2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I'm guessing most that don't like him because he didn't offer much as a receiving back at BC. But thats why we have Jones for that role.

Maybe that’s a reason. I just think people don’t like the position so they criticize the player

• Like 1

I'm sure it's just a sample size thing, but I keep seeing Dillon is a great pass pro guy, in the two games I've watched of his, Clemson and ND, he's got a pretty bad sack allowed in both of them. 

Also this dude ran like 4 routes all year. This BC offense has never even heard of an angle route, how are you guys evaluating his pass catching?

47 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I mean if people are saying he goes down too easily it’s ignoring that he gained 1100 yards after contact.

Is the 1100 yards over his career?

Got to be honest, I'm watching these and it is really depressing how frequently he gets taken down by a DB alone. 

Thoughts On AJ Dillon

+++ His best asset is vision on the inside. A lot of backs come from teams that have stacked offensive lines. They get accustomed to the holes being where they're supposed to be. Boston College's offensive line is decent, but it's not helped by always going against stacked boxes. Clemson in particular really just gummed up the works up the middle. Dillon was still able to produce in that game by finding gaps as they came open, hitting them hard, and falling forward. It's an ugly and inefficient way of playing football, but sometimes when a team is outmatched talent wise, ugly and grinding can be a way to go. 

++ His second best asset is his straight-line speed. I think most people were surprised to see his fast 40 time. Honestly, it shows on tape. When he can get going and build up a head of steam, he's fast. That plays better at the pro level than it will in college. Boston College loved their inside zones and iso runs. For a guy his size, you would think that would be his bread and butter, and he was good at manuevering inside and being productive with it, but the few times they were able to get the edge or get him an outside gap open, he really showed his explosiveness through the hole and his ability to outrun guys. Big guys with the speed to run the outside zone aren't super common.

+ His third best asset is his size and ability to fall forward. He's a tall back and a heavy back. When he meets contact he falls forward a lot. He's not the punishing runner that a guy like Derrick Henry is, who can lower his pads and really deliver a blow, but he carries some momentum behind him and when people go for his legs, he ends up falling forward and extending well. This does carry over as a blocker as well where he operates well as a lead blocker in two back sets and in pass pro (when he makes the right read).

- His third worst asset is his inexperience catching the ball. There's a difference between "inexperience" and "inability". It's just something that needs to be taught and worked on. He's going to be raw in that facet of the game as Boston College does not appear to have ever heard of RB pass catching concepts..

- - His second worst asset is his close quarters ability. The frequency with which he gets taken down by a 190lb DB in tight spaces is very frustrating. Obviously most backs get taken down in tight quarters a lot, but the special ones are able to find a way either through physicality or by shiftiness to make a guy miss in tight spaces. There are a few plays a game where you see him following a pulling Guard to the outside and there's a crease with a Safety in it, and you want to scream at him to build up some speed and deliver a blow, but instead he dances. 

- - - His worst asset is his ability to cut at full speed. A lot of people are going to look at his 40 time and say, "he's got the same 40 time as Aaron Jones. He's going to be so good." and that's missing what makes Jones so good. Jones is capable of cutting at what seems to be almost full speed. Taller backs often struggle with this unless they have prodigious balance and loose hips, Jamaal Williams does also. Dillon just does not have the same ability to square up on a DB and cut off of them and pull away. It's just not clean and that's going to impact his ability as a homerun hitter at the pro level.

Ultimately there's a lot to like here, the most obvious comparison if everything works out correctly is James Conner, and I think that works as a comp.

My issue with the pick is value. I think you can get a RB with an overall skillset this good later in the draft. However, it's a flavor that teams running an offense like the Packers do like, and one that isn't particularly common.

Overall Grade: D

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Thoughts On AJ Dillon

+++ His best asset is vision on the inside. A lot of backs come from teams that have stacked offensive lines. They get accustomed to the holes being where they're supposed to be. Boston College's offensive line is decent, but it's not helped by always going against stacked boxes. Clemson in particular really just gummed up the works up the middle. Dillon was still able to produce in that game by finding gaps as they came open, hitting them hard, and falling forward. It's an ugly and inefficient way of playing football, but sometimes when a team is outmatched talent wise, ugly and grinding can be a way to go. 

++ His second best asset is his straight-line speed. I think most people were surprised to see his fast 40 time. Honestly, it shows on tape. When he can get going and build up a head of steam, he's fast. That plays better at the pro level than it will in college. Boston College loved their inside zones and iso runs. For a guy his size, you would think that would be his bread and butter, and he was good at manuevering inside and being productive with it, but the few times they were able to get the edge or get him an outside gap open, he really showed his explosiveness through the hole and his ability to outrun guys. Big guys with the speed to run the outside zone aren't super common.

+ His third best asset is his size and ability to fall forward. He's a tall back and a heavy back. When he meets contact he falls forward a lot. He's not the punishing runner that a guy like Derrick Henry is, who can lower his pads and really deliver a blow, but he carries some momentum behind him and when people go for his legs, he ends up falling forward and extending well. This does carry over as a blocker as well where he operates well as a lead blocker in two back sets and in pass pro (when he makes the right read).

- His third worst asset is his inexperience catching the ball. There's a difference between "inexperience" and "inability". It's just something that needs to be taught and worked on. He's going to be raw in that facet of the game as Boston College does not appear to have ever heard of RB pass catching concepts..

- - His second worst asset is his close quarters ability. The frequency with which he gets taken down by a 190lb DB in tight spaces is very frustrating. Obviously most backs get taken down in tight quarters a lot, but the special ones are able to find a way either through physicality or by shiftiness to make a guy miss in tight spaces. There are a few plays a game where you see him following a pulling Guard to the outside and there's a crease with a Safety in it, and you want to scream at him to build up some speed and deliver a blow, but instead he dances. 

- - - His worst asset is his ability to cut at full speed. A lot of people are going to look at his 40 time and say, "he's got the same 40 time as Aaron Jones. He's going to be so good." and that's missing what makes Jones so good. Jones is capable of cutting at what seems to be almost full speed. Taller backs often struggle with this unless they have prodigious balance and loose hips, Jamaal Williams does also. Dillon just does not have the same ability to square up on a DB and cut off of them and pull away. It's just not clean and that's going to impact his ability as a homerun hitter at the pro level.

Ultimately there's a lot to like here, the most obvious comparison if everything works out correctly is James Conner, and I think that works as a comp.

My issue with the pick is value. I think you can get a RB with an overall skillset this good later in the draft. However, it's a flavor that teams running an offense like the Packers do like, and one that isn't particularly common.

Overall Grade: D

I agree with most of what you say here.  I first watched the Wake Forrest game which bothered me, but I think he did better against Clemson, especially after Clemson got up by a lot and was playing their second tier guys.

He is an upright runner and tall, so it is easy for DB's to get to his legs and bring him down.  He seemed to me to be, for lack of a better word, a disciplined runner that had patience for the hole to develop and then hit it.  It just surprised me that for a guy his size he doesn't run over guys.  I wanted to compare him to Ron Dayne given his size, but Dayne would run over DB's as opposed to Dillon who gets tackled.

The BC QB was awful, so who knows what he would have been if he was on a team that had a passing attack for the defense to worry about.

I am willing to give Gute the benefit of the doubt on this one.  I feel this was a pick to give Lafleur another option to go against defenses whose weakness is interior run defense, so that Jones can be fresher and not have to go for harder yardage inside.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I haven't, just suspect it is the case. But I suspect the answer is yes.

If, big if, we can get 2 years like Lacy gave us it is worth a late second round pick.  His first two seasons he gave us about 1400 total yards and 12 total TDs.  Lacy gets a bad rap because of the way he declined.  But he was a very good football player.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LacyEd00.htm

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If, big if, we can get 2 years like Lacy gave us it is worth a late second round pick.  His first two seasons he gave us about 1400 total yards and 12 total TDs.  Lacy gets a bad rap because of the way he declined.  But he was a very good football player.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LacyEd00.htm

Sorry. I don't see that as value