The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Show me a qb who doesn't look good without weapons. The fact is, Carr was tearing it up with Ruggs/Waller/Renfrow. Wasn't as good without Ruggs. Then struggled without Ruggs and Waller.

You think the next qb we bring in will be any different unless they're elite out of the box? Might as well load up. The 49ers did with with Garoppolo. Loaded up talent before drafting a rookie to groom.

Carr was tearing it up this year? Why do you think/ say that?

yards?

49 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

yards?

Short term, selective memory. Not surprised. You conveniently don't remember people calling him an MVP candidate early in the year albeit premature but they obviously talk about that stuff too early. 

Carr was playing fantastic whether you want to agree with it or not. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Matt Jones will have more playoff wins than carr in one year Iin the league. Pats fans had to deal with one year of cam to make it happen. I'm willing to do two years of a garbage qb to make it happen. 

Matt Jones converted to WR and quickly fell out of the league, so I have no idea what you're going on about. 

10 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Resigning Carr means the new staff and coach feels different about how bad the roster is than everybody in here. If roster is as bad as people say it is. Resigning Carr to 30 mill isn't a move a smart gm would do. Unless Mark makes them do it. And that's what I'm afraid of. 

Depends on the GM/HC.  Depends on how you want to build the team.  They may look at the success the team had before Gruden-gate and think they are one deep threat away from recapturing the explosive offense.  To get a better idea of how things will play out we need to know who will be hired.  Once again we will have to many changing parts to tell what the real issue is and that is extremely frustrating.

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

yards?

Whether you think he was tearing it up or not the only way to get a good idea of his impact is to see the next most capable QB under center for an extended period of time.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Whether you think he was tearing it up or not the only way to get a good idea of his impact is to see the next most capable QB under center for an extended period of time.

Any average QB would struggle with Olson calling plays (but Mariota could keep a few drives going with his scrambling ability) so i don't think we would learn much (nothing definitive either way). But it doesn't mean Carr is blameless since he's also leaving plays on the field when the calls got a target open. He's not agressive enough, some throws are off targets in key situations, he doesn't see some open guys and he's getting sacked on obvious blitzes where the hot read throw should be available (for example the Ioannidis sack this week, they're showing blitz and end up sending 6, got to get rid of it quickly because the protection won't hold up very long. there's a similar play against Dallas but i don't remember the details right now).

52 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

The one with Jacobs wide open in the middle on 3rd down is even worse.

I don't think I saw that one. 

It's another one of my issues with Carr. He gets tunnel vision on his favorite targets for stretches at a time. I remember the tape of Cooper consistently getting open and not getting looked at. 

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Any average QB would struggle with Olson calling plays (but Mariota could keep a few drives going with his scrambling ability) so i don't think we would learn much (nothing definitive either way). But it doesn't mean Carr is blameless since he's also leaving plays on the field when the calls got a target open. He's not agressive enough, some throws are off targets in key situations, he doesn't see some open guys and he's getting sacked on obvious blitzes where the hot read throw should be available (for example the Ioannidis sack this week, they're showing blitz and end up sending 6, got to get rid of it quickly because the protection won't hold up very long. there's a similar play against Dallas but i don't remember the details right now).

The point is to see how another QB performs under the same circumstances.  In a perfect world you want to only change 1 variable to see the true impact of that variable.

30 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The point is to see how another QB performs under the same circumstances.  In a perfect world you want to only change 1 variable to see the true impact of that variable.

I understand but Olson shares a lot of blame too.