2nd Round (43rd overall) - TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think they believe Graham plays the "U" Kmet plays "Y" early then moves out to "U"...that's what I suspect Pace has in mind.

I honestly think Graham is a better blocker. I'd just switch them and start Kmet at the U. Hopefully he does that well enough. 

Just now, Sugashane said:

I honestly think Graham is a better blocker. I'd just switch them and start Kmet at the U. Hopefully he does that well enough. 

I have now watched three full games...his blocking seems more like a strength & technique issue rather than a effort or will issue which is good...when he gets a wide base and drops his hips he is actually not so bad...just don't see it enough...I would have no issue throwing him in at the "F" but I reckon they will work him in at both spots.

2 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Simple. I see an Olsen comparison when I watch highlights.

https://beargoggleson.com/2020/03/10/finding-nfl-comparisons-for-cole-kmet/

Overall, the best NFL comparison for Kmet is Martellus Bennett. A floor type of player would be Dion Sims, and the upside at the highest level could be Rob Gronkowski.

The highest level could be the greatest TE ever? Put down the booze

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would agree some of his blocking for a man who is 6-5" 260lbs was poor but no one can deny his route running, separation, explosiveness off the snap and hands are all good here.

Full disclaimer: ND fan here so I am a bit biased but I have also seen every game that he has played.

The highlight video vs the Bulldogs doesn't do him justice and neither do his stats.

Things you see in the video that are consistent from game to game and year to year.
1) Has some huge soft hands. The kid has some big hands and uses them well. One thing you will notice in the video that all of his catches are made with his hands and not with his body unless the ball placement or angle forces him too. He will have an occasional WTF drop here and there but so does every one else. Even Hamler, Fink, and James.

2) He is not afraid to get hit! He will still fight for the ball even if he knows a hit is inevitable (Book likes to leave his targets out to dry). 

3) Absorbs contact like a kevlar vest. He won't wow you by shedding a tackle and then take it 40 yards but get him the ball at the 7 or 8 yard line and he will fight for those extra 2-3 yards and get you a first down.

4) He will not give up on plays. Even after he finishes his route he will trail back to wherever the QB is and try to give him a viable target and good angle to throw to. 

5) Good body control when fighting for passes out of the normal range or at a bad angle (again Book is the most accurate to say the least). 

6) Route running is good but tends to round out his cuts more often than I would like. As bad of a QB that Book is, I can't blame all of the ill-advised throws on him when Kmet was supposed to already be there to meet the ball and he wasn't because he was treating a cut route like a whip route.  Hamler had the same issue last year too.

Things you DON'T see in the video that are consistent from game to game and year to year.

1) Will draw alot of penalties in the NFL. He is a physical player who draws alot of penalties because he knows how to create separation in the mid-field &/or frustrate defenders by boxing them out or fighting them off in the end zone.

2) Does commit a lot of stupid penalties -- mostly offsides, which is very frustrating. But I will say that I'm not sure this should go into this category of game to game though because he seems to go through spurts. He will have several games with no penalties at all but then he will string together several costly ones in a single game. However, things like these can be coached, and with all the flack that Nagy may take, one of his better qualities is that he does run a pretty disciplined ship.

3) His pass blocking leaves alot to be desired. His footwork is terrible and he seems to rely too much on upper body strength that he doesn't have and that gets him pushed around pretty easily by pass rushers. He is a decent second level blocker vs safeties and corners on the outside though so he would be ideal to use a blocker on stretch run plays, jets sweeps, end arounds, etc.

4) He is very "football smart" and is excellent with his timing routes which is perfect in Nagy's offense. He won't tip the play by turning his head toward the QB until he is supposed to and this will usually lead to a positive down if he is open and as long as the QB is on the same page with the clock in his head (I know, this part doesn't mix well with Mitch).

5) Can come through in the clutch. 4th down, or game on the line in the red zone, or a key first down to get into FG range. IF the QB can get him the ball before the defense closes in on him (*depressing ND sigh*)

6) He was open alot more than his stats will show!  It's just unfortunate that we have a QB with happy feet who chooses to takes his eyes off the field and bails out of the pocket before the play develops. Oh wait, I'm sorry, you thought I was talking about Mitch? Oh no, I was still talking about Book. It's just a coincidence that they both have this problem FML.

All in all, I know I'm in the minority here but I'm happy with the pick. Pace needed to fix the offense and he used our first pick to do it while also filling a need at TE.

Were there other players on the board that I would have taken over Kmet? Yes. Defiantly. But we also have to keep in mind that Kmet could work out and all of  those players that we think are better prospects could just as easily bust as well.

He's strictly a Y according to Pace, which makes a lot more sense now. I think we're going to see a lot of 12 personnel next season and in the future (not complaining).

Also explains why we didn't go after WR.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

He's strictly a Y according to Pace, which makes a lot more sense now. I think we're going to see a lot of 12 personnel next season and in the future (not complaining).

Also explains why we didn't go after WR.

See, this I don't agree with. Not entirely anyhow. Both Graham and Kmet have trouble blocking so neither really fit the bill of being a TRUE Y in this offense--both are more of a in-between U and Y, but closer to a U type.

I think we are going to see a mixture of both of them playing the U and Y and that we are going to see alot more of either Harris or Horsted. Maybe Nagy is going to try to emulate the Ravens 3 TE set offense.

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

See, this I don't agree with. Not entirely anyhow. Both Graham and Kmet have trouble blocking so neither really fit the bill of being a TRUE Y in this offense--both are more of a in-between U and Y, but closer to a U type.

I think we are going to see a mixture of both of them playing the U and Y and that we are going to see alot more of either Harris or Horsted. Maybe Nagy is going to try to emulate the Ravens 3 TE set offense.

If the vision is to run more of the Philly version of the Reid offense then at least I can see the plan. That doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s a reach pick for 43 even in that scenario - I definitely do - but at least it’s a plan that adds up with what has played out this offseason. I mean, we did just trade for a QB who’s had his only real NFL success in that version of this offense... 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If the vision is to run more of the Philly version of the Reid offense then at least I can see the plan. That doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s a reach pick for 43 even in that scenario - I definitely do - but at least it’s a plan that adds up with what has played out this offseason. I mean, we did just trade for a QB who’s had his only real NFL success in that version of this offense... 

Yes. We were sold on the idea that Nagy was going to bring in the same offensive concept that KC and Philly run and that only lasted for a few games. The last year and half Nagy has been trying to create his path by overthinking things by coming up with "hard to digest" playbooks and I'm hoping (and thinking) that he has finally realized that A) Mitch is NOT the QB to try this with and B) he needs to go back to basics to save his job. 

The more I see how things are panning out, the more I'm seeing a pattern here that leads me to believe that Nagy may have FINALLY learned his lesson and that we finally see the type of offense that were promised 2 years ago. . 

Edit: Also keep in mind. Why didn't he choose a WR at 43 or 50? This also makes sense if he plans to run more of a strong base offense. Arob, Miller and Ridley are a good fit for it too.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

So real talk.... we need WR speed and I'm already through the guys I had on my board.....

Who should I be looking out for in the later rounds, since I feel like it's still a need to be addressed, and I'm rather shocked we didn't already do so

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

So real talk.... we need WR speed and I'm already through the guys I had on my board.....

Who should I be looking out for in the later rounds, since I feel like it's still a need to be addressed, and I'm rather shocked we didn't already do so

John Hightower from Boise State is a speed / deep threat guy I like at 163 if he’s there. 

• Like 1