The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kupp is underrated? He has over 2,000 receiving yards over the last two seasons, he's significantly better than Renfrow. 

He's definitely underrated in terms of being viewed as a threat. 

He's very much a capable WR1, but almost nobody gives him that recognition. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

We would've been one of the worst teams in the league, not league average, if we had drafted Lamar Jackson lol. 

Our offense wasn't tailored to him, our RB depth scared nobody, our D wasn't Baltimore's, our division was tougher, and Jackson in Gruden's offense would be hilariously bad after one or two games.

Baltimore had a really good team. Lamar is electric but we’ve been pretty dysfunctional for a while.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roi34 said:

....not with out defense. Ravens have had top defenses last several years.

We almost made it to the offs with our sorry defense. Add some extra redzone tds and more first downs boom playoffs. Carr had 27 passing tds last year ( some say his best year ever) lamar had 26 on a bad year. 

On 9/13/2021 at 5:32 PM, NYRaider said:

Kupp is underrated? He has over 2,000 receiving yards over the last two seasons, he's significantly better than Renfrow. 

Carr had 3 50+ yard TD passes in 2020, 2 in 2019, 0 in 2018, 3 in 2017, and 2 in 2016. Stafford had 2 tonight in his first game with the Rams. Goff had 2 in 2020, 1 in 2019, 2 in 2018, and 5 in 2017. Goff has had more explosive scoring plays than Carr over the last few seasons. Carr only has 2 games in his career with multiple 50+ yard TD passes and Goff only has 1. ]

Neither Carr or Goff have the ability to consistently make explosive plays down the field, Stafford does. 

He aso must be thrilled to have an elite offensive coach and and weapons around him

That's fine, he was in a terrible situation on a team with bad head coaches, bad defenses, and absolutely zero running game to lean on. 

Anyone that watched that game knows there's a realistic possibility that he wins the MVP award this year. He just had the greatest debut for a QB in their debut in NFL history. 

You do understand I was paying Kupp a compliment? I love Renfrow so a rich man's Renfrow is an absolute stud 😁😁 Kupp is not generally regarded as a top WR but he's great.

Stafford played very well but to say that was the best debut in history is pure hyperbole and kind of weakens your point I feel. He was very good and will have a great year I'm sure and I hope he and the Rams do well! For the Raiders, with Gruden I'd take Carr. If you disagree then you'd have a legitimate argument, as I said, I really like them both.

Forget the fumbles, what happens when a knee finally goes? It’s a testament to his moves it hasn’t happened yet. However? The more he runs, the more chances increase. Not saying anything about his abilities, he’s a stud, no doubt. But if I was a ravens fan, I’d definitely be nervous about that potential most of the time. Meanwhile, carr did ok after he shook off the rust. Lol!

19 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Great he's still not a good passer.

Not even close but he does not have to be.  Teams are so scared of him running that there are receivers running wide open all the time.  He made a couple nice throws yesterday and it looks like he improved but he still missed a lot of throws when the coverage was tight.  He is not capable of making the throw that the defender can not catch but his receiver can.  When you have tight coverage neither will catch it.

56 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Forget the fumbles, what happens when a knee finally goes? It’s a testament to his moves it hasn’t happened yet. However? The more he runs, the more chances increase. Not saying anything about his abilities, he’s a stud, no doubt. But if I was a ravens fan, I’d definitely be nervous about that potential most of the time. Meanwhile, carr did ok after he shook off the rust. Lol!

As soon as he looses the elite wheels he is toast.  Will probably end up as a 3rd string QB.  If I am not worried about you running I can lay however I like on the backend.  This is also why I want to see Carr take off more often.  If they run man coverage takeoff and pickup 7-8 yards.  They will have to start accounting for you so it will open up the passing game more.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

LMAO, was a long off season talking with some of you.
I want to make this thread into a book, so much hate. 
Some horrible, horrible takes in this thread. 

all that said, come on Carr, keep it up!

You know the saddest part to me? It was clear to me in 2015 that we had found our franchise QB. I thought perhaps he won't be one of the truly elite, top 5 guys, but without a doubt we had found our franchise QB, long time signal caller that we could win a lot of games with. For the first time in my lifetime we had identified and brought in a young QB that would be our home grown long term QB. And I preached then the most important thing we could do was provide consistency, provide strong leadership from the top down, allow him to get comfortable in a system and master it without adding constant coaching and front office turnover to the natural roster turnover that comes in the free agency era. Especially after having 3 head coaches and 2 offensive systems by the start of his 2nd NFL season. And we gave him a taste of that with Del Rio and Musgrave, and we received the best season in a long time because of it. And then the most unlucky thing happened with the injury, and we compounded the problem by letting Musgrave go soon after and thought Downing could take over without missing a beat and possibly even improving, and it was downhill from there. Which inevitably led to a new coach, another new system, a total rebuild stripping away the surrounding talent he did have, putting him in a position where even the best QBs would struggle on the field, and adding all the constant talk of replacing Carr that comes when a new HC takes over. Especially a personality like Gruden. 

And now that we have provided Carr with time inside the same system, under the same head coach and offensive coordinator for years we are back to seeing a Derek Carr through 3 games that has been arguably the best of his career and among the best in all the NFL at the QB position. 

I am extremely happy for Carr to see it. I for one never lost belief that he was still that guy, I always felt he was the one consistent we have had throughout his entire career and overall we did a poor job of surrounding him with overall talent, and did perhaps the worst thing you can do to a QB in their first 5 or so seasons giving them 4 head coaches, 4 different offensive coordinators, and bringing them in during a rebuild, having success, and then having another rebuild after that early success. There isn't a doubt in my mind Derek Carr is a franchise QB. Never has been. That isn't to say that he didn't play poorly in 2017 and 2018, but under the circumstances I think most would have. The leg injury and then the back injury didn't help. 

But let me ask everyone a question, how many people find it hard to believe that the Derek Carr we saw in 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020 and through 3 games in 2021 would be the same or perhaps even better at this point Carr we would have seen consistently throughout his career had he landed in a situation where he was drafted to one of the better run teams in the NFL that could have provided him with consistency in the front office, coaching staff, and surrounding him with players that help him play to his strengths? If he were drafted to a team like the Saints, Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Rams, Chiefs, etc? Personally, not much doubt in my mind had he landed in on a franchise like that from the start, the perception from the media, fans, and people in the NFL would be totally different. 

I just hope for our sake as fans, and for Derek himself who has handled being our QB for 7 years with nothing short of class, dignity, loyalty, dedication, and selflessness that he can continue to play lights out football and win a lot of games. Because for large stretches of his career we didn't do the things teams need to do to be worthy of a legitimate franchise QB, and it ultimately held that QB back from being everything he could be, and it held the team back from the success that usually comes with landing a QB like Carr. And we finally have done that for a few year stretch. Even if we haven't nailed every move and could have Carr and the team in an even better position, that is just the nature of the NFL beast.

One thing that has always been worthy of seeing a great team led by a franchise QB winning a lot of games is the fanbase being deserving of seeing a successful team. Even with all the never ending debates and discussion about DC and whether he was the guy. And it all stemmed from every fan wanting to see this team finally win after 20 years of never competing with anything remotely close to consistency. And I hope for all our sakes Carr himself and everyone on the team continues to ball out and get better with more experience and time together. Lord knows we deserve to watch winning football again. 

• Like 1