2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

9 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

We're going to love Dillon on 3rd and shorts, he does not go down easily. He's also very nimble and can accelerate quickly for his size.  This game shows a lot of what he's made of.

I don't like drafting a RB this early this year, but I don't mind the player after watching him a bit.

I doubt Crosby is gonna give up his number.  ;)

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

- - - His worst asset is his ability to cut at full speed. A lot of people are going to look at his 40 time and say, "he's got the same 40 time as Aaron Jones. He's going to be so good." and that's missing what makes Jones so good. Jones is capable of cutting at what seems to be almost full speed. Taller backs often struggle with this unless they have prodigious balance and loose hips, Jamaal Williams does also. Dillon just does not have the same ability to square up on a DB and cut off of them and pull away. It's just not clean and that's going to impact his ability as a homerun hitter at the pro level.

This is my biggest concern with him.  There are many times where he could break off even bigger runs if he could just plant his foot and make a cut, but his cuts tend to be big looping turns.  He's the polar opposite of Jones in that regard.  I liked Darrynton Evans a lot for that slashing ability, but I guess MLF wants to try to replicate Derrick Henry.  I think Derrick Henry cuts better than Dillon though and has better acceleration.  Dillon is a very momentum-based runner.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You have a warped sense of what a second rounder is supposed to produce on a rookie contract. 

Well maybe I took it too literal. Two years at 1,100 yards each is good value for a 2nd Round back ? Maybe I'm missing something

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Well maybe I took it too literal. Two years at 1,100 yards each is good value for a 2nd Round back ? Maybe I'm missing something

Does 3000 yards (rushing and receiving) and 29TDs make you feel better about those two years?

Those were two tremendous years. 

• Like 1

Didnt we have some snaps last year with jamal and aaron jones on the field at the same time? With jamal operating in a blocking role? Would love to see dillon and jones on the field together and mixing up their roles. Pretty sure i saw some snaps with dillon as a lead blocker. Maybe against FSU, cant remember

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Does 3000 yards (rushing and receiving) and 29TDs make you feel better about those two years?

Those were two tremendous years. 

I did take it too literally. You are citing 4 years and I took it as 2 years production and 0 production for the other 2. 

Yea I'm good with Lacy's full body of work for a 2nd

I've seen him in several places being compared to Eddie Lacy and they couldn't be any more different. Its completely and utterly wrong.

Lacy was a big bowling ball with quick feet and outstanding power, balance and agility for his size. He would literally bounce around and plowing over people as he worked his way through traffic.

Dillion is a long strider (meaning slower feet) with much better long speed. He doesn't have the physicality nor power of Lacy, he's far more finesse.

Dillion is very unusual as I have not seen a RB like him with his style and body type to compare to. He's weird, almost tweenerish, he's difficult to make sense of. Maybe a shorter Henry but without any of the acceleration and power. His style probably does fit well in a ZBS so I can kinda understand why we drafted him but still....way too early. He was a 4th rounder in my eyes.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, snackattack said:

Didnt we have some snaps last year with jamal and aaron jones on the field at the same time? With jamal operating in a blocking role? Would love to see dillon and jones on the field together and mixing up their roles. Pretty sure i saw some snaps with dillon as a lead blocker. Maybe against FSU, cant remember

Why though

I've never ever understood this. Help me understand.

Edited by Norm

You dont pay RB big money on 2nd contracts.

I think most agree on this point.  The argument can be what constitutes "big" money.

You don't use premium picks on RB.

Debate is whether the 62nd pick falls into the "premium" pick classification. 

‐--‐-‐-------

Fine with the player, not overly happy with the value with Jones and Williams in the fold for 2020.

3 minutes ago, snackattack said:

What part? That MLF might like two back sets?

I don't understand the idea that too halfbacks in the backfield is some advantage. I'm not trying to kill ya here, I've just talked about this for ages and everyone seems to love it and I don't get it.