2021 Draft Talk

swede700

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

With what San Francisco gave to move up, I think the market has been reset. I could be wrong, but I think trying to get into the top 10 this year will cost more than years past. 

There is a massive difference trading up to #3 compared to #6-10.

Not that I think it'll be cheap, but if no one drops there is no real incentive to move up (which lowers the price to move up)

2 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Would you give up a first to move up for Fields, Jones, or Lance?

Yes. I actually would. I’m a bigger fan of Lance and Fields I think than most. Do I think it’s the right thing or the Vikings would do it? Probably not. I still think Spielman and Zimmer have “win this year” in their head and desperation is setting in. One reason I hate when GMs are so tied heavily into a coach.

15 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I have no issue with them taking a QB they feel will be great, as I don't see a good playoff team here anyway.....

Personally, I disagree.  I don't really think they are all that far away.  I think the offensive line, even as it is currently, could potentially be better than the 2017 offensive line that made the NFCC.  It'll need to be, because Cousins isn't the "off-schedule" QB that Keenum was.  Now, the defense isn't as good yet, but who knows what will happen there with a full offseason.  Do I think they are a Super Bowl team right now?  Absolutely not.  But do I think they can get back to the 2019 level where they win at least 1 game in the playoffs?  Yes. That's why this season is critical.  If they can get back to the playoffs and do some damage, then 2022 will be the year where I believe they can make their run with Cousins. 

That wouldn't deter me from taking a QB though this year if the opportunity presents itself, because ala the Chiefs, a guy like Lance or Fields could potentially elevate the team to greater heights than Cousins can.  

15 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I can't speak for other fans.....but happier than not making the playoffs six of those years, I'd guess.

That was essentially the Denny Green era or the KG era of the Wolves...neither of them made me any happier. In fact, it might have made it worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Would you give up a first to move up for Fields, Jones, or Lance?

Not for Jones. 

I mean, everyone is saying he's going to San Francisco because he's the Kirk Cousins type that Shanahan wants. We have a Kirk Cousins. Sure, maybe Jr. is a lot cheaper than Sr., but if I'm trading away a first round pick, I want a higher ceiling. 

43 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Fantastic insight from Chad Graff, who’s probably the best writer/insider covering the Vikings these days. 

I didn't like the part about them not drafting a QB in the first 5 rounds though.  I would be disappointed at that. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yes. I actually would. I’m a bigger fan of Lance and Fields I think than most. Do I think it’s the right thing or the Vikings would do it? Probably not. I still think Spielman and Zimmer have “win this year” in their head and desperation is setting in. One reason I hate when GMs are so tied heavily into a coach.

Another reason why GMs should not enter a contract year. Either extend them early or fire them early. They should have no inclination to put themselves first before the long-term success of the organization

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Another reason why GMs should not enter a contract year. Either extend them early or fire them early. They should have no inclination to put themselves first before the long-term success of the organization

This isn’t a contract year for either Spielman or Zimmer. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Personally, I disagree.  I don't really think they are all that far away.  I think the offensive line, even as it is currently, could potentially be better than the 2017 offensive line that made the NFCC.  It'll need to be, because Cousins isn't the "off-schedule" QB that Keenum was.  Now, the defense isn't as good yet, but who knows what will happen there with a full offseason.  Do I think they are a Super Bowl team right now?  Absolutely not.  But do I think they can get back to the 2019 level where they win at least 1 game in the playoffs?  Yes. That's why this season is critical.  If they can get back to the playoffs and do some damage, then 2022 will be the year where I believe they can make their run with Cousins. 

That wouldn't deter me from taking a QB though this year if the opportunity presents itself, because ala the Chiefs, a guy like Lance or Fields could potentially elevate the team to greater heights than Cousins can.  

I think the defense bounces back in a huge way as long as Hunter is here and healthy