Andy Dalton now a Cowboy

5x10

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Not sure if this was sarcasm or not, but EPA is Expected Points Added. Its an advanced analytic that measures how many points can be directly attributed to that players individual play. So theyre saying over 4 years Dalton added 23 points. He must of had a lot of negative plays and his teammates carried him. Dak added 398 points. Likely because for the most part Dak didnt have a lot of negative plays. 

PFR has the same idea called Approximate Value. How much does a player contribute to winning. Dak is the only player drafted in the last 4 years to be at a 60. For reference Wentz is 45. Brady is 285 (career). 

First part is sarcasm, I'm imitating a r/NFL'er or random Twitter user. I deleted Facebook a while ago, can only imagine the Dak v. Dalton discourse in that ****hole 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I asked this last season when every pundit had us an 8-8 team but us fans were predicting 13 wins and a superbowl appearance:

Is there a chance we are severely overrating the talent on this team? We know our pass defence is suspect and our special teams were awful.

Depends on which part of the roster you are speaking of man.

The top part of this roster is upper echelon of the league. Cooper and Dak have their quirks but many teams lacking a top receiver or quality qb would love them. Zeke is Zeke. The line isn't 2014 amazing but upper tier. The defense has its stars too, in Lawrence, Lve, even Smith. But when you dig below those top guys this roster is full of subpar, overpaid mediocrity (at best) and bottom dollar scrubs.

Today's nfl is about depth. You can schematically remove top offensive talents by rolling zones, stacking sides or the box, or overloading protections. You can schematically isolate top defensive talent by double blocking, sliding protections, or running route combinations that take the play away from those guys. It then becomes those middle tier guys jobs to step up and be the star that game. We have seen it sometimes, with Gallup, Heath, etc. But not enough. Those middle tier guys and bottom roster guys have to be a factor. They have to matter. Just because we as team fans know their names does not mean they are worth a damn. If you look at the teams that make long playoff runs, they have nobodies that step up in big moments. Their stars come through for sure, but guys like CJ Anderson, Sammy Watkins, Mostert, for example, were flakes who have had poor or underperformed careers but played big roles in their teams playoff runs. Philly had a backup OT at LT kicking butt all season the year they did it, with a backup QB, and a slew of linebackers and defensive backs who were late round selections or cheap pickups who complimented their defensive unit enough to beat up team after team on their way to a title. New England has been known for cheap finds playing big roles and moving on from them quickly. These are just examples man.

Basically, I'm with you. Mostly. Top of the roster is upper tier. The rest? Really brings down the quality of the whole roster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Depends on which part of the roster you are speaking of man.

The top part of this roster is upper echelon of the league. Cooper and Dak have their quirks but many teams lacking a top receiver or quality qb would love them. Zeke is Zeke. The line isn't 2014 amazing but upper tier. The defense has its stars too, in Lawrence, Lve, even Smith. But when you dig below those top guys this roster is full of subpar, overpaid mediocrity (at best) and bottom dollar scrubs.

Today's nfl is about depth. You can schematically remove top offensive talents by rolling zones, stacking sides or the box, or overloading protections. You can schematically isolate top defensive talent by double blocking, sliding protections, or running route combinations that take the play away from those guys. It then becomes those middle tier guys jobs to step up and be the star that game. We have seen it sometimes, with Gallup, Heath, etc. But not enough. Those middle tier guys and bottom roster guys have to be a factor. They have to matter. Just because we as team fans know their names does not mean they are worth a damn. If you look at the teams that make long playoff runs, they have nobodies that step up in big moments. Their stars come through for sure, but guys like CJ Anderson, Sammy Watkins, Mostert, for example, were flakes who have had poor or underperformed careers but played big roles in their teams playoff runs. Philly had a backup OT at LT kicking butt all season the year they did it, with a backup QB, and a slew of linebackers and defensive backs who were late round selections or cheap pickups who complimented their defensive unit enough to beat up team after team on their way to a title. New England has been known for cheap finds playing big roles and moving on from them quickly. These are just examples man.

Basically, I'm with you. Mostly. Top of the roster is upper tier. The rest? Really brings down the quality of the whole roster.

Because JG wasnt turning over the bottom of the roster. Just look at what hes done in New York trying to bring in Witten and now signing Rush

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Sorry weirdo franchise QB haters - Dalton knows his place

Dude, there’s only so much you can say in a text... especially when you really don’t know a guy.  I doubt Andy is going to say... Bro, you kinda suck at reading defenses but don’t worry, I’m here to help you out.  Just saying he was available to help out was a good way to sugar coat the obvious awkward situation.

The noteworthy part of the text is that Dak appreciates Andy forthcoming help.

Edited by The_Slamman

17 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Dude, there’s only so much you can say in a text... especially when you really don’t know a guy.  I doubt Andy is going to say... Bro, you kinda suck at reading defenses but don’t worry, I’m here to help you out.  Just saying he was available to help out was a good way to sugar coat the obvious awkward situation.

The noteworthy part of the text is that Dak appreciates Andy forthcoming help.

I think you missed the point of what I am saying. I was joking that Dalton knows he has no chance at starting. 

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think you missed the point of what I am saying. I was joking that Dalton knows he has no chance at starting. 

Why did Dalton reach out first? As the leader of the team and face of the franchise you would think Dak would welcome him to the team?

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Why did Dalton reach out first? As the leader of the team and face of the franchise you would think Dak would welcome him to the team?

Because Daks not on the team right now? He is holding out, he has not signed the franchise.

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:
47 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

But the deal is as good as done

Cute. But as of right now Dak is not a Cowboy.

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Sorry weirdo franchise QB haters - Dalton knows his place

"Hey there Dak, I heard you didn't want to play for the Cowboys. If you want some help moving just let me know buddy. Any way to help you out!"

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

Do you really think For ONE second I would click on any link regarding Skip Bayless??

sad part is I actually did.. :(

So I was thinking about all you short sighted goofballs and I have a question. Lets say you are right. We rescind the tag and roll with Dalton. Dalton plays well. Lets say he wins the division; and hell lets say he wins a playoff game. So the year ends:

Do you franchise Dalton for $35m?

Do you give Dalton a ~$30m/yr contract? 

Do cut Dalton and sign Nathan Peterman because he is cheap?

Whats your long term plan?