TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you.  I know we are going to give it at least one season.  I'm not overly into Sci-Fi, but the look of this show is movie quality.  It's pretty amazing.

There have been very few instances in my life where I've jumped off my couch and celebrated after a scene in a show. Only two that I can recall: 

The scene in The Wire when Omar testifies in court.

And in this must recent season of The Expanse when Amos decides he is in fact THAT DUDE.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

On 7/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

There have been very few instances in my life where I've jumped off my couch and celebrated after a scene in a show. Only two that I can recall: 

The scene in The Wire when Omar testifies in court.

And in this must recent season of The Expanse when Amos decides he is in fact THAT DUDE.

Thanks to your recommendation I am working through season one.

I LOVED the Firefly series. Smart and funny.

I think The Expanse may be better. Intelligent and gritty.

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

Little bit different feel, but I feel like those two are probably the standard bearers for the Sci Fi Genre.

People will get mad at me for saying it, but while StarTrek TNG and DS9, (and Stargate SG1) are great shows, they don't have quite as tight an overarching narrative, partly caused by era.

Battlestar Galactica has moments of stunning brilliance, but got rough towards the end. 

I need to watch Farscape and Babylon 5. I feel like I'm missing a few others . . .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Little bit different feel, but I feel like those two are probably the standard bearers for the Sci Fi Genre.

People will get mad at me for saying it, but while StarTrek TNG and DS9, (and Stargate SG1) are great shows, they don't have quite as tight an overarching narrative, partly caused by era.

Battlestar Galactica has moments of stunning brilliance, but got rough towards the end. 

I need to watch Farscape and Babylon 5. I feel like I'm missing a few others . . .

Agree with most of this. TNG has almost no narrative over a season. Kind of like comfort food of sci-fi. DS9 is more serialized and I think as a result has a little more character development but it was really at the beginning of the era of serialized television and if that overarching narrative is what you’re looking for, it’s not going to be the greatest example. 

I’ve started BSG two or three times and just never gotten to the end. I feel like it lures you in with the prospect of exploring survival and rebuilding a society from the ground up and then ends up turning into something about space religion that I wasn’t into. If it had ended up being the show that it looked like it was for the first few seasons, it would have been really interesting. 

19 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Try 'The Lost Room' (3x 2hr episodes, TV mini-series 2006). I like the idea of something magical happening to otherwise mundane objects, after a significant event.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Agree with most of this. TNG has almost no narrative over a season. Kind of like comfort food of sci-fi. DS9 is more serialized and I think as a result has a little more character development but it was really at the beginning of the era of serialized television and if that overarching narrative is what you’re looking for, it’s not going to be the greatest example. 

I’ve started BSG two or three times and just never gotten to the end. I feel like it lures you in with the prospect of exploring survival and rebuilding a society from the ground up and then ends up turning into something about space religion that I wasn’t into. If it had ended up being the show that it looked like it was for the first few seasons, it would have been really interesting. 

Agreed completely with BSG. The back end is painful. There are just some scenes that are so excellent it's almost impossible to replicate. The political drama of the early seasons with trying to balance martial law and the rights of the people are just exceptional. I won't post it because it will get this thread closed, but Adama's take on the difference between police and the military has maybe never been more relevant than this week.

I will also say that Adama's "So say we all" speech at the end of the BSG pilot is maybe my favorite speech in television history. 

Watching college football games today from last year.

So far I've watched

Coast guard vs merchant marine

D3 championship

D2 championship

And now I'm watching some Canadian college versus a Mexican college. 

You guys believe I'm Ted Thompson yet?

Austin Reed from West Florida might be a tryout QB type one day btw

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Watching college football games today from last year.

So far I've watched

Coast guard vs merchant marine

D3 championship

D2 championship

And now I'm watching some Canadian college versus a Mexican college. 

You guys believe I'm Ted Thompson yet?

Austin Reed from West Florida might be a tryout QB type one day btw

Did you get that good Marc-Antoine Dequoy tape?

On 7/23/2020 at 5:01 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Try 'The Lost Room' (3x 2hr episodes, TV mini-series 2006). I like the idea of something magical happening to otherwise mundane objects, after a significant event.

That was a miniseries with a truly inspired premise that I just didn’t like.  I loved that premise of that sort of underworld of characters all fighting over those magical items and feel like it should have been much larger (and better) than it was.

I have watched two Korean shows on netflix.  I either picked the right two, or there are a group of late 40s-mid 50s Korean men that are awesome bad guys.  I watched: The King: Eternal Monarch and Rugal

Currently I am watching Reckoning, and I am almost done with it.  Next I am going to watch some thing that looks like it was inspired by Dungeons and Dragons, but I can't remember what it is called right now.

Does anyone like the short films on youtube ? They can be about 12 to 20 minutes long. There are plenty out there.

For example:

https://youtu.be/DxzIpduj0io    Once upon a time    (the youtube heading is 'Best Short Film Ever' it isn't that, but it's amusing to watch).

https://youtu.be/DxzIpduj0io     The gunfighter         (it can be tough to do comedy well)

Here is a longer one, nearly 30 mins.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive