2.62 - AJ Dillon [RB; Boston College]

CWood21

7 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't understand the idea that too halfbacks in the backfield is some advantage. I'm not trying to kill ya here, I've just talked about this for ages and everyone seems to love it and I don't get it.

I gotcha. I just think its something MLF wants to roll with, and i think dillon brings more options and versatility to those looks than jamal does. Remember running a few plays this way in the first game against the vikings. Think we scored on a misdirection screen to jamal in this look fairly early in the game

We'll see, hope he ends up being a force.  Couple thoughts:

• I wonder if Gute isn't a little too-much impacted by combine numbers and RASC.  From those measurables, Dillon seems like good value for end of 2nd round.  But the actual player, maybe seems less than the measurables?
  • Not sure the Packers offense is actually going to be great for him?  Jones is awesome as a stop-and-go, quick adjust guy.  The blocking doesn't always create the gaps where the play was meant to create them, but he can just pop in or out wherever the defense deforms to allow a hole.  But Dillon is too big and heavy for that. 
  • Jones can get under traffic; like Williams, Dillon seems too top-heavy for that. 
  • That's partly where combine doesn't capture.  The 40, that's straight-line.  The 3-cone, you know before the gun snaps exactly where those cones are, and how to prepare weight-shifts.  Way different in a real game where the landscape is constantly shifting and quick-shifts of momentum need to be both recognized and executed in split second.  
  • Combine measurements show very large hands.  I wonder if he actually has some undeveloped possibilities as a short pass catcher and screen guy?  A big guy like that with his speed and momentum, I'd love to have some tosses around the edge where he can get his speed and momentum rolling, with the Packers big receivers and TE's out ahead providing some blocking.  Obviously he won't have any of the quickness of stop-and-go screen guys.  But any ways to get him the ball with some space and chance to get full speed momentum could be fun.  

7 minutes ago, snackattack said:

I gotcha. I just think its something MLF wants to roll with, and i think dillon brings more options and versatility to those looks than jamal does. Remember running a few plays this way in the first game against the vikings. Think we scored on a misdirection screen to jamal in this look fairly early in the game

Heh heh, not sure I like it or it's likely to be effective.  But yeah, I could imagine MLF wanting to toy with the idea of two guys back there.  Heh heh, maybe we spend our 2nd pick on a fullback?  Thinking about it the two-back sets, I get.  Whether it would actually help or be effective, I'll believe it when I see it.  

Dumb or not, maybe MLF's ideal world is to play Dillon as fullback, Jones as half-back, play two TE's, and go with just one WR?  :):)

Hard to run well into stacked boxes, though.  

10 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Glad someone else noticed that he doesn't play like a power back. How the frick do you take a 250pnd finesse runner in the 2nd round? It's like drafting Darrell Thompson all over again. 

Funny, when I saw his tape the first name that came to mind was Darrell Thompson.  At least he's not a 1.  

• Like 1

Im not seeing all this “he doesnt play with power” stuff. I agree that he tries to make people miss rather than run over them while hes in space, but he plays with his power while hitting the whole. I guess people want to see more truck sticks on DBs while in the open, which i get and maybe something for him to improve, but the power shows up plenty.

6 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What is it exactly about the player you don’t like? Because I see this enormous, explosive back with speed who is going to do a lot of good things for us. 

Agility (he''s a tight, linear athlete), vision and hands.

Balance and burst(he's a long strider that takes a bit to get up to speed) also aren't where you'd like them to be. 

He's LenDale White.

9 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Agility (he''s a tight, linear athlete), vision and hands.

Balance and burst(he's a long strider that takes a bit to get up to speed) also aren't where you'd like them to be. 

He's LenDale White.

You know they called him LenWhale?

He cared nothing of the film room, weight room or really anything outside of gamedays. Dillon is a freak in the weight room, one of the lowest body fat % of the RBs and by far the heaviest.

Why can't he be Brandon Jacobs??

23 minutes ago, snackattack said:

Im not seeing all this “he doesnt play with power” stuff. I agree that he tries to make people miss rather than run over them while hes in space, but he plays with his power while hitting the whole. I guess people want to see more truck sticks on DBs while in the open, which i get and maybe something for him to improve, but the power shows up plenty.

That's a fair assessment. Runs a bit high through the hole. Pad level issue. Can be fixed if he is willing, and is not overly concerned with making "business decisions" (ala Lacy after his two concussions). I can't recall his 3 Cone, but even with the agility he shows at 250pnds, it still isn't Jones level nor can we expect it to be. Be a power runner. That's what you're built for. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He cared nothing of the film room, weight room or really anything outside of gamedays. Dillon is a freak in the weight room, one of the lowest body fat % of the RBs and by far the heaviest.

Because LenDale White keeps the Tennessee Titans motif going, LOL.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that White was more Lacy than professional athlete in the NFL. 

I know I'm dating myself here, but that's who I see in terms of play style.