2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

Get ready for your new QB. Jets are going QB 2nd overall and its most likely Wilson.  Anyone who watched the film sees a stud in Wilson, his arm talent is elite. He has a quick release and can make wild throws off angle. He reminded me of Aaron Rodgers and that is his idol. 

Jets are going to reset the clock with a rookie QB contract , have loads of money to spend next off season and 2 first next draft and continue to build a contender. 

Hes a good fit for this scheme.

13 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I’d like to think he’d make improvements. I’m shocked we could cut GVR and Lewis for very little dead cap and not use that money for a Trai Turner. Unless we have big plans to use some high picks on interior olineman we will be in the same boat as last year. 

Is Turner still out there?  I wonder why?

7 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I saw one post earlier that SF went no higher that #3 to find a deal.  Implies that they knew Jets were sticking to their spot until Wilson's pro day was complete to see which direction Jets might go.  When Wilson's pro day was over .... 2 major trades involving "hauls" were completed .... not over the next 5 weeks prior to draft .... but BAM as soon as Jets evaluated Wilson.  Pretty clear cut that Jets are drafting Wilson.  Desires for trade for #2 for the "big haul" should finally be put to rest.

Yeah I think that was pure bollocks. Unless SF have some mind reader in their ranks what really happened was they called us to move up to #2 and we rejected any advancement that they made. How else would they know!?!

Also the first trade happened moments before Wilson’s proday and the second within the first five mins I believe. 

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I would believe that if JD paid Robby Anderson.

I don't see the correlation. Robby didn't have a breakout year in his final season with the Jets. His best season was two years prior to that. Instead, in his final year he disappeared for games and begged for probowl votes. He only had 750 yds and like 5 tds. He was also poor at winning 50/50 balls. I would have preferred to keep him considering what he signed for, but this wasn't a breakout situation at all.

1 minute ago, xenajets said:

Yeah I think that was pure bollocks. Unless SF have some mind reader in their ranks what really happened was they called us to move up to #2 and we rejected any advancement that they made. How else would they know!?!

Also the first trade happened moments before Wilson’s proday and the second within the first five mins I believe. 

All attenders were there in the morning. Plenty time of getting idea from Jets.

Just now, xrade said:

Is Turner still out there?  I wonder why?

Not sure. 27 years old. Made 5 straight probowls prior to last year. Had injury concerns last year which meant he only played 9 games (of which apparently he played injured). Seems like a no brainier to me. Would easily come to use for the price Lewis currently has. 

2 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I don't see the correlation. Robby didn't have a breakout year in his final season with the Jets. His best season was two years prior to that. Instead, in his final year he disappeared for games and begged for probowl votes. He only had 750 yds and like 5 tds. He was also poor at winning 50/50 balls. I would have preferred to keep him considering what he signed for, but this wasn't a breakout situation at all.

JD admitted he should of resigned Robby. After a covid hit offseason it was a terrible decision to let him leave and sign Perriman. Not like the difference in contracts was massively more and we had **** loads of money. 

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

And game tape did.

Sure does. You do realize that I'm not arguing that Wilson is a bad prospect right? Just that he is a prospect. Not a sure thing bonafide instant franchise qb. Just like Sam was. Just like QBs will be in next year's draft. There are quality QB prospects available virtually every year.

19 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Sure does. You do realize that I'm not arguing that Wilson is a bad prospect right? Just that he is a prospect. Not a sure thing bonafide instant franchise qb. Just like Sam was. Just like QBs will be in next year's draft. There are quality QB prospects available virtually every year.

Sounds like your not a Wilson fan but I understand your position that we should build then get a QB. That is fair. I have also always stated build from the inside starting with the trenches. But here’s the thing, we have a unique opportunity to do both in the same year. I firmly believe we need two OG’s on the line.  Everything else is OK for now. I also firmly believe we will get one good OG on day 1 or early day 2. Not completely ideal but still OK for now. OG’s typically do not have the steep learning curve of other positions. I also believe any QB we draft will not start day 1. This will give him time to learn and the OL and the offense as a whole time to work out the kinks and make it serviceable.

As for Sam, yes he was put in a bad situation that was never improved upon in 3 years. Blame whomever you want but that is the deal. Can he look better on our team or another? I believe so. I think the kid has skills. But he has also developed bad habits that need to be corrected. One year may not be enough. His ideal spot would be for a team like Pitt where he can be coaches for a year and learn behind Ben. Think of him as a draft prospect. Would you draft him in the first?  I should hope not. Even if he plays better for us, can we truly trust that he has overcome his poor play and pay him $25M plus?  Personally, I would need to see two years of progress before doling out that kind of $. We don’t have 2 years.

Edited by xrade

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Oh believe me, I've been watching for more than a decade. We atleast had some promise early with sanchez ryan and company. I hated the Favre year but loved the Penny and Testeverde times. Foley was my intro to Jets fandom. 

Also to be clear, I do not feel like "any qb we draft will fail" I feel like any qb we draft "this year" will fail, because we haven't put the support structure in place and this team has proven to be far more successful when a new qb has support around him(pennington and sanchez seasons)

So if that’s the case, if we had the 1st pick you’d pass on Trevor Lawrence too and trade down ?

5 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

So if that’s the case, if we had the 1st pick you’d pass on Trevor Lawrence too and trade down ?

I would have less of an issue considering the calibur of player Lawrence is, but yes, if the opportunity were there to trade the right stop Lawrence for 4 first round picks I'd do it.

8 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I would have less of an issue considering the calibur of player Lawrence is, but yes, if the opportunity were there to trade the right stop Lawrence for 4 first round picks I'd do it.

No disrespect but that's absolutely mind boggling to me. Trevor Lawrence is the best prospect since Luck. I don't care if your entire team is high school varsity level you take Lawrence. 

Edited by mattmanz91

3 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Fair enough, I respect that. Guess we can agree to disagree on this one. Hopefully either way, it’s the right choice and it’ll be awhile before we pick this high again. 

15 minutes ago, xrade said:

Sounds like your not a Wilson fan but I understand your position that we should build then get a QB. That is fair. I have also always stated build from the inside starting with the trenches. But here’s the thing, we have a unique opportunity to do both in the same year. I firmly believe we need two OG’s on the line.  Everything else is OK for now. I also firmly believe we will get one good OG on day 1 or early day 2. Not completely ideal but still OK for now. OG’s typically do not have the steep learning curve of other positions. I also believe any QB we draft will not start day 1. This will give him time to learn and the OL and the offense as a whole time to work out the kinks and make it serviceable.

As for Sam, yes he was put in a bad situation that was never improved upon in 3 years. Blame whomever you want but that is the deal. Can he look better on our team or another? I believe so. I think the kid has skills. But he has also developed bad habits that need to be corrected. One year may not be enough. His ideal spot would be for a team like Pitt where he can be coaches for a year and learn behind Ben. Think of him as a draft prospect. Would you draft him in the first?  I should hope not. Even if he plays better for us, can we truly trust that he has overcome his poor play and pay him $25M plus?  Personally, I would need to see two years of progress before doling out that kind of $. We don’t have 2 years.

It's not that I am or am not a fan of Wilson. He is a QB prospect. They come out every year. Where was Wilson ranked this time last year? Middle rounds maybe, but now he is hyped up to some saying he should be selected OVER Lawrence. I can only hope that if we draft Wilson we make him sit the entire year.... But Alex Smith is the only capable vet left and he sure isn't going to sign on to be the guy infront of Wilson.

As for whether Darnold is worth drafting in the first round. I'd say he is. Put him in a prodays right now and he'd light it up. Put his highlight tapes up and look at all the playmaking he is capable of. Muck like people are doing with these draft  prospects you would have to take into account the level of talent he was playing with vs the level of talent he was playing against. I he has flashes enough that if I had a good coaching staff, id feel like the talent is there to be molded. And the kid is still super young. Plus hypothetically speaking. If you are drafting him you get that magical rookie contract that people keep bringing up.