Overrated Head Coaches

rocky_rams

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'd go the opposite way on Marty. He's underrated based on his inability to win in the playoffs, but that man could build a winner anywhere and everywhere (and did). Hell, he even won in Cleveland.

The Browns didn't have the major loser culture in the 80's like they do today.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Wait, what? They had one of the worst defenses in the league that year.  

In the play offs they allowed 8 points, 6 points, 34 points (against the Pats) and 17 points.

They showed up in the play offs.

Edited by ILoveTheVikings
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

Tony Dungy

Couldn't get over the hump in Tampa

Had Manning and an unreal offense but couldn't build a defense in Indy that could hold up when the offense wasn't putting up a ton of points

Could never adjust the teams gameplan when it had to go into an inevitable cold weather game somewhere come playoff time

Killed his teams momentum when he'd rest players especially when they were heading for 16-0 just to flame out in the playoffs

The year the Colts started out 14-0 and rested starters for the last two games they made it to the Super Bowl. They lost to a better team. Resting starters didn’t have any adverse effect on the team’s playoffs chances 

also that was Jim Caldwell’s team

• Like 2

Jon Gruden and Mike Tomlin are the two that come to mind. Tomlin has always benefitted from having a good team and inherited a great situation. Gruden had success at such a young age that many fans just cant get over. But if you look at his totality of work he is barely over .500

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Playing Trent Green coming off an injury, a 34 year old Steve Mcnair and Rex Grossman is not coming alive.

They were not the reason they won the SB. The offense was. The running game, particularity,  in the SB. 

KC had the league's second top rusher and Indy held him to just 32 yards.

Jamal Lewis: 13 carries, 53 scoreless yards.

Indy does NOT beat us if their defense doesn't hold us to just 13 points in the second half.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Here’s a controversial one: 

what about Mike Holmgren? 

Great QB whisperer, but what about HC?

Ill go to bat on this one. 

Prior to Holmgren's start in 1999, Seattle hadn't been to the playoffs since 1988, hadn't won a playoff game since 1984.

From 1999-2007 Seattle won 5 Division titles (including the AFC WEST),  had six playoff appearances, 4 wins and a Super Bowl appearance.

The wheels completely feel off in 2008.

But Holmgren dragging this lame duck franchise into the limelight deserves a lot of credit, same with plucking Hasselbeck from obscurity, and molding him into a ProBowl level QB. Such an important component to Seattle's success during that stretch. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Playing Trent Green coming off an injury, a 34 year old Steve Mcnair and Rex Grossman is not coming alive.

They were not the reason they won the SB. The offense was. The running game, particularity,  in the SB. 

The offense certainly did NOT get them past the Ravens that year. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'd go the opposite way on Marty. He's underrated based on his inability to win in the playoffs, but that man could build a winner anywhere and everywhere (and did). Hell, he even won in Cleveland.

I once read a comment about Marty: sounds kinda like a Bum Phillips type quote:

"Marty could take a 4-12 team and get them to 10-6 pretty quick
Marty could also take a 12- 4 team and get them to 10-6 pretty quick"

I don't necessarily agree with that comment, but its not far off from his overall perception around the league.
He was an excellent NFL coach, not over rated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

But Holmgren dragging this lame duck franchise into the limelight deserves a lot of credit,

Holmgren dragged our lame duck franchise into the spotlight too
After all that losing, he changed the mentality of the entire org in just a few short years

• Like 4

Probably Sean McVay.  

He's extremely overrated.  Gets his team to the playoffs being one of the youngest head coaches ever, and everybody suddenly jumps on the bandwagon to call him a football genius.  Yeah, he's a real "genius" that chokes in the Super Bowl that Belichick had to run the clock down to win and can't draft players to save his life.  Keeps Jared "dork" Goff at QB and wonders why he misses the playoffs.  Then, gets rid of one of the top 3 RBs in football because he didn't know how to utilize him.  Sorry, but he's just not very bright.  

Mike Tomlin's heavily overrated too. 

I'm really tired of people giving him credit for never having a losing season.  That's just unacceptable.   Wow, good for Mike Tomlin that he never went under 500 the last 10 years!  What an amazing accomplishment.  You know, when at one time, he had an offense that had the talent to actually win another Super Bowl.  But, he just has no control over his team at this point.  No leadership.  No grit.  He hasn't even made an attempt to get another backup QB who's capable of filling in, because it's not like Ben could ever get knocked out for a season again, right?  

Matt LaFleur is disgustingly overrated.  

Shows up and everybody's like "give him more time."  He prefers not to build the offense around Rodgers and goes his own way.  You have perhaps the most naturally talented QB of all time, and you go right ahead and draft another QB.  I mean, LaFleur doesn't even see the reality that he's lucky to even have his job. Who knows?  Maybe Rodgers will find a way to get him out of Green Bay, too.  

And, then there's Pete Carroll.  

Super Bowl 49.  I rest my case.  

Edited by RamblinMan99
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Probably Sean McVay.  

He's extremely overrated.  Gets his team to the playoffs being one of the youngest head coaches ever, and everybody suddenly jumps on the bandwagon to call him a football genius.  Yeah, he's a real "genius" that chokes in the Super Bowl that Belichick had to run the clock down to win and can't draft players to save his life.  Keeps Jared "dork" Goff at QB and wonders why he misses the playoffs.  Then, gets rid of one of the top 3 RBs in football because he didn't know how to utilize him.  Sorry, but he's just not very bright.  

Mike Tomlin's heavily overrated too. 

I'm really tired of people giving him credit for never having a losing season.  That's just unacceptable.   Wow, good for Mike Tomlin that he never went under 500 the last 10 years!  What an amazing accomplishment.  You know, when at one time, he had an offense that had the talent to actually win another Super Bowl.  But, he just has no control over his team at this point.  No leadership.  No grit.  He hasn't even made an attempt to get another backup QB who's capable of filling in, because it's not like Ben could ever get knocked out for a season again, right?  

Matt LaFleur is disgustingly overrated.  

Shows up and everybody's like "give him more time."  He prefers not to build the offense around Rodgers and goes his own way.  You have perhaps the most naturally talented QB of all time, and you go right ahead and draft another QB.  I mean, LaFleur doesn't even see the reality that he's lucky to even have his job. Who knows?  Maybe Rodgers will find a way to get him out of Green Bay, too.  

And, then there's Pete Carroll.  

Super Bowl 49.  I rest my case.  

How is McVay overrated?

He brought a 4-12 team to 11-5 the next year and to the playoffs? 

His second year, his team finished 13-3 and he went to the SB

his third year which was his worst year he went 9-7? 

Although he’s had a very impressive rookie year, nobody has LaFleur in their top 5 HC rankings so you’re blowing smoke on that one. Give him a few more years under his belt 

• Like 5