2020 Draft Round One Recap - Winners and losers

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I think it's more like he's missing like the core concept of a football forum.

As far as I'm concerned, winners (best picks) are:

1. Miami (Tua): They landed their QB without trading up to 3, which is kinda nuts, but good for them.

2. Tampa (Wirfs): Wirfs falling this far was surprising.  They probably didn't need to move up, but they got some much needed protection for Brady.

3. Minnesota (Gladney): Getting Gladney, that late, after Terrell, Igbinoghene, and Arnette got snatched and moving down was a steal.

4. Denver (Jeudy): Jeudy slipping this far was a steal.  It's ridiculous that he just fell into their laps like that.

5. Dallas (Lamb): Not a big need, but Lamb falling that far was something they just couldn't ignore I guess.  Excellent value.

And the losers (worst):

1. Green Bay (Love): This is such a stupid, stupid, waste of a pick.  Love might be good in a few years on the bench, so it's a good fit for him, but the Packers were one of the best teams in the league, with a SB winning QB, and they picked a QB.

2. Las Vegas (Arnette/Ruggs): Bad first round for them.  Speedster WR that they took first over superior prospects, and then a big reach on Arnette.

3. San Fran (Aiyuk): I didn't hate the Kinlaw pick, he's a beast, but they squandered their opportunity to grab their choice of receiver, and ended up having to take Aiyuk, who's like a third rounder IMO.

4. New Orleans (Ruiz): So, after drafting a stellar rookie center in 2019 and only having like three draft picks, they select....a center.  To play guard.

5a. Miami (Igbinoghene): This is a reach.  Good job trading down for it, but I still think there were a few better options there.

5b. Kansas City (Edwards-Helaire): Another reach.  Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins were probably all better options.  They don't have a ton of needs, so yeah, it's a luxury, but it was also kinda squandered.

I would put the Titans down as a poor pick, but with as much clock as they used, it was pretty clear to me that they were trying to trade down.  The format definitely seemed to stifle trades, so it's I guess all they could do, but there were better players even at the same position, IMO.  Still, he's an upside pick that they don't have to start this season, just like Simmons last year.  In Robinson we trust.

Shanny said Aiyuk was his #1 WR on his board and if Kinlaw was gone they more then likely picked him at 14.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

If they say so.  I remember all the buzz being that they wanted Ruggs.

I'm not shocked they liked Aiyuk. That makes all the sense in the world. I'm shocked they felt the need to trade up for him there....that was, like so many of Shanny's draft day trade debacles, a disaster. You know that Lynch has no say on the offensive picks, and this is what we have traded up for offensively under the Shanny: 

• Dante Pettis
  • CJ Beathard
  • Joe Williams
  • Brandon Aiyuk

That is not a good look for Shanny to me. I like Aiyuk as a player, I think Shanny liking him is one of the least surprising things in this draft. I don't even mind the spot (though I don't love the fit with the 49ers specifically because I think Aiyuk needs a heavy dose of slot work, though I suppose given the pre snap motion that the 49ers use, it could alleviate some press coverage). But jesus, you don't have to trade up for him. He's not good enough that if he goes between 25 and 31 (which seems unlikely in hindsight) that you're bereft of comparable talent....

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

The Packers trading up to grab Love is really the perfect encapsulation of just how much they basically spent Rodgers' entire career taking for granted that they had a HoF QB they should have been owning the entire league with. 

and expecting him to win with JAGs around him to catch his balls.

similar to what the Ravens did with Flacco and i am not comparing the 2, Ravens FO just couldn't give a poop about surrounding him with some talented wideouts.