Who's the strongest power RB of all time?

y*so*blu

One of my favorite things about football is watching great running backs go to work. While quick "finesse" backs like Warrick Dunn are always fun to watch, to me there's nothing like seeing a sturdy north-south runner just explode out of the backfield and smash right through defenders. Who, in your opinion, are some of the strongest power RBs to ever play the game?

17 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

One of my favorite things about football is watching great running backs go to work. While quick "finesse" backs like Warrick Dunn are always fun to watch, to me there's nothing like seeing a sturdy north-south runner just explode out of the backfield and smash right through defenders. Who, in your opinion, are some of the strongest power RBs to ever play the game?

Jerome Bettis would have to be on any top five power back list. One of his many memorable runs was against the Bills on MNF, it was like the Buffalo defense turned into a youth football unit. 

Jim Brown looked like a man playing against boys.  I dont know if he was the strongest ever, but he was ahead of his time and Ive never seen another back look like he did vs NFL defenders.

Bo Jackson is definitely up near the top.   Dude was so strong and ran with such a low center of gravity, it was truly special.

In more recent times....guys like Steven Jackson, MJD, Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch come to mind....but none of them are near Bo IMO, and none of them had the same disparity vs competition as JB did against his.     

For me, it comes down to Bo and Brown.    There have been some other great power backs, but those two were special.  None of those other backs I mentioned were overly special....just good/very good players who happened to be power backs.  

For me, it has to be either Christian Okoye or Earl Campbell. Those two were the definition of power running, to me. And they unfortunately had the short careers that came with it.

Jim Brown I think does have kind of a weird place in this discussion. I wouldn't call him a power back, so if you just want power backs I wouldn't put him there. He was more an all-around great kind of runner, not just a power back. But he may well be the strongest RB of all-time relative to those tackling him. But a lot of that was Brown just being weirdly ahead of his time. He was a RB running against LBs that were smaller than him, behind an OL that was roughly the same size as him. He was bigger than all the starting LBs on his own team. The era and context either makes him hands down the strongest, or it discredits him, depending on how you want to look at it, I suppose.

10 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Earl Campbell. He was known as The Human Wrecking Ball for a reason. He has many of the most amazing runs in league history.

Still my favorite run of all-time. He embarrasses nearly the whole D. His jersey gets torn off before he goes down

All other answers are wrong.

Archived