Day 2 Draft Discussion

Ragnarok

Hurts is not the black Taysom Hill - Hill was undrafted. 

This was a shocking pick. The best case scenerio is either that he doesn't ever see the field (meaning Wentz is healthy) or he's a good backup QB for when Wentz is injured. Not much upside there, if any at all. 

7 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

1 what are the pats doing 

2 what are the packers doing

3 are the bears trying to build a team out of only TEs

lol

I don't think Pats has draft has been bad and I'm normally hyper critical. Jennings was the only pick that made me shrug, but he's such a Patriots-esque kinda selection it almost felt inevitable  

5 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I don't think Pats has draft has been bad and I'm normally hyper critical. Jennings was the only pick that made me shrug, but he's such a Patriots-esque kinda selection it almost felt inevitable  

Can vouch for the bold.

I'm low on the dugger pick, due it being a bit of a reach - but at least he's done the inverse of what he usually does, he's taken an athletic freak over a 4 year captain with good ethic. I get the player, but the level of opposition scares me and the position seems a bit high.

Real high on Uche, don't mind the TEs at all. As for Jennings, he can set an edge and he plays the run well - so we always want that.

Edited by Hunter2_1

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

To me, the best Draft's thus far belong to the following teams:

#1 NYJ:

Mekhi Becton, LT Louisville
Denzel Mims, WR Baylor
Ashtyn Davis, FS/CB Cal
Jabari Zuniga, DE Florida

-------

#2 Washington:

Chase Young, DE Ohio State
Antonio Gibson, WR/RB Memphis

-------

#3 Minnesota:

Justin Jefferson, WR LSU
Jeff Gladney, CB TCU
Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State
Cameron Danzler, CB Miss. St.

--------

#4 Miami:

Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama
Austin Jackson, LT USC
Noah Igbinoghene, NCB/CB Auburn
Robert Hunt, RG/RT Louisiana-Lafayette
Raekwon Davis, DE Alabama
Brandon Jones, S Texas

Dolphins and Redskins have had 2 of the worst drafts thus far IMO.

The best drafts belong to the Ravens and Jaguars.  Love almost all their picks especially Dobbins,  Chaisson, and Shenault. 

I think we can say that ATL are an example of a team that don't trust the big board. 

On a big board, there is no way Terrell is above Lamb, for anyone. They've gone need there - which is fine. Compare that with DAL who needed DE/CB/S - but the value with Lamb was far too good to pass up. They trusted their big board.

Just an observation. Not saying either side is right.....apart from Dallas. They're right.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think we can say that ATL are an example of a team that don't trust the big board. 

On a big board, there is no way Terrell is above Lamb, for anyone. They've gone need there - which is fine. Compare that with DAL who needed DE/CB/S - but the value with Lamb was far too good to pass up. They trusted their big board.

Just an observation. Not saying either side is right.....apart from Dallas. They're right.

Agree. I hate the obsession with filling holes. Many successful execs are strong supporters of the 'you are never one piece away' mentality.

You build the best roster possible. Often it's better to make a strength even more dominant (e.g. Lamb), rather than making a need pick (Terrell) that's rated at best in the next tier by all scouts. Terrell makes the Falcons CB group better, but he won't turn them into a very good unit by himself and certainly not this year. With Lamb in the mix, the Falcons passing game could be unstoppable right now and for years to come.

Just look at all Superbowl teams in recent history. All had some weaknesses and holes, but they had exceptional talent in some position groups that lead to domination on the field. Look no further than the 49ers (elite DL, yet they keep drafting DL) or Chiefs (elite offense, yet they keep drafting explosive playmakers). Certainly the 49ers could've used a legit #1 WR or the Chiefs some help on defense. But bottom line is they invested in their strengths, which made them even more dangerous.

Edited by Fullback
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

no... you just weigh big board and need, its a balance between the two. How did it workout for detriot  when they drafted rogers, williams and williams or something? Falcons are pretty much set at WR and pass catchers, maybe you trade back if someone really wants Lamb but you dont ignore obvious needs just so you can draft a guy thats rated 10 spots higher. im not enthralled with the pick, but its not because that didnt pick a talented guy at a psotion they have no need at, its because terrell is a slight reach. But the corner board was a mess and there was no consensus #3 and quite frankly i, nor anyone here, have the time or resources that nfl teams do. I personally would have preferred chiasson but im not dumb enough to think he wasnt heavily looked into by atl.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Agree. I hate the obsession with filling holes. Many successful execs are strong supporters of the 'you are never one piece away' mentality.

You build the best roster possible. Often it's better to make a strength even more dominant (e.g. Lamb), rather than making a need pick (Terrell) that's rated at best in the next tier by all scouts. Terrell makes the Falcons CB group better, but he won't turn them into a very good unit by himself and certainly not this year. With Lamb in the mix, the Falcons passing game could be unstoppable right now and for years to come.

Just look at all Superbowl teams in recent history. All had some weaknesses and holes, but they had exceptional talent in some position groups that lead to domination on the field. Look no further than the 49ers (elite DL, yet they keep drafting DL) or Chiefs (elite offense, yet they keep drafting explosive playmakers). Certainly the 49ers could've used a legit #1 WR or the Chiefs some help on defense. But bottom line is they invested in their strengths, which made them even more dangerous.

You can never have enough pass rusher generally and the niners had a hole to replace in buckner. Its not the same scenario. KC needed a RB, again not the same scenario. Falcons have Jones, Ridley, Gage (who people may not know but looks like a pretty good slot guy) and hurst now. Pass catcher is in no way a need for them, the teams youre mentioning had needs at those positions. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

You can never have enough pass rusher generally and the niners had a hole to replace in buckner. Its not the same scenario. KC needed a RB, again not the same scenario. Falcons have Jones, Ridley, Gage (who people may not know but looks like a pretty good slot guy) and hurst now. Pass catcher is in no way a need for them, the teams youre mentioning had needs at those positions. 

I agree with what you said about it being a balance. But in this instance, the balance is skewed by the players in question. You needed a CB, yes (jury is out whether he was even the BPA at his position - but it's who they wanted). You didn't need Lamb, but he makes your team better.

In fact, I'd say a WR corps of Jones, Ridley, Lamb, Gage is unplayable. 

It's about balance, as you say, and on balance ATL got a tiny bit better than what they could have, overall.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Dolphins and Redskins have had 2 of the worst drafts thus far IMO.

The best drafts belong to the Ravens and Jaguars.  Love almost all their picks especially Dobbins,  Chaisson, and Shenault. 

I'd have to throw Carolina in there for best draft so far:

Brown 

Gross-Matos

Chinn: 

Edited by SweetFancyMoses
  • Like 2