2020 ROT

DreamKid

32 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

What's the story with Powers? I didn't think he played bad against the Steelers in week 17. Is Fluker really the better player? Insight would be loved.

We just saw very little of him. We heard even less of him. 

The reasons behind that, we can only guess. He seemed to play well against the Steelers, but also received a limited amount of snaps. He made a position switch from left to right guard, so we had someone to take over from Yanda. Combined with a minor injury, the position change might be the reason we never saw much of him. Now, we decided to add Bredeson and Phillips in the draft and then got Fluker in free agency. The latter might be something our front office hadn't calculated with, and had Larry Warford been cut earlier, he might have been a player we would have pursued.

All in all, I don't think we should put too much into Powers situation. He was a 4th round pick who probably had to make a transition to the pros, so our coaching staff wasn't ready to go all in on Powers being Yandas heir.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danand said:

We just saw very little of him. We heard even less of him. 

The reasons behind that, we can only guess. He seemed to play well against the Steelers, but also received a limited amount of snaps. He made a position switch from left to right guard, so we had someone to take over from Yanda. Combined with a minor injury, the position change might be the reason we never saw much of him. Now, we decided to add Bredeson and Phillips in the draft and then got Fluker in free agency. The latter might be something our front office hadn't calculated with, and had Larry Warford been cut earlier, he might have been a player we would have pursued.

All in all, I don't think we should put too much into Powers situation. He was a 4th round pick who probably had to make a transition to the pros, so our coaching staff wasn't ready to go all in on Powers being Yandas heir.

Agreed, I think Fluker was an unexpected bit of good fortune (particularly on that contract). He's a great size/shape and play style fit for that RG position post-Yanda. 

36 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Agreed, I think Fluker was an unexpected bit of good fortune (particularly on that contract). He's a great size/shape and play style fit for that RG position post-Yanda. 

One thing is the player, but another thing is the contract. Even though he hasn't been a world beater, getting Fluker for a close to minimum in a league that is starving for offensive line talent is something.

• Like 2

Yeah. With Skura looking like he may be ready for the season, you can run every position back from last year the exact same except the Yanda hole. That bodes very well for cohesion in an offseason of limited prep time.

You would HAVE to think that feasibly, one of Fluker/Powers/Bredeson/Phillips will step in and provide at least a league average replacement for Yanda at RG. I think the front office did a relatively nice job setting us up for post-Yanda RG play the past two offseasons.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

That’s plyometric to build explosiveness. He’s going to be undressing fools on the field.

Yup, same exact training being run at MMA gyms here in California. I know some of the really big boys(280-300+) shy away from it, afraid of too much impact for the knees, but man can it add an element to your athleticism. 

10 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Hollywood posting more videos of very hard work. 

This guys going to be insanely good, he never stops working! 

This is just a general thing and not directly related to this post. I just see it a lot on this board and on twitter, but showing stuff/workouts on instagram, snapchat, facebook, tiktok etc. isn't evidence of how hard some athletes are working compared to others who doesn't show it on a social media platform.

Regarding Marquise Brown, I think we finally got our wide receiver here. The single caveat is his frame, and we (I) have to be comfortable with that, but I think that is the only thing we have to be concerned about (depending on how concerned some of us are of his relationship with AB).

I buy the training staffs comments regarding Brown playing at only 70-80% percent last year. He just didn't seem as fast as he did in college, but he had so much going for him still at that playing speed and I am excited to see what he can do this year.

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yup, same exact training being run at MMA gyms here in California. I know some of the really big boys(280-300+) shy away from it, afraid of too much impact for the knees, but man can it add an element to your athleticism. 

I always had drill sergeants (or something similar in Denmark) as coaches in handball. Those guys had us running in sand, up hills and running stairs around the indoor stadium with variations like this. Running stairs has always been the worst for some reason and when I switched to football, coaches "ignored" that the heavier guys climbed those stairs slower than what they where capable of

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I saw Mark Andrews state he was in the best shape of his life, and this definitely confirms it. He's going to be a nightmare for defenses in 2020. Remember to lock him up in Fantasy. 

I’ll definitely be strongly considering him, but I think the key fantasy addition is Hollywood. I think he’s an obvious under the radar candidate. I prefer auction drafts and I wouldn’t be shocked if I can buy him for $1 after everyone has locked up their dollars on the other stud options.