2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Hoping that small school thing will keep him under heavy radar 

Man I'm hoping, I just get the feeling that this will be the year that every team goes OT early, and we'll be left reaching for scraps. 

I've seen it far too many times before. We are horrible at keeping our interest in a position a secret. The whole damn league knows we are going for a OT and Safety high, and will maneuver around us because our front office lacks any creativity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sewell's arms are barely 33 inches. He's falling to 17. Update your mocks

Did a brief review of recent All-Pro teams, the majority of the OT's had 34+ inch arms and a couple had like 33.5" arms. But I didn't see any OT's with arms shorter than 33 inches. 

10 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

OTs with the size and athleticism of Brown are rare, he'll definitely be desired by most teams and at this point won't fall to our 3rd round pick. If we want him we'll have to take him at 48. 

Yeah I honestly think Brown will go a lot earlier than people are expecting. 

8 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Hoping that small school thing will keep him under heavy radar 

He reportedly had a bad week at the Senior Bowl so that might push him to #80. But with his testing numbers I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go in round 2.

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Are there not speedy or long guys rushing from the left side? 

Sure there are but The quarterback can see the speedy pressure and step up in the pocket(unless you’re left-handed). This is why right tackle is known as a position for run blocking. It’s also why you see if there’s a really good guard they may be able to play right tackle but there’s no way they can be able to play left tackle(see Denzelle good)

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Are we talking about the same guy? Who already retired from football years ago because of concussions? Sounds like an absolute disaster waiting to happen. 

If doctors clear him, I trust it. Especially since he hasn’t had any especially concerning surgeries like micro fracture, Achilles, etc. This isn’t a Todd gurley situation.

Him retiring because of concussions vs being advised medically to do so are not the same thing. 

30 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

Man I'm hoping, I just get the feeling that this will be the year that every team goes OT early, and we'll be left reaching for scraps. 

I've seen it far too many times before. We are horrible at keeping our interest in a position a secret. The whole damn league knows we are going for a OT and Safety high, and will maneuver around us because our front office lacks any creativity.

I think it will be the opposite. QBs and OTs will push stud defensive players they could use down the boards, but they reach for need.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If doctors clear him, I trust it. Especially since he hasn’t had any especially concerning surgeries like micro fracture, Achilles, etc. This isn’t a Todd gurley situation.

Him retiring because of concussions vs being advised medically to do so are not the same thing. 

I'd say concussions are the most serious of any injury tbh. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Sure they may have gotten better but what I'm saying is it was Gus Bradleys Idea to start a fifth round safety a fifth round corner and a 27 year old Undrafted corner  Who played in the Canadian football league. That happened today we would Burn down the facility. He does it and it leads to becoming one of the best defense of backfield of all time. 

Sure you can do the whole 12 years/ 3 winning seasons thing But the problem with that is that you have to ignore that:

1. Wins or losses have anything to do with whether or not someone can coach defense, Implement a defensive scheme that works for the players recognize defensive talent. 

2. Four of those years were as a head coach(Not a defensive coordinator), I've stated before he's not coming here to be the head coach or the assistant head coach he's coming here to be the defensive coordinator. Two completely different jobs

3. During his time in Jacksonville, They weren't really drafting defense of talent until his last year. Here are some examples:

2013:(One of the worst draft in NFL history I might add lol): The only Defensive player drafted in the first two days was Johnathan Cyprien

2014:  they drafted Blake Bortles Marquice Lee Allen Robinson and Brandon linder in the first 2 days while guys like Telvin smith were late round guys. 

2015: They draft Dante Fowler in the top five but then he tears his ACL during rookie mini camp. He was the only defense of player drafted in the first two days

In 2016 Jaguars wiser by adding Jalen Ramsey Myles Jack and Ngakoue with the first 3 picks but thats the year he gets fired. 

Go to the chargers: In 2016(The year before Bradley) They gave up the 4th most points allowed in the league.(very similar to us who were bottom 3 this past year)

Bradley gets there in 2017 and they go from 4th most points allowed to 3rd least points allowed(This was a year before Derwin James).

2018 they give up the 8th least points allowed(Bottom 10 in points allowed.) Things to consider: Joey Bosa played 6 games that season, Starting middle linebacker Denzel Perryman played nine games

In 2019 they gave up 14th(still bottom 15 in points allowed). Things to consider:  Melvin Ingram played 13 games, Derwin James played 5 games, They were playing with a an undrafted rookie starting at safety,  Starting middle linebacker Denzel Perryman played 10 games & Desmond king played 8 games

in 2020 They gave up 22nd in points allowed(The raiders would probably be a playoff team if we gave up 27th in points allowed) Things to consider: Starting middle linebacker Denzel Perryman played 6 games, Derwin James didn't play at all, Chris Harris who they brought in played nine games, Melvin Ingram played seven games, Joey Bosa played 10 games, Casey Hayward played 13 games, And Desmond king played six games before being traded to Tennessee

You have to look at all factors when looking why defense doesn't do as good as previous years 

Phenomenal post with lots of context instead of just surface level stats with a slanted agenda. Kudos 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Phenomenal post with lots of context instead of just surface level stats with a slanted agenda. Kudos 

Slanted agenda? 

We'll just look at it from a points allowed perspective. 

In Seattle his defenses ranked 25th (2009), 25th (2010), 7th (2011), 1st (2012). In the 4 seasons after he left they ranked 1st (2013), 1st (2014), 2nd (2015), 5th (2016). He was there at the beginning of the LOB but all of those guys and their defense in general improved after he left. 

In Jacksonville his defenses ranked 28th (2013), 26th (2014), 31st (2015), 25th (2016).

In Los Angeles his defenses ranked 3rd (2017), 8th (2018), 14th (2019), and 23rd (2020). 

So with the Chargers his defenses got progressively worse over his 4 year tenure to the point that they fired their coaching staff. If he's a great coach/developer of talent why did they get worse every year he was there? 

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Slanted agenda? 

We'll just look at it from a points allowed perspective. 

In Seattle his defenses ranked 25th (2009), 25th (2010), 7th (2011), 1st (2012). In the 4 seasons after he left they ranked 1st (2013), 1st (2014), 2nd (2015), 5th (2016). He was there at the beginning of the LOB but all of those guys and their defense in general improved after he left. 

In Jacksonville his defenses ranked 28th (2013), 26th (2014), 31st (2015), 25th (2016).

In Los Angeles his defenses ranked 3rd (2017), 8th (2018), 14th (2019), and 23rd (2020). 

So with the Chargers his defenses got progressively worse over his 4 year tenure to the point that they fired their coaching staff. If he's a great coach/developer of talent why did they get worse every year he was there? 

Hey man I personally am not saying your agenda is slanted, But I think the way you're looking at the statistics is questionable :

A better way to look at his time at the chargers is He took a defense That Gave up the 4th Most points in the NFL and In his four years there were ranked in the top 5 once in the top 10 twice and In the top 15 three times. He never had a bottom 10 defense regardless of circumstances during his time as Defensive coordinator(Just what we're asking him to do.)

In Seattle he had two defenses that were top 10 and one of them was the #1 defense in the entire NFL. Remember when gosh Bradley inherited the defense, it gave up the seven most points allowed. 

Dan Quinn inherited a defense that was already #1 in the NFL.Think about that

44 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'd say concussions are the most serious of any injury tbh. 

Even if we opted to disregard the actual injury incurred from concussions, I have to agree. 

Chris Borland is a good example of what can happen. Not to say everyone retires after their rookie year, but we've seen more than a few guys walk away very early citing concerns. 

With someone having already stepped away, I would have to argue that the risk of them doing so again is higher than the 50/50 you get by drafting anyone else. 

Yes, someone can be medically cleared to play. And they may never have a concussion of their own again. But I think theres a character trait in there. Not saying it's a bad one, just that it's there. What if he sees a teammate or opposing player get one? I could totally see him say "You know what, I stepped away early before because of these things. I think it's time I do so again, before that happens to me.". And it's totally understandable. 

I had a friend who did triathlons for years and his training often consisted of running on the beach. He LOVED the sport and undoubtedly still does. And he himself never got injured. But another runner stepped on a shell not long after the whole flesh-eating bacteria stuff was coming around in the Gulf of Mexico. I was a lifeguard at the time, and he came over to get patched up. Typical scrape, so we doused it in alcohol and peroxidex, slapped some neosporin on it, and wrapped it up so he could get back to his shoes without getting anything in it. 

Next time we saw him, he was sporting a prosthetic leg and crutches. You can probably imagine what happened. My friend? He still does the running and biking portions of things. Does marathon runs and such. But he will absolutely not go into untreated water anymore. Plenty do, but I can't blame him for being spooked, and it's not even something he had happen to him. 

Same goes for this, only the history of concussions IS there. It's not about being tough or weak, it just is what it is. If I'm gambling on someone I expect to be doing this 8-10 years down the line for me, I think I pass him up and take the 50/50 shot instead of the, we'll say, 75/25.