2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

barmore doesnt look like a top 20 pick to me. he's plenty strong but so many of his pressures in college just come from throwing the OL off of him. while its great to see that kind of power, i dont think he shows the suddenness or moves that other guys like Quinnen or Leonard Williams had to be a real pass rushing threat.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

barmore doesnt look like a top 20 pick to me. he's plenty strong but so many of his pressures in college just come from throwing the OL off of him. while its great to see that kind of power, i dont think he shows the suddenness or moves that other guys like Quinnen or Leonard Williams had to be a real pass rushing threat.

Basically confirming the pick if he's a reach

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

Agreed. He's a day 2 pick to me. He gets pushed back a fair amount when he can disengage. He's way to raw for my likeing at 17.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed. He's a day 2 pick to me. He gets pushed back a fair amount when he can disengage. He's way to raw for my likeing at 17.

I mostly agree. If we trade down to 25-30 and he was there and we pulled the trigger I would be ok with it. Depending on whether Ojulari or one or two guys was still there at 17. 

I haven't done an official big board yet overall, but I feel like Barmore will end up slotting in somewhere around 25-35. 

I watch him at times and see some dominating traits, I think he's incredibly powerful, even among the most powerful guys at his position coming out most years his power sticks out to me, and I think he has very good athleticism for his position, but it's only flashes, there's no consistency throughout showing those things you can hang your hat on. I feel like he got a lot of production schemed open for him or in the same system that put the other DT that came before him at Bama that seems to churn out highly regarded DT regularly. They just have so much more NFL caliber talent all throughout that defense and particularly in the front seven than a lot of the teams they play in a year combined. 

I'm usually a big draft for traits and trust your ability to develop the intricacies of the position and that guys get better with more NFL experience. And Barmore has some of those traits I usually love in prospects. But those traits just don't flash enough CONSISTENTLY for me to love the idea of taking him in the middle of round one. If we traded down to the end of round one and took him I would support it more than likely. But to me Barmore seems like the guy you take someone else in round one and hope he falls into your lap in round 2 because if he does you just hit it oit of the park. If he were available with our second that would be an easy selection in my eyes. 

Basically I like him as a prospect end of the first or start of the second, but I don't trust what I see from him enough to take at 17. I'm hoping he continues to be so mixed among the draft community and it reflects how GMs feel and we can start the draft with something like Ojulari and then land Barmore in the second either with our pick or a small trade up. Those two picks along with a couple decent pickups in free agency on the DL so we don't ask too much from both immediately could pay huge in two or three years to making the DL a dominat one. And to me that's the most important aspect of getting the defense where it needs to be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reddevil said:

I think Barmore will be the pick. I just have a feeling. Big programme, position of need, perhaps a slight reach (although I think mid first is about right for him).

I think Grudock will want to make up for missing out of Q. Williams and might see some of him in Barmore. 

Lets see how he performs at his pro day, if he lights it up I don't think it will be considered a reach. 

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was 1st team All-SEC and the NCG Defensive MVP. 

Against what??  Players didn't even practice. Games were canceled left and right, school's canceled there seasons. Most of this year's tape is worthless, you have to go back at least 1 more year.

Barmore is a throw back. Big and powerful but not explosive enough to be a consistent interior pass rusher at the next level. He had 6.5 sacks and I don't see him having that kind of production against NFL Olines.

He only wins with power. That power will be more neutral against equally powerful players on the Oline. Especially when they get under him because his pad level get pretty high. 

I just don't see it with him. Feels more like some fans are talking themselves into him because of a desperate need than actually want him. 

Compared to recent Alabama prospects, he's closer to a Hand or Robinson to me than Williams, Allen or Payne. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Sure... because of recency bias. Happens every year, hence the amount of busts in round 1.

Watch the game. 

Physical tools + dominate tape down the stretch at the end of college career + dominate stats / accolades final year in school + dominant pro day (likely coming) = 2nd round pick at a premium position? As one of the youngest players in the class? We can target guys that dominated for years like Ferrell, Abram, and Arnette.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Barmore is a throw back. Big and powerful but not explosive enough to be a consistent interior pass rusher at the next level. He had 6.5 sacks and I don't see him having that kind of production against NFL Olines.

He had 8 sacks in their final 7 games, lol. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Barmore is a throw back. Big and powerful but not explosive enough to be a consistent interior pass rusher at the next level. 

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/lists/2021-nfl-draft-breaking-down-titans-dl-target-christian-barmore/

In spurts, he shows ridiculously exciting flashes of explosiveness off the line for someone his size. 

There’s no denying that Barmore’s size and lower-body explosion give him exciting versatility that could be used all along the defensive front.

Via PFF

NFL Player Comparison: Gerald McCoy

Biggest Strength: Bend

Biggest Weaknesses: Game to game consistency

+Special flexibility for a man his size. Over once he gets to the side of a lineman. 

+ Barmore's high-end games are up there with any defensive tackle we've graded.

+ He looks fairly NFL-ready.

+ Ideal build to rush the passer from interior.  Long limbs with power behind them.

+ Advanced hand usage gives him a bunch of different ways to win as pass rusher.

+ Shined on the biggest stages. 12 pressures and eight stops in the CFP.

- Tape not consistently dominant. 0 pressures vs. Tennessee and Florida in 2020.

- Little high cut to kick into nose in the NFL. Eating doubles not his game.     

- Only one season as a starter.

In other words:

We'll take Barmore at 17 with zero hesitation and Mayock will pretend he was the perfect prospect. 

...Meanwhile, on the other side of the wormhole, where the Raiders actually win, our GM accepts a trade with Jacksonville for a first (25) and 2nd (13), and winds up with Jaelan Phillips and Barmore instead. 

But we're stuck in this reality where we can't have nice things instead of being the most trigger happy, trade leery team in the Draft.