jordan Love is a stud, everyone will remember April 23 2020 just as they do April 23 2005, the last universally hated draft the Packers had.

• Like 4

Off topic, but did the 49ers really get better?

They replaced Deforest Buckner with a highly rated rookie, and they replaced Emanual Sanders with a highly rated rookie.  Then got some late round picks like we did.

Seems to me that if neither one busts, they stayed about the same.

But hey, the grass is always greener- or that is what they say.

The Packers had a 13-3 team, lost one key player in Bulaga, that they addressed in free agency, admittedly a down grade, and drafted depth at QB, RB, and tight end. We may not have gotten better, but maybe we put ourselves to withstand a few injuries if we aren't as lucky as we were last year.

Gute said he doesn't believe in the "we are one player away from the super bowl" thought line.  Each year is different, and things fell right for the Packers last year to get to 13-3.  We all kind of know that they were probably closer to a 10-6 squad then a true 13-3 team, but kind of caught lightning in a bottle along with a lot of breaks.  They deemed it more important to continue putting LaFleur's offensive vision in place then trying to "go for it" hoping that a late 1st, 2nd, 3rd rd picks,etc, would put them over the top on the road to the Super Bowl.  I guess we will see.  Heck, maybe these scheme specific pieces on offense will actually lead to more improvement on offense.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

They replaced Deforest Buckner with a highly rated rookie, and they replaced Emanual Sanders with a highly rated rookie.  Then got some late round picks like we did.

Seems to me that if neither one busts, they stayed about the same.

But hey, the grass is always greener- or that is what they say.

The Packers had a 13-3 team, lost one key player in Bulaga, that they addressed in free agency, admittedly a down grade, and drafted depth at QB, RB, and tight end. We may not have gotten better, but maybe we put ourselves to withstand a few injuries if we aren't as lucky as we were last year.

Yes, the 49ers did improve. I believe they added better talents to replace the 2 they lost. I think their key lost was Joe Stanley, but they were in the SB a year ago with their first year QB. 

5 minutes ago, sshle_ said:

Yes, the 49ers did improve. I believe they added better talents to replace the 2 they lost. I think their key lost was Joe Stanley, but they were in the SB a year ago with their first year QB. 

There is no way to say that Kinlaw will outperform Buckner. Nor is there anyway to say that Aiyuk will outperform Sanders.  Those are good sized shoes to fill, and they have had high picks not turn out well in the past- Solomon Thomas is one for instance.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sshle_ said:

Last year was not their QB's first year. He was injured the year prior. 

9 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

There is no way to say that Kinlaw will outperform Buckner. Nor is there anyway to say that Aiyuk will outperform Sanders.  Those are good sized shoes to fill, and they have had high picks not turn out well in the past- Solomon Thomas is one for instance.

Not to mention Trent Williams was out all of last year and he's replacing Joe Staley. 

37 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Aiyuk will be there for a full season as opposed to Sanders who came in mid-season last year, so that may be a wash.

KInlaw is unlikely to be as good in Buckner in year one.

They traded Breida who had been in the doghouse but have Coleman, Mostert, and McKinnon returning so SF should be fine at RB.

Williams will likely be an upgrade for Staley who was on his last legs and injured last season at LT.

Don't know if the Niners really got better.

What I DO KNOW is that San Francisco was significantly better than Green Bay last season and I don't think the gap between the two teams has been closed much if at all.

41 minutes ago, sshle_ said:

Yes, the 49ers did improve. I believe they added better talents to replace the 2 they lost. I think their key lost was Joe Stanley, but they were in the SB a year ago with their first year QB

How was Jimmy G a first year QB?

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Aiyuk will be there for a full season as opposed to Sanders who came in mid-season last year, so that may be a wash.

KInlaw is unlikely to be as good in Buckner in year one.

They traded Breida who had been in the doghouse but have Coleman, Mostert, and McKinnon returning so SF should be fine at RB.

Williams will likely be an upgrade for Staley who was on his last legs and injured last season at LT.

Don't know if the Niners really got better.

What I DO KNOW is that San Francisco was significantly better than Green Bay last season and I don't think the gap between the two teams has been closed much if at all.

I agree with that.  

The only thing that the Packers have going for them is they will have more experience playing against Shanahan's concepts, which will help. All the moving parts affects the play speed of the defense as they get distracted or get confused on the adjustment.

There is always that one team that has your number, and right now its the 49ers.  The whole picture changes if someone like the Seahawks, who played them tough this year, knock them out.  Sometimes that is what you need if the gap is too big to close drafting at 30 and having tight cap space like we did.

A lot of ridiculous chatter on this thread.  Aaron done in GB after 2020?  There is only one scenario in which that could be true.  He'd have to suffer a career ending injury.  Otherwise anyone thinking this is delusional.  The only way Aaron leaves GB is if Love beats him out.  Guess what?  Not gonna happen.  Way I see it Aaron will be the starting QB for the next three years.  That's fine with me.  After that time we'll see.  

I like Love's potential.  It was a smart move to draft him.  He will be a disaster if he has to play this year.  In his second year he should serve as a very capable back up.  Year 3 he could probably start and not see a big drop off from Aaron.  Kinda the way I see it.  It's a win win for the Pack.  If Aaron god forbid goes down we won't have to just give up on the season.  

Aaron is not Tom Brady.  He's a different type of player.  Once his legs go his level of play will drop precipitously.  Personally I think he's good until 40.  He may want to play a few years after that but it probably won't be in GB.  Think it will either be Love or some other QB who will be able to beat him out by that time.  Sorry Aaron you are human and can't cheat father time.  

Well that's the way I see it.  And yes the timing is right.  And yes it was a good use of our 1st round pick.  Personally I would have went after Rosen and ponied up a 6th.  Maybe he just sucks or his lack of mobility is the issue.  Still a promising QB bet he ends up in NE now.  

• Like 2