State Of The Roster

Bianconero

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Once again I don’t agree with this.

Why bc he’s not our QB? So we can sit here and say Darnold can and will get better each year. But Allen can’t? That’s nonsense. The Bills have clearly seen the weakness has been weapons and they it a few more pieces to help out Allen. To assume he won’t be better... is pretty crazy to me.

Thing with Allen is even with a clean pocket he’s still super inaccurate. His running ability and natural arm talent carry him but we’ve seen that be a detriment to QBs like him eventually. 

To speak on Darnold we’ve seen him play well when protected. His accuracy, outside of his deep ball, is good to great when he’s got that. 

Darnold makes more boneheaded mistakes than Allen tho IMO.

I just don’t see a 7 win gap between the two teams. 

• Like 1

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

Thing with Allen is even with a clean pocket he’s still super inaccurate. His running ability and natural arm talent carry him but we’ve seen that be a detriment to QBs like him eventually. 

To speak on Darnold we’ve seen him play well when protected. His accuracy, outside of his deep ball, is good to great when he’s got that. 

Darnold makes more boneheaded mistakes than Allen tho IMO.

I just don’t see a 7 win gap between the two teams. 

I don't see a 7 game gap either. And I'm not at all saying Allen is a great QB. But to think they're not ahead of us IMO is being a homer.

What I'd like to add as well... is that this offseason will be very weird. That established teams will have a clear advantage when it comes time to play games. Meaning the teams with the least amount of moving pieces from last year that had success, I expect to be good. The teams that improved but without alot of new players I expect to struggle for a bit. This is even more true if its a team under a new system on offense and even on defense. We fall in the middle of this. We have the same system on both sides of the ball and our QB is under the system for another year. But we have a lot of moving pieces on offense. We have 4 new starting OLineman and 2 new starting WRs. Add that Herndon missed all of last season... to expect us to hit the ground running is very optimistic.

• Like 1

Ahh..hope springs eternal.  When I see the Jets product on the field I will then determine if it is the SOJ or we are building something.  Been a fan too long and disappointed too much.  What gives me hope this time around is our new FO.  JD seems to get it.  No big money contracts to older FA's that wind up haunting us.  Addressing true areas of need with good players (I truly believe Mac would have drafted Kinlaw, Chaisson or Terrell).  Creating a ton of competition at OL and CB ie, not gifting anyone a spot because of a high contract.

This draft provided me with more hope that I have not had in a long time that JD will bring us to the promised land.  Hell, because of him I even softened my stance on Gase.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Like there’s no way at full strength for both squads theres a 7 win gap. 

Yea. That doesn’t seem right. I don’t even think there’s a 7 win gap between the bills and dolphins.

Our division is playing some of the toughest divisions in the league. Just going through the schedules, I’m expecting 3 teams to be around 500 and Miami at like 5 or 6 wins. Based on our schedules, I wouldn’t be surprised if a team doesn’t win 10 games in our division. Something line 9-7, 8-8, 7-9, 6-10.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yea. That doesn’t seem right. I don’t even think there’s a 7 win gap between the bills and dolphins.

Our division is playing some of the toughest divisions in the league. Just going through the schedules, I’m expecting 3 teams to be around 500 and Miami at like 5 or 6 wins. Based on our schedules, I wouldn’t be surprised if a team doesn’t win 10 games in our division. Something line 9-7, 8-8, 7-9, 6-10.

I honestly hope this is the case. Would make things a lot of fun. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

What I'd like to add as well... is that this offseason will be very weird. That established teams will have a clear advantage when it comes time to play games. Meaning the teams with the least amount of moving pieces from last year that had success, I expect to be good. The teams that improved but without alot of new players I expect to struggle for a bit. This is even more true if its a team under a new system on offense and even on defense. We fall in the middle of this. We have the same system on both sides of the ball and our QB is under the system for another year. But we have a lot of moving pieces on offense. We have 4 new starting OLineman and 2 new starting WRs. Add that Herndon missed all of last season... to expect us to hit the ground running is very optimistic.

Absolutely. The teams installing new schemes with new coaches etc will be at a huge disadvantage IMO. Luckily that isn’t us in theory, but the moving parts among the offensive line could be an issue.

If Darnold is better than Allen, we should at the very least compete for the division - Simple as that IMO.

EDIT: Point being, there shouldn't be anymore excuses for Sam in year three. At some point we need to take the blinders off and see what we have.. Buffalo isn't the second coming of New England and if he can't put us in a position to compete with them this season, chances are a lot of us were wrong about him.

Edited by NJC33

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

If Darnold is better than Allen, we should at the very least compete for the division - Simple as that IMO.

EDIT: Point being, there shouldn't be anymore excuses for Sam in year three. At some point we need to take the blinders off and see what we have.. Buffalo isn't the second coming of New England and if he can't put us in a position to compete with them this season, chances are a lot of us were wrong about him.

Yes from a talent perspective your right. What Allen does have though is familiarity with his offense. Sam knows the system but its in fact 6 new starters on offense for him. 7 if you include Herndon who was suspended or injured all year and hasn't played nearly at all in this system. He's only played with Bell, Crowder and whoever wins the G job between Winters and Lewis.

As I stated in a regular offseason I dont think it would be a big issue. But this offseason I think it will be. Not a lot of time to work with each other to build that trust in each other. especially on the OL and Darnold trusting where his WR will be and being on the same page. Where Buffalo doesnt have nearly as many moving parts to their team. Thats why I give them the advantage. On paper... we are right there with them if not better. But on the field this season I could see them hitting the ground running, where we might struggle for several weeks.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes from a talent perspective your right. What Allen does have though is familiarity with his offense. Sam knows the system but its in fact 6 new starters on offense for him. 7 if you include Herndon who was suspended or injured all year and hasn't played nearly at all in this system. He's only played with Bell, Crowder and whoever wins the G job between Winters and Lewis.

As I stated in a regular offseason I dont think it would be a big issue. But this offseason I think it will be. Not a lot of time to work with each other to build that trust in each other. especially on the OL and Darnold trusting where his WR will be and being on the same page. Where Buffalo doesnt have nearly as many moving parts to their team. Thats why I give them the advantage. On paper... we are right there with them if not better. But on the field this season I could see them hitting the ground running, where we might struggle for several weeks.

I'm not arguing that Allen and the Bills aren't in a better situation - I think that's obvious.

At some point, the pressure has to be put on Sam to overcome the adversity surrounding him. Great quarterbacks have flourished in far worse situations and if the expectation is for Sam to reach that echelon, he needs to prove it in year three. The reality is, if we find ourselves continuously making excuses for his play this season, he's probably not the guy we thought he was. On the flip side, if he goes out there and lights it up, you can expect us to be in the hunt for a division title. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I honestly hope this is the case. Would make things a lot of fun. 

Same. Our division is going to be fun to watch. We also have some good coaches in the division which will make it fun. And all of us have young QBs. I’m hopeful that Darnold is the best of the bunch. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

These secondary groups in our division (now including us) are legit. 

Not sure the Jets CBs come anywhere close to the other AFC East teams. Obviously we have the best safety tandem by far, but the other 3 teams have legit #1 shut down corners.

31 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Not sure the Jets CBs come anywhere close to the other AFC East teams. Obviously we have the best safety tandem by far, but the other 3 teams have legit #1 shut down corners.

In name value? No but skill set wise we’re strong. Big, physical Corners who can hit.

We don’t have a true shutdown but the sum of the parts is legit. I wish they had a legit EDGE threat to help them out. 

1 hour ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Oh they’re not on that level. But we have a lot of potential there now. I might be a bit too high on Hall. But I think he was virtually like getting another 1st rounder.