Bills DL Ed Oliver arrested

EaglesPeteC

37 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I remember reading a story a few years ago that the NFL in their partner cities, as well as major cities where they don't have teams, do have services players can call for instances like this.  That was before Uber and Lyft though, they might just partner with them now.  

It makes sense, stuff like this is a bad look for the league as a whole.

30 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:
2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Why does America use such an unscientific test to determine if someone shouldn't be driving?

Its very accurate actually and has been studied and proven to be effective. 

They also do blood alcohol testing, just not at roadside. They will get blood taken or do the breath test which will be used in court.

40 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

How do you know he did fairly well on a sobriety test?

Compared to the people who are fall down drunk he did well. My guess is he was over .08 but probably not double the legal limit like many that you see taking the tests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Hopefully it's not a continuous problem like it was for Aldon Smith. As a fan, that really sucked to witness a train wreck like that. 

This is where having a coach like McDermott is ideal. He's a great mentor. Hopefully they can get Ed on the right track. Im not worried about how many games he'll be suspened. Im worried this is the start of a trend.

46 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

How do you know he did fairly well on a sobriety test? I'm a cop and do a significant amount of impaired driving enforcement. HGN ( Eye test) is the best test in regards to determining impairment and there is noway any of us knows how he did from that video. Then just from seeing the 2 second clip I observed multiple clues of impairment. Sobriety test is not a pass/fail test. 

I'm not sure if he provided chemical testing, but he'll probably end up taking a plea deal for something. I know hes on your team, but it was no unlawful arrest. 

I said based off the video. Obviously i wasnt there. And obviously its a small sample size. Obviously i cant hear his speech. But based off that video i dont see someone who definitely intoxicated. I do however think he was drunk. Between beer between his legs and having someone report him driving dangerously. However a good lawyer could paint a picture for an unlawful arrest. Just watching the video of the eye test... obviously i cant see his eyes but usually when someone is drunk they tend to move their head. His was straight and never flinched. The only part of that video that makes me believe of a possible intoxication was that one small stumble he had. But once again i do think he was intoxicated... I do believe he needs to be suspended 2 to 3 games. I just think a good lawyer could look at that video and potentiality put doubt in a judges mind and get all charges dropped. There are many lawyers who trained to find faults in sobriety tests and with Olivers money i wouldnt be surprised if he hires a lawyer who could get charges dropped due to unlawful arrest. Of course that would also be dependent on if he refused a breathalyzer and a blood test and Texas laws.

47 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I said based off the video. Obviously i wasnt there. And obviously its a small sample size. Obviously i cant hear his speech. But based off that video i dont see someone who definitely intoxicated. I do however think he was drunk. Between beer between his legs and having someone report him driving dangerously. However a good lawyer could paint a picture for an unlawful arrest. Just watching the video of the eye test... obviously i cant see his eyes but usually when someone is drunk they tend to move their head. His was straight and never flinched. The only part of that video that makes me believe of a possible intoxication was that one small stumble he had. But once again i do think he was intoxicated... I do believe he needs to be suspended 2 to 3 games. I just think a good lawyer could look at that video and potentiality put doubt in a judges mind and get all charges dropped. There are many lawyers who trained to find faults in sobriety tests and with Olivers money i wouldnt be surprised if he hires a lawyer who could get charges dropped due to unlawful arrest. Of course that would also be dependent on if he refused a breathalyzer and a blood test and Texas laws.

Getting charges dropped for a DUI?   That's some major wishful thinking.   The climate around dropping alcohol-related driving charges is pretty frosty, for good reason. 

The most likely best-case result is Oliver agreeing to go to a diversion program - but in the NFL's eyes, that's equivalent to a guilty plea.   Then there's no felony record on his criminal record and post-football life is unaffected - but a plea deal with dropped charges still results in a 2-game suspension at minimum.   Likely for the DUI alone (or a plea deal) it will stay at 2 games, as the provision for more games is if the offence is egregrious, or has other mitigating factors (like causing bodily harm, or a prior history).

The one potential wrench is the weapons charge.   If the weapons charge gets dropped altogether, 2 games seems likely.  If there's a plea there with both the weapons AND DUI, you could see 4-6 total games.    The other part - the NFL won't act until the legal case ends.   We saw that with Antonio Calloway and a bunch of other cases.  I wouldn't expect a whole lot to change timing wise. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It makes sense, stuff like this is a bad look for the league as a whole.

Absolutely agree.  I was never sure why these guys wouldn't avail themselves of those services.  Plus, you figure these guys have entourages dozens deep, why can't someone else drive?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Absolutely agree.  I was never sure why these guys wouldn't avail themselves of those services.  Plus, you figure these guys have entourages dozens deep, why can't someone else drive?  

I mean, what’s the point of keeping all these folks around you if they can’t at least stay sober and drive? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, what’s the point of keeping all these folks around you if they can’t at least stay sober and drive? 

Exactly.  They just end up taking all of your money in the end, like Clinton Portis, so at least use them to stay sober and drive.  

• Like 1