Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That's what I'm saying. Watson was an absolute killer at Clemson. The hell did I miss watching him that the experts hated? He had some knee issues and those already popped up in the NFL once, but he's going to be a top 10 QB for years. He had the highest floor of any QB in that draft, imo. 

It literally would be like if the Dolphins traded up to #1 and took Jordan Love haha, Burrow won the Heisman and national championship but Love is accurate or some dumb crap.....smh

(Not even exaggerating that much, Mitch was #2 overall)

I think there’s an obvious middle ground where we recognize that draft analysts are employed to entertain and GMs are employed to build successful football teams and the decisions of GMs about prospects are ultimately way more important (and therefore subject to more intense scrutiny) than the opinions of analysts.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I think there’s an obvious middle ground where we recognize that draft analysts are employed to entertain and GMs are employed to build successful football teams and the decisions of GMs about prospects are ultimately way more important (and therefore subject to more intense scrutiny) than the opinions of analysts.

Hell yeah, Mel Kiper is just out there letting his freak flag fly, Im cool with that......Ryan Pace just totally lost his mind and bet $30 million that Mitchell Trubisky would some how be better than Deshaun Watson hahaha.....honestly you have to admire that kind of crazy.......Im putting 2 mil on the Sacramento Kings next year....who cares

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

That's what I'm saying. Watson was an absolute killer at Clemson. The hell did I miss watching him that the experts hated? He had some knee issues and those already popped up in the NFL once, but he's going to be a top 10 QB for years. He had the highest floor of any QB in that draft, imo. 

Again I was a Watson guy, but there were plenty of reasons to like Mitch better, not the least of which was better physical tools.  To be quite frank in terms of the physical tools, Mitch was #1, and Kizer was #2.  Yeah Mahomes had the best arm, but Mitch had a + arm, and way more athleticism.  Watson had the weakest arm BY FAR of the top 4, is not nearly as athletic as people will try to make him out to be.  And saying he had the highest floor is revisionist at its finest.  The highest floor was widely considered to be Nate Peterman.  Let that sink in for a while.  

The bottom line is the "experts," the coaches, the GMs all might as well throw darts at a board when it comes to drafting QBs.  It's the toughest position in sports to evaluate.  You have physical traits guys like Jeff George, Jamarcus Russell, and Ryan Leaf who fail.  You have smart accurate guys like Joey Harrington, and Josh Rosen who fail.  You have mechanical marvels like Kyle Boller and Todd Marinovich who fail.  While you have an argument between a 3rd round pick and a 6th round pick as the greatest of all time.  Philip Rivers had the worst looking mechanics I have ever seen.  It was like Barkleys golf swing.  QB is an absolute crap shoot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement for this approach. Cutler never lived up to expectations largely because of his personality, something that would have been more obvious if the Broncos had interviewed him.

Wasnt meant to be an endorsement, just to point out GMs can be weird and do weird things.  Shanahan was so worried about somebody getting Cutler ahead of him that he hid his interest (btw, its not even debatable that Cutty was the best QB from that class)

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

This is all an example of over analysis

Im just sitting here chilling, thinking about how Pace watched Watsons college career, then watched Mitchs career.....and bet like millions of dollars of someone elses money, that Mitch would be better than Watson haha.......like.....Pace is a wild man.....hilarious......this topic almost makes me think sports really are stupid and I should listen to my girlfriend.

Like legit, are we all stupid??  Hahaha.....Our GM and all these weirdos you all just named off, literally watched those college games and thought Mitch would be better?? I kind of think I hate sports now.

About to get real into Vanderpump Rules

^^This is a perfect example of the type of fans I was talking about. SMH.

30 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

^^This is a perfect example of the type of fans I was talking about. SMH.

Of how ridiculous it was that we randomly took a way less decorated player over a national champion and Heisman trophy winner??? Youre right....Im a bad fan :$

40 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Of how ridiculous it was that we randomly took a way less decorated player over a national champion and Heisman trophy winner??? Youre right....Im a bad fan :$

Those credentials don't really mean a ton to the pro game.

ECqWkRiXUAAklRm.jpg

web1_AP20060487109017.jpg

LeinartHeisman2005.jpg

1196527720.jpg.0.jpg

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with criticizing a GM for making a bad decision, especially if you were pulling for Watson or Mahomes to be drafted instead at the time.

I agree, but that's the problem though. Some of these people that are criticizing Pace now are the same ones who were happy with the pick at the time. Even if they didn't necessarily agree with what Pace gave up for Mitch, they were still excited about the player. But now, 3 years later, they are acting like it they knew it was a bad idea all along. 

If a person felt like Mitch was going to bust and Watson and/or Mahomes were going to blow up and they were upset at the time of the draft, then they have every right to be pissed at Pace. That's called keeping the same energy.

But if they were okay with it at the time and now they're complaining about when it doesn't work out in hindsight....then hell no. That's weak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Those credentials don't really mean a ton to the pro game.

ECqWkRiXUAAklRm.jpg

web1_AP20060487109017.jpg

LeinartHeisman2005.jpg

1196527720.jpg.0.jpg

I l don't think that means you should take nonsense either though haha.....like all those guys were the right picks except Tebow.....some guys miss....that doesn't mean you just lose your mind and start taking whoever haha

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I l don't think that means you should take nonsense either though haha.....like all those guys were the right picks except Tebow.....some guys miss....that doesn't mean you just lose your mind and start taking whoever haha

Yeah, no crap. Can you believe all the nonsense that was taken before this guy? How stupid.

tom-brady-combine-2000.jpg

7 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

It literally would be like if the Dolphins traded up to #1 and took Jordan Love haha, Burrow won the Heisman and national championship but Love is accurate or some dumb crap.....smh

(Not even exaggerating that much, Mitch was #2 overall)

Not the same comparison because Burrow was actually the clear cut #1 guy in this past year's class according ti scouts and draftniks.

In 2017 you had differing opinions from all over on who the top QB prospect was.

Like I said before I liked Watson the most out of all 3 but if it was as clear cut as you're suggesting then why'd he last all the way until pick 14?

Surely the Bears weren't the only ones who were off on their evaluation.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I agree, but that's the problem though. Some of these people that are criticizing Pace now are the same ones who were happy with the pick at the time. Even if they didn't necessarily agree with what Pace gave up for Mitch, they were still excited about the player. But now, 3 years later, they are acting like it they knew it was a bad idea all along. 

If a person felt like Mitch was going to bust and Watson and/or Mahomes were going to blow up and they were upset at the time of the draft, then they have every right to be pissed at Pace. That's called keeping the same energy.

But if they were okay with it at the time and now they're complaining about when it doesn't work out in hindsight....then hell no. That's weak.

Well put. I didn't mind the Trubisky pick at all at the time even if he wasn't my top choice. What's the use in complaining about it now though?

12 hours ago, CBears019 said:

As for why Watson would lie - who knows?  Maybe he's bitter?  He was the reigning national champion QB and ended up going third (for QBs) behind a one-year starter from North Carolina and a "system" QB from Texas Tech who at one point was talked about as a third round pick.  He can't rub anything in the KC's face because, well...Mahomes.  Bears become an easy target.  

This certainly wouldn't be the first time an athlete has forgotten that something was said or posted online only for it to come back an leave egg on their face.

He's probably just bitter that his idiot HC/GM traded away his best offensive weapon and one of the top WRs in the game for peanuts.

Other than that I don't get why he'd be bitter. Not like he won't get paid big on his next contraxt to make up for being drafted 10 slots after where he could been taken in Mitch's spot.

Other than going to KC it probably played out best for Watson by going where he did.