1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Can't base Loves future on the KC game.  Let him get a few games under his belt, get into a rhythm.

The Packers didn't change much preparing for that game.  Love could have been protected better and plays designed for him.  The Rodgers COVID news came later in the week.  They didn't have time to tailor a game to Love.  Dont put much into that game.

Edited by NFLGURU

5 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I get your point, but I don't think that is what is going to happen here. I believe Green Bay went all in this year knowing that they can still extend players and make a bulk of the pay out be after the 2023 season when the TV deal money comes in. If that is the case you theoretically do not have to have a year where you lose everyone because the influx of the extra money was being used responsibly. Aaron and Adams might not be here. They could trade him, get the picks and the cap number is a lot better. That being said they could also extend him and have the money come after 2023 and still the cap will look good after next year. Covid screwed the NFL's cap and the TV deal is going to save it. You don't need to have a bad year to be cap healthy again if they use the money correctly. I have faith they will. 

Tank year is the wrong words. 

But if we aren't likely to compete for a Championship we shouldn't kick cap. Doesn't mean you don't try and win and if you hit on rookies you can do very well. But there should be a clean up.

As an example, King to name one players costs 5m against the cap next year. So about 2.5% of the 2022 cap is to pay King to play for us in 2021. So you are at a disadvantage to other teams (and this is one example we did this across the board). So next year because you are paying 2021  salaries , you need to restructure more and end up in a bigger hole.  Then in 2023 the cap rises everyone else gets 40m extra to spend and players want bigger contracts but we have budgeted that 40m to pay the 2021 and 2022 contracts so can't pay the bigger contracts.

Its all about use of resources.  If your going for a title then you  do what you can and pile up the debt onto future years.   But if you aren't going for a title then it makes sense to clear the debt. Its not a tank year but it is a year when you have to lose the expensive guys. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Tank year is the wrong words. 

But if we aren't likely to compete for a Championship we shouldn't kick cap. Doesn't mean you don't try and win and if you hit on rookies you can do very well. But there should be a clean up.

As an example, King to name one players costs 5m against the cap next year. So about 2.5% of the 2022 cap is to pay King to play for us in 2021. So you are at a disadvantage to other teams (and this is one example we did this across the board). So next year because you are paying 2021  salaries , you need to restructure more and end up in a bigger hole.  Then in 2023 the cap rises everyone else gets 40m extra to spend and players want bigger contracts but we have budgeted that 40m to pay the 2021 and 2022 contracts so can't pay the bigger contracts.

Its all about use of resources.  If your going for a title then you  do what you can and pile up the debt onto future years.   But if you aren't going for a title then it makes sense to clear the debt. Its not a tank year but it is a year when you have to lose the expensive guys. 

It's resetting the cap to have more cap resources to bolster and fill key positions.  The 2019 FA group was a big reason why GB went to the NFCCG after the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know what more you want.  Kid has had one game.

And @beekay414 told you about the Matthieu play, one that Tyrann set up Love.  And the arm strength defeated it.

It didn't jump out at you because it was effortless.

Telling yah, that is the saving grace to Love.  The ball rockets out of his hand so effortlessly that it doesn't look powerful, but it really is.  It is a great trait to have.

I've watched enough Fields to see that he has a strong arm.  And when it has jumped out on tape, it is because his whole body torques to make it look like a fastball.

Love isn't that way, and this is no slight on Fields.  But Love throws a better, more natural ball.

I think many have too strong a case of seeing what they want to see.   IMO Love hasn't really shown above average arm strength as of yet.   You are putting a lot of weight into one throw that really was nothing but a bad decsion.

I would really like to be wrong, but cant agree on Love showing more than Fields,  I'd really like to see Love throw some passes that dont appear tentative.   Just let it rip and see what he has.   I hope what he has is a lot more than what has been made evident thus far.

12 hours ago, hitnhope said:

I think many have too strong a case of seeing what they want to see.   IMO Love hasn't really shown above average arm strength as of yet.   You are putting a lot of weight into one throw that really was nothing but a bad decsion.

I would really like to be wrong, but cant agree on Love showing more than Fields,  I'd really like to see Love throw some passes that dont appear tentative.   Just let it rip and see what he has.   I hope what he has is a lot more than what has been made evident thus far.

I was hoping when he got his chances he'd wow us, but so far that hasn't been the case and it's not all that unusual.  I think there's talent there for sure, but he's going to need to go thru some growing pains to get to where he needs to be.  Accuracy concerns me the most .. he struggles to hit some of the easy stuff.  I think he's pretty good in the pocket, and shows some ability to make something out of nothing on occasion.  I think in general the arm strength is good enough, but he needs to get his footwork right or the ball flutters around.  He's thrown some deep sideline routes that were borderline 'wow' throws.  I think Love has to stay on top of his mechanics .. he's not in Rodgers league as a pure thrower.