2nd Round (43rd overall) - TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I mean that's the only time I saw him the first one off the ball, you know what I mean?

I dunno... God I hate this pick lol

A lot of the times his first 5 yards is quicker off the snap than his WRs...

I don't see a reason to hate this pick other than the fact he is not a elite prospect...but if he wasn't he wouldn't be here...what I would say is there is a ton to work with if he is dedicated which he seems to be.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

A lot of the times his first 5 yards is quicker off the snap than his WRs...

I don't see a reason to hate this pick other than the fact he is not a elite prospect...but if he wasn't he wouldn't be here...what I would say is there is a ton to work with if he is dedicated which he seems to be.

In my mind it's because I feel like he's not only a makeup draft pick for the bust that was Adam Shaheen, but athletically I see the same large/lumbering/stiff athlete. Kmet has better speed, but his fluidity is severely lacking and looking at what Travis Kelce (Gold Standard in my mind) and Zach Ertz are asked to do in this offense, I do not think Cole Kmet can be that guy. So it double pisses me off. I think Chase Claypool was the pick to make and instead we went for the "super friendly, intelligent, team first, hard working" draft pick.

I hope to God he makes me eat these words, but I see just a dude that will be nothing more than average in this offense.

• Like 3

Just now, abstract_thought said:

That tape really did nothing for me. He looks like a lumbering big guy who plays softer than his size. Even the way he catches the ball is at times pretty bad.

I wont' say he plays soft because he does seem to seek out contact and bang into defenders, but lumbering is exactly what I see. Kellen Davis style vomit (except Davis put up better athletic testing numbers).

Just now, G08 said:

In my mind it's because I feel like he's not only a makeup draft pick for the bust that was Adam Shaheen, but athletically I see the same large/lumbering/stiff athlete. Kmet has better speed, but his fluidity is severely lacking and looking at what Travis Kelce (Gold Standard in my mind) and Zach Ertz are asked to do in this offense, I do not think Cole Kmet can be that guy. So it double pisses me off. I think Chase Claypool was the pick to make and instead we went for the "super friendly, intelligent, team first, hard working" draft pick.

I hope to God he makes me eat these words, but I see just a dude that will be nothing more than average in this offense.

No way I take Claypool over Kmet as a pure TE...and I think we are looking for a guy who can offer us something at multiple TE positions...for me I think Kmet is more agile than Shaheen...certainly has much better balance...don't see him on the ground anywhere near as much...hands are significantly better too.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Fair, but this offense values the 'U' tight end. That's where dudes make their money, right? Why the hell are we drafting a 'Y'?

I think they believe Graham plays the "U" Kmet plays "Y" early then moves out to "U"...that's what I suspect Pace has in mind.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I wont' say he plays soft because he does seem to seek out contact and bang into defenders, but lumbering is exactly what I see. Kellen Davis style vomit (except Davis put up better athletic testing numbers).

Maybe "weak" is more accurate. He's getting tossed around by college LBs and even though he seeks out contact, he really doesn't seem to break tackles. Even at the catch point he doesn't dominate with his size. Everything just looks awkward/uncomfortable for him.

He also very noticeably gave up on several plays.

38 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I love how this is the top comment

I must be missing something. I saw a TE that can't make a block to save his life, average route-running, and struggled to separate. Made a couple of nice hand-catches, but mostly dump-off passes given up by the defense. His stat sheet on this game looks good but I'm struggling seeing the transition into the NFL.

What the hell was he watching? 

Shea McClellin would bullrush the kid. FML. 

As long as he is wide open he's gold though.   lol

Edited by Sugashane