2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I’m sorry but all these guys look good on these throws when you have shorts and Tshirt on. Heck I remember Kyle Boller during his pro day tearing it up. Then he got on his knees at the 50 yard line and threw it through the FG post. 

But he's also made those throws in game, that's why he's a top tier QB prospect. 

1 minute ago, xenajets said:

I will be happy if we draft Zach Wilson because I think he’s a better prospect than Mark Sanchez. As if offered 2x AFCCG’s in the next two years I’d snap your hand off. We don’t have the overall talent that 2009 team had but tahrs not a reason to potentially draft a franchise qb. 

You’ve already explained your theory. I disagree with you. You can’t predict the future therefore we have no way of knowing who’s right. The only fact is Wilson would be under a cheap deal (for a Franchise qb) for 5yrs. If Sam balls out this year like you said why the **** would he take an less than market value. He’d take the most money offered just like everyone else. 

Im not saying this wr group is special. I’m just commenting that it’s improved from last year which it is. There’s no question of that. Is it as good as it could of been. Hell no. Everyone here will know I was stressed out during the FA period. I still don’t think we’ve done enough. But we have got more weapons and better quality than last year. That’s just a fact. 

The question was would you be happy is zach was a repeat of Sanchez, not if our team had the same level of success. If Wilson is a repeat of Sanchez without the d and running game around him we would have a bad qb and no playoffs. You suggest sanchez as a comp, I'm just pointing out how bad of a comp that is. 

Darnold is only getting huge money if he absolutely balls out. If that happens, you have your franchise qb so why would you complain about paying him? If he has just an ok year he is getting a much much more team friendly deal. And if he sucks we have a high pick to draft the new guy on a rookie contract, but with an established offense in place to protect him.

And yes, I will concede that the wr group is a little better than last years at this point. But not by some huge amount. Davis is an upgrade over Perriman and hopefully cole prevents smith from seeing the field.

5 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Clarify this take for me.

Last season Joe had a 3rd year, highly drafted QB. One of the youngest in the league. Coming off a solid second half of the previous season. Yet provided that QB with one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Provided that QB with a black hole at WR TE and RB.

But now he suddenly knows he is going to be defined by how he sets up the QB? So did he just not care last offseason?

Did it never cross his mind that maybe he should provide a young talented QB with weapons and protection? How much better would we have looked with a guy like Morse at center instead of in Buffalo helping Allen succeed? He learned though and went out and signed some quality veteran starting caliber OL this year, right? Oh....

Why did he not care about developing a franchise QB last year but now suddenly does? And how did he show that he learned from last year when reports are that he didn't even reach out to the top tier available offensive lineman? 

What could have crossed his mind was that the coaching staff would or could do nothing to help any QB.

Thus year there is no worry about future cap hits. I know people like to ignore that fact, but it is highly probable. Could be that Chrissy had a say in it. Who knows.

Alis why do you blame JD for Mac not getting Morse?  Morse went first to Buffalo with us up next. He never left Buffalo and Mac settled for whatever the guys name was.

Why pay for an average vet OG when this draft is loaded with them?  Or are we supposed to build through the FA since it has worked so well for us?

There was only one top tier iOL he went to a SB team for $50M. Center was not an option because he believes in McGovern.  Or should we just ditch McGovern even though he played next to two crappy OG’s with little offseason and 4 new OL. McGovern did play a bit better in the second half. Put a quality OG or 2 next to him and we will be good. You know kind of like the Sam excuse you used. Played better the second half but had crap next to him. Give him another year. Sam has had three years and is broken. Maybe he can be fixed but not at the $ to find out.

So to clarify, Sam is broke and will need to get paid next year. Just get a new QB and move on. Regardless of the QB, JD needs the line to play well. I thought I made that point fairly apparent in my post.

I saw one post earlier that SF went no higher that #3 to find a deal.  Implies that they knew Jets were sticking to their spot until Wilson's pro day was complete to see which direction Jets might go.  When Wilson's pro day was over .... 2 major trades involving "hauls" were completed .... not over the next 5 weeks prior to draft .... but BAM as soon as Jets evaluated Wilson.  Pretty clear cut that Jets are drafting Wilson.  Desires for trade for #2 for the "big haul" should finally be put to rest.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Like tag and trade would happen to qb. ha.

We traded down from #2, kept Darnold and hoped for him to emerge so we could tag and trade him?  That definitely is worse than immediate rookie clock contract.

I'm not arguing that if he emerged he should be tagged and traded. I'm merely presenting that as an option since it was suggested that Joe wouldn't want to sign him if he did emerge because Joe doesn't spend money. I'd pay him if he broke out because it means we have our guy.

Just now, drew39k said:

I'm not arguing that if he emerged he should be tagged and traded. I'm merely presenting that as an option since it was suggested that Joe wouldn't want to sign him if he did emerge because Joe doesn't spend money. I'd pay him if he broke out because it means we have our guy.

I would believe that if JD paid Robby Anderson.

2 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I saw one post earlier that SF went no higher that #3 to find a deal.  Implies that they knew Jets were sticking to their spot until Wilson's pro day was complete to see which direction Jets might go.  When Wilson's pro day was over .... 2 major trades involving "hauls" were completed .... not over the next 5 weeks prior to draft .... but BAM as soon as Jets evaluated Wilson.  Pretty clear cut that Jets are drafting Wilson.  Desires for trade for #2 for the "big haul" should finally be put to rest.

Two trades happened right before Wilson stepped into passing drill. Give or Take.

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Why do you hate Zach.

I don’t hate him. I would have just preferred the haul the Dolphins got and built the team first. Adding Corey Davis and a rookie to the offensive line doesn’t move the needle for me. We were putrid on offense, couldn’t run the ball, couldn’t protect the QB, and WRs weren’t getting open. I’m hoping a lot of it was Gase and the system just being so bad. I mean Douglas said he was going to help our QB, he made a pretty lame attempt. Wilson played behind the second best offensive line in college football, playing against bad defenses (and I know, you can make a hundred arguments either way about QB X,Y,Z) How will he perform behind one of the worst lines in the league against NFL DBs?

I just preferred to trade back and take the other approach. Now I will learn to love Zach. Honestly, unless we are getting a 2, I prefer to throw Sam to the wolves again and let Wilson take over. Not to mention if he’s as good as he’s being hyped to be, he should have no problem beating Sam (or Alex Smith, whoever) in camp.

I find it crazy that some guys on here think it is stupid to keep Sam because if he does great we have to give him a long term deal. What is wrong with that? This means you have your QB who can work in the system. That is the #1 goal. You have your franchise QB and you still have money after signing Sam long term. 

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

I find it crazy that some guys on here think it is stupid to keep Sam because if he does great we have to give him a long term deal. What is wrong with that? This means you have your QB who can work in the system. That is the #1 goal. You have your franchise QB and you still have money after signing Sam long term. 

I don't care for other fans but for me, I have tried to identity what JD would do for Jets.

35 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Yup. Prodays are useless. Players rehearse all the plays hundreds of times and only use the ones they can absolutely nail. There is no defense on the field, so for example, Wilson drifts back to his left and bomb it down the field he isn't worrying about where the cb/safety are. Instead he just has to throw it to an area of the first and let the wr that he has practices that specific route with track it and run under it. Sure it shows that he has the ability to throw the ball far, but game tape tells you that and so much more.

And game tape did.

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

The question was would you be happy is zach was a repeat of Sanchez, not if our team had the same level of success. If Wilson is a repeat of Sanchez without the d and running game around him we would have a bad qb and no playoffs. You suggest sanchez as a comp, I'm just pointing out how bad of a comp that is. 

Darnold is only getting huge money if he absolutely balls out. If that happens, you have your franchise qb so why would you complain about paying him? If he has just an ok year he is getting a much much more team friendly deal. And if he sucks we have a high pick to draft the new guy on a rookie contract, but with an established offense in place to protect him.

And yes, I will concede that the wr group is a little better than last years at this point. But not by some huge amount. Davis is an upgrade over Perriman and hopefully cole prevents smith from seeing the field.

Oh right...erm no I’d want more than what we got from Mark. Mark was a great, great kid. Just an infectious personality and really wanted to be the franchise qb. Unfortunately it just wasn’t enough for him. If you look back that qb class was a poor one...it’s nothing like this class. So I have much higher expectations from Wilson because he’s without doing a better prospect. He’s a much better passer, reads defenses better, throws with anticipation and is an incredible athlete. I don’t think I mentioned Sanchez so not sure why he was brought up. 

Sam could put up good numbers next year but fall within the lines of system qb and franchise qb. But he would be 24 and without doubt get a big time deal from someone. So we’d have a middle of the road qb we’d be paying big money too. In an ideal world Sam became a top 10 qb then great but that’s more unlikely than Wilson becoming top 10 in the next 5 years. 

Yeah Davis is a much better receiver than Perriman imo. Cole is better than...well anyone else we had last year! Hogan?!? JD dropped the ball last offseason and I’m with you on this he’s not done enough (this year) in FA to make me feel 100% confident we will have the pieces in place for a rookie qb.

However when all the debates are being questioned I still feel like going qb at #2 is the way to go. 

8 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

But he's also made those throws in game, that's why he's a top tier QB prospect. 

Did you see Sam Darnold in his last college game. On his big stage. He looked better than Wilson with a crowd, pressure, and a better D that Wilson ever went against.