2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

@Humble_Beast doesn't watch college football by his own admission. Reads draft blogs and takes parrots their takes.

Anyone who said Jefferson was "just a slot WR" shouldn't speak. He was a fantastic player who played his role opposite Chase 

Well predraft nearly every credible scout did question Jefferson’s ability to be an outside wr.  He’s obviously very strongly proven he can be outside WR1.

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Why was Ferrell a reach then?  He was a solid base end that fit the scheme.

Its a reach because you can get him later!  You want to get the player at the lowest draft spot.

I mean the question is why is he available later. What makes him not go in the 1st?

35 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Well predraft nearly every credible scout did question Jefferson’s ability to be an outside wr.  He’s obviously very strongly proven he can be outside WR1.

I don’t remember that if you watch games you could see he wasn’t a slot guy

8 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I don’t remember that if you watch games you could see he wasn’t a slot guy

Again.... failure to read comments leads to this type of thing

Jefferson almost played exclusively in the slot at LSU in 2019, thus experts didn’t think he could play outside.

That’s all I said..... those are facts. He proved he’s an outside WR in the NFL, but that doesn’t chance what was thought of him in the draft process.

so exactly what lsu games did you watch where you saw something that made you think he could be a outside WR?  Cuz he had 5 snaps on the outside in 2019.  5!  Did you see something amazing in those 5 snaps that made you believe he could?  If so I’d like to know what games they were in and what happened.

Edited by jimkelly02

24 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I said “later in the first”.... or I thought that’s what I said 

meaning I wouldn’t take him at 17 I’d trade down to 25-32

Right, i don't know why i assumed you had him outside of the 1st. "Big reach" probably. Anyway, i'll ask my question differently. What are the reasons you think he'd be a big reach? I have seen 1 highlights and i'm asking for your feedback.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Why was Ferrell a reach then?  He was a solid base end that fit the scheme.

Its a reach because you can get him later!  You want to get the player at the lowest draft spot.

Yeah, most analysts had Ferrell ranked and mocked in the 20-30 range. In college he never showed the bend, power, or explosiveness like you'd expect to see from a guy that's taken with a top 5 pick. An edge taken that high should have the potential to be a 10+ sack per year type player. Ferrell also didn't work out at the combine or his pro day so we never got to see athletic testing numbers for him. If he did, he probably would've tested out pretty averagely and we honestly probably wouldn't have drafted him. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Anyone who said Jefferson was "just a slot WR" shouldn't speak. He was a fantastic player who played his role opposite Chase 

The reason analysts said that was because almost all of his production in his final season at LSU came when he was lined up in the slot. 

According to PFF

Snaps played in the slot: 870/937 (93%)

Catches from the slot: 109/111 (98%)

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Exactly, some people think they know everything in hindsight... smh... there’s a reason why Jefferson was the 5th wideout drafted, questions about playing outside

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Exactly, some people think they know everything in hindsight... smh... there’s a reason why Jefferson was the 5th wideout drafted, questions about playing outside

No hindsight here. The dumbest "analysis" of a dominate WR is where they took snaps in a college offense.

Jefferson was a smooth route running with great hands and great through contact. 

The reason he was the 5th WR taken was the same reason Ruggs with the first WR taken. Stacked class, depended on who you liked. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, most analysts had Ferrell ranked and mocked in the 20-30 range. In college he never showed the bend, power, or explosiveness like you'd expect to see from a guy that's taken with a top 5 pick. An edge taken that high should have the potential to be a 10+ sack per year type player. Ferrell also didn't work out at the combine or his pro day so we never got to see athletic testing numbers for him. If he did, he probably would've tested out pretty averagely and we honestly probably wouldn't have drafted him. 

I ranked Ferrell 3rd on his own d-line.  I would not have been upset if we took him with our second pick in the first but not at 4.  I agree that if he would have done all aspects of the combine he would have been a fringe 1st rounder.  You could tell he just did not have the athleticism to come in and make an impact right away.  He can get better but by the time he would come close to justify being a top ten pick it will be time for him to get paid.  D grade or worse on the pick no matter how you slice it.

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Again.... failure to read comments leads to this type of thing

Jefferson almost played exclusively in the slot at LSU in 2019, thus experts didn’t think he could play outside.

That’s all I said..... those are facts. He proved he’s an outside WR in the NFL, but that doesn’t chance what was thought of him in the draft process.

so exactly what lsu games did you watch where you saw something that made you think he could be a outside WR?  Cuz he had 5 snaps on the outside in 2019.  5!  Did you see something amazing in those 5 snaps that made you believe he could?  If so I’d like to know what games they were in and what happened.

Not saying I don’t believe you but which “credible scouts” said he was a slot wr?

6 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Right, i don't know why i assumed you had him outside of the 1st. "Big reach" probably. Anyway, i'll ask my question differently. What are the reasons you think he'd be a big reach? I have seen 1 highlights and i'm asking for your feedback.

I have him going as high as a top 25 pick... give or take a spot of two.

he’s a very good FS... would fit our scheme.... the #1 S prospect....

but I I’m not blown away by him.... I just think the highest he should go is top 25.... there’s significantly better prospects on the board at 17.  It’s be the classic Mayock move to just take Him At 17.  No one else is taking him before 25 IMO so If you want him trade down.