Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

31 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

$22.5M non exclusive tag... I can go with that & live with Case of someone gives 2 1st rounders to give a better contract. Who would tho? A team that is available QB away? A GM needing to take a chance or out the door? A good team with their QB retiring?

A foolish team?

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

In other words, the Browns.

If The Browns' GM were to give even ONE of their next 2 1st Rounders to The Vikes for signing Keenum, he'd be fired immediately.  Wouldn't getting The Browns' next 2 1st Rounders be great?  :D

Going back in time here ... can somebody tell me exactly when we traded for Keenum, whose idea it was, and what qualities our coaching staff might have seen in him when he was a Ram?

Not saying anybody could have seen his 2017 performance coming, but I am curious.

Just now, y*so*blu said:

Going back in time here ... can somebody tell me exactly when we traded for Keenum, whose idea it was, and what qualities our coaching staff might have seen in him when he was a Ram?

Not saying anybody could have seen his 2017 performance coming, but I am curious.

Keenum was signed as a FA. The staff must not have valued him particularly highly, other teams too considering he signed a cheap (for a backup QB even) one year contract.

2 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

Is the transition tag still a thing? 

It is technically available but hasn't been much of a thing ever since the Vikings signing of Steve Hutchinson. That poison pill almost made the designation worthless. It has been used since then. Just not much.

59 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Keenum was signed as a FA. The staff must not have valued him particularly highly, other teams too considering he signed a cheap (for a backup QB even) one year contract.

I would agree that other teams in need of a backup QB didn't value him much. The Vikings might have values him more than the contract seemed but the need for a backup QB was questionable with Sam starting and hopes of Teddy coming back. The fact that he was essentially the third QB is what kept his salary down here. It is surprising that no other team would give him more to be a backup. They are kicking themselves by now.

12 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I would agree that other teams in need of a backup QB didn't value him much. The Vikings might have values him more than the contract seemed but the need for a backup QB was questionable with Sam starting and hopes of Teddy coming back. The fact that he was essentially the third QB is what kept his salary down here. It is surprising that no other team would give him more to be a backup. They are kicking themselves by now.

Other teams don't have Shurmur, Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, McKinnon, etc. and [an] injured starting QB(s). IOW, Keenum wouldn't have been able to show his ability and prove his value in any place other than MN.  Thus, we can better understand his track record in his journey to get to MN as a .... journeyman QB.  Perhaps this is where, misquoting ex-Coachilly, 'he makes his landing, burns his longboat, and never looks back'?  {By the way, since Shurmur may potentially leave for a HC job, and a new OC may be needed, what's ex-Coachilly doing these days?}

Slightly off topic; contracts in the near future may be depressed by the loss of interest by many fans.  Revenues are down.  Salaries must follow because the salary cap is very likely to be directly impacted.  But, worry not, Vikings fans; the long, cold winters of Minnesota will certainly be a fringe benefit in lieu of high salaries that will attract free agents to... uh, wait a minute. Um.  OK.  Never mind that fringe benefit stuff.   Let's hope Rick Piccumulator drafts well this off season, with immediate impact players in the trenches.  S'KOLD!

40 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Slightly off topic; contracts in the near future may be depressed by the loss of interest by many fans.  Revenues are down.  Salaries must follow because the salary cap is very likely to be directly impacted.  But, worry not, Vikings fans; the long, cold winters of Minnesota will certainly be a fringe benefit in lieu of high salaries that will attract free agents to... uh, wait a minute. Um.  OK.  Never mind that fringe benefit stuff.   Let's hope Rick Piccumulator drafts well this off season, with immediate impact players in the trenches.  S'KOLD!

Remaining slightly off topic, the projected cap for next year is up from the cap this year. This is an indication that revenues are up, not down as you suggest above. The salary cap is directly tied to revenue. I recognize that this is just a detail of your point. With viewership down it is entirely possible that revenue will be down when the league next signs TV contracts. Will the league be able to make up the difference via online or some other alternative revenue? I have my doubts about that in the short-term but the league will hopefully be able to adjust in the longer-term. You are right, that if the revenue drops the cap will drop and player contracts will necessarily follow just as surely as they have followed the cap upwards. I believe the current TV contracts extend to 2020 so don't expect revenue decline until at least then. The new deals will come out sometime before current expiration giving people an inkling if the revenues and thus cap will decline. A small litmus test may be the Thursday Night package the NFL has been selling year to year.

Verizon and the NFL just inked a $1.5 billion dollar agreement for streaming gams. Revenue is not down in the NFL. 

I doubt total viewership is down all that much, if at all, for the NFL. Traditional TV viewing may have declined, but many people are just finding different and new ways to watch games. 

Archived