Teams can no longer block assistant coaches from interviewing for Coordinator positions

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I honestly thought this was already a thing.  I didn't think they could block the move if it was deemed a promotion, only lateral moves.  And that is where a lot of teams started to get passing game and running game coordinators on both sides of the ball, to give them more authority and title to hold onto them.  I guess this eliminates the need for that?  

After the SB, the Chief blocked Mike Kafka from interviewing for the Eagles OC position. They promoted him to passing game coordinator Just like you said lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

After the SB, the Chief blocked Mike Kafka from interviewing for the Eagles OC position. They promoted him to passing game coordinator Just like you said lol.

Yeah this rule change is just going to **** us over. Not a fan.

30 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Yeah this rule change is just going to **** us over. Not a fan.

All it means is that they can't block a guy like Kafka from interviewing...it doesn't mean that he'd get the job.  It can't be anything but a positive, because it allows him to get more interviewing experience.  It may even help him become a better coach, because he'll know what other teams are looking for.

48 minutes ago, swede700 said:

All it means is that they can't block a guy like Kafka from interviewing...it doesn't mean that he'd get the job.  It can't be anything but a positive, because it allows him to get more interviewing experience.  It may even help him become a better coach, because he'll know what other teams are looking for.

Interesting point, but the time Mike Kafka spends preparing for another job and thinking about life in a different city is time that should be spent on play designs and concepts that will help the Chiefs defend our superbowl title. Because dammit nothing feels better than banging the chiefs are going to win the superbowl drum all season long and being right.

We already have our coaches get poached enough as is. The previous rule stopped our former coordinators from bringing even more of our staff along with them to their new head coaching jobs. Cause think about it, you just got promoted, you wanna bring your boys with you and promote them as well.

Edited by Kirill

26 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Interesting point, but the time Mike Kafka spends preparing for another job and thinking about life in a different city is time that should be spent on play designs and concepts that will help the Chiefs defend our superbowl title.

There's 24 hours in a day.  No one can possibly spend 16 hours of them just designing plays.  There's plenty of time to do both and still be prepared to defend a title.

This needed to be done and I am glad it happened. More positional coaches will get the opportunity for Coordinator jobs now and not get stuck as a positional coach because a team already has a coordinator and doesnt want them to leave so they block them. It gives them an opportunity to grow and get to the HC spot in a more conventional way rather then some coaches go from positional to HC. Just because these coaches get the opportunity to be Coordinators doesnt mean they will automatically get the job nor automatically want to take it. I am sure some of you have gone on interviews to gain the experience but also to go back to your current jobs asking for a pay raise or a better job title because this new company is willing to offer your a job. Same can be done with coaches now. People forget that by blocking them from getting a better job means they also are stuck with what they are getting paid unless a new one is agreed upon at the time. 

Nice to see the waterboy can become a water coaching assistant now. 

It's a good move for the league but is probably gonna overall screw over coaching consistency across the league. Guys should get chances at promotions but no denying this means "COORDINATOR" is gonna get added to a lot of job titles in the coming years.

Looking forward to "water boy coordinator" in 2022. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Wow. I didn't even know teams could do that. That's messed up. Great change. 

Same I thought anyone could interview for a job as long as it was a promotion and not during their season.  It's great this is now how it should've been the whole time.

23 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Why not delay when coaches are hired to after the Super Bowl or Conference Championship Games instead?

I thought the same thing, but look at what happens with trades and FA signings.  They are already announced before the periods begin for those.  You will see the same tampering as far as coaches are concerned.  

On 5/20/2020 at 11:23 AM, Kirill said:

We already have our coaches get poached enough as is. The previous rule stopped our former coordinators from bringing even more of our staff along with them to their new head coaching jobs. Cause think about it, you just got promoted, you wanna bring your boys with you and promote them as well.

It's a problem that doesn't exist... yet.  When it becomes a problem, the league will adjust.  More or less exactly the same way this rule change to stop blocking interviews came about.

On 2020-05-20 at 10:47 AM, swede700 said:

I've always thought that HCs blocking assistants from interviewing often came from the assistant not wanting to officially decline an interview with a bad team. For example, the 0-16 Browns come calling a HC to interview a QB coach to be their OC, the HC talks to the assistant, who says "No way, bro. Block this and I owe you one". It's the HC's job to look like a jerk in this situation. In some situation, this leads to the assistant even getting a raise and an extension (à la Mike Lafleur) just to stay in a good situation, while waiting for the great offer they won't turn down. So all in all, I don't think it will change a whole lot. It's just that we'll hear about these assistants declining interviews, rather than hear about HCs blocking interviews. I don't think most HCs are tyrants who would deny their coaches a great opportunity without discussing it with them. Back to the Mike Lafleur example, we blocked him from interviewing with his brother, but then he signed an extension... so, did we really deny him an opportunity, or did he just do exactly what he wanted to do?

On 5/21/2020 at 4:50 AM, SwoleXmad said:

Nice to see the waterboy can become a water coaching assistant now. 

It's a good move for the league but is probably gonna overall screw over coaching consistency across the league. Guys should get chances at promotions but no denying this means "COORDINATOR" is gonna get added to a lot of job titles in the coming years.

Looking forward to "water boy coordinator" in 2022. 

I definitely see a lot of "Co-Coordinator" like you see in college coming very quickly.  

• Like 1