Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

The 1990 Bills scored 95 points in their first 2 playoff games.

They were a 6 1/2 point favorite over the 13-3 Giants who just shut down the 14-2 49ers in SF.

BB shut them down in part by crushing Reed and Thomas after catching short passes over the middle.

The NFL put his game plan in the Hall of Fame after the game.

Maybe Hostetler carried them? 🤡

It was the 2nd time in 5 weeks that BB and co held them to 17  (the offense gave up 2 on the safety)

The Giants lost 17-13 in December in the game where Simms got hurt.

As to Cleveland, you either understand it or you don't. See the 2015 Rams for a hint.

He turned an end of the road 3-13 team into an 11-5 playoff wining team in 4 years. Then they announced the move to Baltimore. Maybe Testaverde carried them to that 1996 success? 🤡

Bill did teach his Cleveland DC for 4 years there. How'd he turn out? (the other football coach GoaT)

Parcells took BB to the Jets as DC after that.

They turned the Jets from Kotite's Klowns (4-28 in 2 years) to 12-4 and in the AFCCG in 2 years.

The D went from 29/27 in 1996 to 2/7 in 1998.

Maybe Testaverde carried them again? 🤡

I guess its possible in a clueless sort of way to crow about BB building a 6 SB dynasty by starting out 5-11 in year 1 in 2000 as some sort of football fan life validation? Maybe people could tattoo that record on their foreheads and chant it at games?

• Walsh started out 8-24
  • Noll started out 12-30
  • Landry started out 18-46-5 including 0-11-1 in year one.
  • Jimmy Johnson started out 8-24 including 1-15 in year one.
  • Parcells was 3-12-1

That's a lot of Super Bowls and gold jackets.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Now count BB's record as a DC in NY/NY and NE as well. (awww, doesn't fit the weak sauce narrative. does it?)

Let us know when Brady has more SB rings than Belichick. It will take 2 more rings unless Bill gets another one.

Brady is the GoaT. (player)

BB is also the GoaT. (coach)

People who try to diminish BB are failing badly 24/7. You can have max respect for Brady (I do) and also have respect for Belichick. 

I'm far from any kind of BB-hater, but I don't think anyone in the "Brady made Bill" camp has ever argued against the idea BB is one of the greatest defensive coaches and game-planners of all time, just that his reputation as a HC is exaggerated because he lucked into the GOAT QB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Now count BB's record as a DC in NY/NY and NE as well. (awww, doesn't fit the weak sauce narrative. does it?)

Let us know when Brady has more SB rings than Belichick. It will take 2 more rings unless Bill gets another one.

Brady is the GoaT. (player)

BB is also the GoaT. (coach)

People who try to diminish BB are failing badly 24/7. You can have max respect for Brady (I do) and also have respect for Belichick. 

Nobody said it's impossible for them both to be great.  It's entirely possible that Belichick could do well without Brady in comparison to the average coach, but still do far more poorly than he would with Brady.

As for Super Bowl rings, Belichick doesn't have a single one as a head coach without Brady, whereas Brady got one immediately after leaving Belichick, with a team that went 7-9 the previous season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

So you're saying that having a good QB helps a coach to win games?

I'm saying Bill Belichick is highly unlikely to recapitulate the 2001-2019 dynasty without having extremely good quarterback play.  All of that didn't happen in spite of Brady -- it happened in very large part because of him.

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I'm far from any kind of BB-hater, but I don't think anyone in the "Brady made Bill" camp has ever argued against the idea BB is one of the greatest defensive coaches and game-planners of all time, just that his reputation as a HC is exaggerated because he lucked into the GOAT QB.

His reputation is what it is because he had a nearly 20-year dynasty in the league.  Replace Brady with Joe Flacco for example and Belichick is likely one of the best coaches in the league nonetheless, but far from accomplishing a 20-year dynasty.

There is no level of head coaching expertise that can accomplish a 20-year dynasty without having the key ingredient of winning in the league -- great quarterback play.

Find an NFL dynasty in history that didn't feature a HoF quarterback -- you won't.

3 hours ago, The Guy said:

His reputation is what it is because he had a nearly 20-year dynasty in the league.  Replace Brady with Joe Flacco for example and Belichick is likely one of the best coaches in the league nonetheless, but far from accomplishing a 20-year dynasty.

There is no level of head coaching expertise that can accomplish a 20-year dynasty without having the key ingredient of winning in the league -- great quarterback play.

Find an NFL dynasty in history that didn't feature a HoF quarterback -- you won't.

Remember, Joe Gibbs won Super Bowls with 3 different QBs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Every coach in NFL history 'lucked into the players they had' Same goes for all other sports.

This doesn't really mean anything.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Gibbs started at 8-8, won soon after, won 2 more times, left the sport and absolutely dominated NASCAR.

Respect

He's still not Bill though.

Didn’t say he was Bill. I stand by the fact that he asked someone to name a dynasty without a HOF QB and I did.

Edited by MWil23

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

You could point to the Ray Lewis Ravens as another.

I like Flacco more than other people but nowhere near HoF.

Dilfer and Flacco rings and 14 playoff wins in 13 years.

Is not a Dynasty, in the slightest. Just a perenial playoff contender for 13 years.