2020 Draft Winners and losers

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

You are saying this to a team that won the Super Bowl with a backup QB. They know better. There is nothing resembling a backup QB on their roster. It was a need pick for a team with Carson Wentz at QB.

I asked him who he thought the good teams around the league were. He talked about the teams based on their QB.

Just so you know, this was when Jimmy Johnson was still HC.

J

Bro who the Hell drafts a backup QB at 53? And miss me with the Carson injury reason. You don't spend premium picks on backup players at any position EVER. "This guy's never gonna start unless Carson gets hurt, but let's take him at 53"

• Like 1

Just now, EagleBlueDon said:

Bro who the Hell drafts a backup QB at 53? And miss me with the Carson injury reason. You don't spend premium picks on backup players at any position EVER. "This guy's never gonna start unless Carson gets hurt, but let's take him at 53"

A team that needs a reliable backup. This is not hard. 

The Patriots have been spending premium picks on backups and developmental players for decades. 

J

Losers:

Biggest losers are the Packers and there isn't a remotely close second. They failed to take a single WR in the deepest WR class in memory, which was a great opportunity to load up and take not one but two receivers. The Eagles similarly had a glaring need at WR, and they triple dipped, increasing the odds that they come out of this with at least one foundatoinal piece. The move up for Jordan Love stands out.

The Raiders also have to be considered losers at this point. Even though there were some who had Ruggs as the top receiver, I'm not in that camp, and believe they overthought the pick. The Arnette pick is being rightfully criticized. If they were sold that he was the guy, they needed to trade down. You still have to get maximum value out of your picks (factor in that this was one of the Mack picks), and taking Arnette where they did doesn't add up. Tanner Muse in the 3rd to transition to linebacker is peak absurdity when it comes to Mayock's Clemson fascination. Amik Robertson/Bryan Edwards pick salvaged a poor draft.

Honorable mention to the Seahawks.

Winners:

Cowboys - Stood pat and landed CeeDee Lamb. Trevon Diggs in the 2nd. Gallimore in the 3rd. They just stood there and let high value players fall to him.

Vikings - Justin Jefferson, Gladney/Dantzler combo, Ezra Cleveland. Just a lot of good players that also filled needs. They are also winners because of the Packers faceplant

Browns - The Brows have been draft darlings for a few years now... a lot really comes down to Baker to make things come together. Wills was an easy pick at a position of glaring need, Grant Delpit is a perfect complement to Karl Joseph at safety.

Arizona - Simmons falling to them, and then still getting a first round caliber tackle in the 3rd round. Sandwich Hopkins in there... great stuff.

Colts get an honorable mention. If Eason becomes something, they skyrocket.

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 7

I like the Packers move in round 1. They got their QotF and lit a fire under Rodgers, which he badly needed. Their biggest problem last season was that AR was lazy. The rest of the draft, not so much. 

Vikings. How not with all those picks?
Baltimore did well by any standard. 
Denver laid the foundation, but we will need to see if they can extract the potential.
Dallas was surprisingly good. Indeed the whole division. 
Zona
The Jets deserve at least a nod. 

Losers

Vegas
Seattle 
Green Bay

The Packers are the biggest loser to me based solely on what they did with the first pick. I thought Oakland reached on some picks days 1/2, also. 

The Ravens seemed to knock it out of the park on paper. I’m not as big on Patrick Queen as most people, so I thought that pick was just OK. As a Buckeyes fan, I was also not that big on Malik Harrison as a draft prospect, so that one was JAG. They do have traditional success developing guys at the position though, that can’t be denied. I thought they knocked it out of the park with JK Dobbins in the second, that one was tough to swallow. The Duvernay pick made lots of sense also. They seem to have really executed a plan well.

It’s fun to look back on these threads a year from now though, as it’s really a crapshoot. If you hit on half your picks, you did well. I like what Detroit did, and Washington will get huge production out of Chase Young at the top. One alpha player can trump a few pretty good picks from another team.

Most of the drafts were pretty good by the teams. Need/value/opportunity costs were pretty with general rankings. That said, a few thought on teams flew under the radar a bit.

Not a fan of the Chargers draft. I thought all of their picks were reaches (especially the trade up for Murray, whom I am not a huge believer). Had to go to round 5 before I saw a pick that was a good "value" for the slot (I like their 7th rounder too). That said, the hit rate on end round picks is so low that I can't bump their grade up. 

The Saints didn't have a bad draft by any means but I am less enthused about it than others. Ruiz is a fine pick, but a "Safe one" which helps with depth and future cap flexibility but I'm not sure how much he plays this year. I am lower on Baun than most so I didn't love trading up for him. Trautman makes more sense but again, lots of picks traded.

Miami's draft is kind of underwhelming given they landed Tua without trading and had so many high picks. A tinge of Seattle/Al Davis here with a lot of athletes drafted more so than polished players. I like their coaching staff but they are a young team wtihout a ton of vets. Not sure I like that much "developmental" talent all together without the backbone of a strong lockeroom to teach them the ropes (ie the 49ers drafting Kinlaw/Aiyuk).

Green Bay was the only team I can say had a uniquely terrible draft, one of the worst in recent memory. Its not just drafting Love, its trading up to do it. Reaching on a RB. Drafting a non + athlete undersized TE, both of whom probably lack really high end upside. Their day 3 was pretty standard but non of their picks there seems particularly notable either.

Not just saying this to please, but I don't think there were any bad drafts. At all.

GB and PHI had the two head scratching moments, but kind of made up for it. Nothing is standing out.

Best drafts for me were probably - Dallas, Baltimore, Carolina, Jacksonville, NYJ, Arizona and Denver.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Not just saying this to please, but I don't think there were any bad drafts. At all.

GB and PHI had the two head scratching moments, but kind of made up for it. Nothing is standing out.

Best drafts for me were probably - Dallas, Baltimore, Carolina, Jacksonville, NYJ, Arizona and Denver.

I would agree with that.  Less time to prepare and less time to really dive into all of the prospects and fall in love with specific guys.  Also, I'm sure the draft rooms were streamlined and just the "need to know" guys were involved on video conferencing.  I definitely see that part being something that changes in the future for teams coming out of this- limiting opinions in the war room. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Bit strange but that's only one pick.

As a Packers fan, no sympathy.  Hated the Love pick and the draft got steadily worse. We came into the draft desperately needing to get our hands some of the receiving talent in the draft. Our DL got brutally abused in the Championship game - we got no help in free agency so it was clearly essential we got someone in the draft. Corner is becoming a sneaky need and the age of the OL is becoming a problem.

What did we get ?  A project back-up QB, a 3rd string running back we reached for, a full back, some late round OL who may or may not make the roster. 

You have to be open minded about it. Can't evaluate a draft for 4 years and if the Love/Dillon combination wins us the super-bowl then its a great draft. The head office know way more than us so you have to back their judgement but on the face of it, our draft looks an unmitigated disaster. I feel your distress over Hurts but we are like that with pretty much every pick. Draft grades and evaluations now are a bit silly but seeing as there is nothing else sports related to talk about it then surely we must win the 'biggest loser' by a massive margin. 

Maybe you can have the dodgiest single pick award ... but would probably swap our entire draft for Reagor. 

I love the Cardinals, Buccaneers, Cowboys, and Broncos’ drafts. I feel like all those teams got multiple, immediate-impact players. I like Baltimore and Miami’s drafts too. 

I don’t hate the two being most commonly mentioned - Philly/Green Bay. You can definitely say they should’ve taken a receiver early, and I’d agree, but I’m not faulting them for going Love there either. I wasn’t a fan of his but he’s very toolsy and will have the chance to perfect himself behind Rodgers. Jimmy was drafted when Brady was about the same age, same with Rodgers and Favre. The pick itself I don’t despise, but they definitely should’ve followed with a receiver. 

With Philly, you can’t trust Wentz to stay on the field. You just can’t and that’s not remotely up for debate, honestly. They addressed the receiver position well (biggest weakness, along with DB) so bringing in someone that can back up Wentz but also provide the offense with another wrinkle, isn’t a bad pick IMO.